Posts by whitav8

I've noticed extra head movement "wobble" with my Quest 2 on wired Link and direct Oculus connection at startup - as opposed to the SteamVR connection which is smooth as you rotate your head on the ground with no flying. I noticed that months ago but failed to report it since the SteamVR approach was fine and I wondered if some updates from IPACS would fix it. Maybe it's not that important since there is a work around (use SteamVR) but I was doing some testing today and decided to take the time to report it. I imagine that some setting (enabled/disabled ) or maybe an HMD accelerometer gain is too high. It is very pronounced so my head must remain very fixed to tolerate while flying - thumping the HMD with a finger causes a lot of vibration in the scene. Again, there is no problem with Q2+Link+SteamVR or HP Reverb+WMR.

My PC is a 9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070+32gbRAM. My performance at ORBX Monterrey+EC135 heli is about 60fps (resolution set at 3500x3500 or so) without motion smoothing (ASW for Q2) so I use ASW and get a very solid 45fps so that a tail rotor turn is very smooth visually - not stutters.

You should be able to run AFS2 at maybe 45fps or better with Quest2 VR using Link or Airlink or even better, Virtual Desktop. The hand controllers will show up as blue semitransparent hands that can grip the yoke and push buttons - or you can use the hand controller joysticks for control. Also, if you hold down the left controller joystick button for one second (this works for sure with Virtual Desktop), you get an opportunity to change views and for two seconds, back to home menu.

A very important concern on a Windows 10 laptop that has both a discrete (accelerated Nvidia or AMD) GPU AND on-CPU-chip GPU of lesser performance, you must use the Win 10 graphics settings to identify that a given app needs to run on the discrete GPU. Settings->Display->Graphics Settings Graphics Performance Preference and there browse for the EXE and set to High Performance. Also, you should list Oculus Client, and OVR Server.

You have to adjust a lot of parameters to get decent clarity and performance, but most likely, you will like the Laptop VR performance of FS2.

TomSimMuc,

Thanks much for the help - now for the weird part - I moved to your precise location and I saw the kc10 - flew into contact position - and then restarted and I don't see the kc10 now. There is something about my config ( and perhaps addons and their locations ) that is nonrepeatable. Wasn't there a big change to either TSC files and naming conventions or something that I might have missed. TBH, I haven't flown FS2 at any addon location for a while - just focused on "official DLC". Maybe I have some addon scenery that messes up other things like kc10??

Lucas Bravo,

Thanks for the quick response on DEV cam - very useful. I really can't find the tanker for sure now - hard to know how to start precisely - but when I move north/south of my starting point quite a bit, I don't see the tanker dc-10. I have it in Documents/Aerofly FS2/scenery/places

For those of us that can't find it, maybe our installation is somehow wrong.. - When I look through the tm.log, I don't see any mention of kc10 - I see FS2 looking through addons but not scenery/places?

TomSimMuc, how about a picture where both (F-18 and DC-10) are near each other at the very beginning after startup.

To go along with a low priced PC or laptop (and as long as you already have a Facebook account ), you can get the Quest2 VR HMD for $299 with maybe some sort of a discount and get great VR with AFS2! Either wirelessly or with a $15 USB-A to USB-C cable, you will get great performance for not too much $$ and the clarity and FOV is almost as good as a Reverb g1 or G2.

Dave W.

Jan or admin,

Is there a chance that you could help us new Quest2 users get back to the FS2 user menus - see the above from querty42 for details. Thanks for your effort. This new wireless VR concept that allows us to fly FS2 away from our keyboard or HOTAS is really amazing - from the comfort of my easy chair - and also staying in the family den (no local PC) for when socially distanced friends come over. Hopefully the code change isn't too significant.

Thanks

Dave W.

Thanks for your comments - but what I meant about the ESC key was not to be able to assign it to a joystick button (done that ) but to assign it to the Q2 hand controllers. I think I read that the ESC function is some combination of hand controller buttons so I will research that.

qwerty42,

Thanks for your feedback. A couple questions:

1) With wireless Virtual Desktop ( and not near the PC ) how do you assign a Quest2 controller button to the key "ESC" so you can get to the setting pages?

2) Is there any future ability to get ASW / Motion Reprojection for wireless VD

3) If you use the Link Cable, can you get some ASW?

Also, a comment on full FOV clarity for the Quest 2 versus the Reverb G2. Others have tested what I will call Full FOV clarity (the desire only at this state of evolution in HMDs. of course) so that glass cockpit instrument panels like the Dash8 or 777 (FS2 aircraft) can be seen with PFD and NAV/MFD at the same time with only eye gaze changes - not head movement. I found for my visual characteristics (face shape, IPD, and lens prescription) that the Q2 and Reverb G1 were much better for me than G2. The following detailed reports (Use Translate from Spanish to English ) spell it out:

https://www.realovirtual.com/articulos/5693…erb-g2-analisis

https://www.realovirtual.com/articulos/5646…uest-2-analisis

Yes, I have an HP Reverb G1 for VR and most of the VR discussion focus right now has been about the new G2. However, I came across some articles about using the new Oculus Quest2 along with an application on the Quest2 (previously on Windows) called Virtual Desktop which acts as a conduit with some addon patching called Sidequest to permit Wireless VR. For best performance, a new 1Gbps router ($70USD or so) is added to your current router system so you can have a dedicated connection to your PC. The Quest 2 then uses that wireless connection to receive the VR image from your already well equipped VR ready PC and the quest controllers are used to fly the plane instead of the HOTAS unless you sit near them or have a Bluetooth HOTAS. The freedom from the tethered cable is really amazing amd other PC games that run only on a PC (like Half life:Alyx) can be enjoyed with this wireless setup. I know that you think this would not really work well - the video should be artifacted and blurry and the latency should be excessive - but it's not! I flew FS2 around in the 777 and the EFIS displays (update rates on the Q2 include 60,72,80, and 90) were quite crisp and the "sweet spot" in the Q2 is wide enough so that both the PFD and NAV MFD were clear without moving my head. The latency is about 40 msec so only the quickest games would suffer at all. I provide a couple links to read about it all:

Software Steps:

https://darkuni.medium.com/quest-newbie-t…op-9796427cdd0c

Youtube:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Think about it!

If any of you are possibly needing a new laptop for household use but want to consider spending just a little more ($300 or so) to be able to run Aerofly FS2 on it with an HP Reverb (G1 or G2) or equivalent VR HMD, it actually works well! I bought the Dell G5 SE 5505 which is all AMD (4800H CPU and 5600M GPU with Display Port 1.4 ) for $899USD and there are several otherlaptops to choose from at that price from HP or Acer - maybe others. Some are the usual Intel / Nvidia and some are mixed. I have a 9700K+RTX2070 as well for more challenging VR applications but FS2 really looks fine at 45fps with SteamVR reprojection. Using a laptop instead of a desktop gives you freedom of location - perhaps to a bigger room like for me - the family room. Just take the headset and a joystick and off you go!

Already works great (Reverb G1 - same screen resolution ) with an RTX2070 - it usually needs SteamVR reprojection though - so it is actually running at 45FPS since it is slower than 90 doing such a large FOV twice for stereo. This is with SteamVR SuperSampling set at 2160x2160 native resolution (100%)

I have both an HMD for VR and three 21" Acer HD screens ($110 each) since I can connect all of them from an Nvidia RTX2070 (the HMD, a Reverb, needs a Display Port). When I am using the HMD for VR, the three screens are available as well and are canted at about 30 degrees to each other for a total of 90 degrees. I can run a wide screen configuration (3x1920x1080) but of course there are bezels in between.

All EC-135 Pilots,

If you want a fun test of your mastery of the new heli, just position yourself in downtown San Francisco at dusk/night and first fly through (I don't mean under!) the Golden Gate bridge at maybe 80 knots and then do the Bay Bridge where you really have to be even more careful staying low and centered (catch a rotor (crash) and up you go). You have to go up and over at Treasure Island - there is no tunnel. Really a blast! Thanks IPACS for a great new view on scenery (do your point-at turn-arounds using the Transamerica building for example and a fun to fly experience - especially for us fixed wing guys! This is just sensational in VR (especially the Reverb )

Especially if you have VR, try operating the FS2 777 at ORBX Innsbruck. You barely have enough runway to takeoff/land and taxiing by the static aircraft is a real challenge (try doing a circle taxi in the minimal size open spot - I had to use some of the grass area - and the wing almost hits ). The exciting fantasy part is using the "1" view-change key to ride up on the vertical tail or underneath behind the main landing gear - wow - what a huge aircraft the 777 is! You can really enjoy the ailerons+spoiler animations as well as the landing gear. And then the beautiful mountain scenery just adds to the excitement - also, fly and especially taxi at night with a moonlit sky past the static aircraft - very cool - yes I know, taxi surface lighting and tail logos aren't correct but the aircraft themselves look great in the dim light.

I have a great experience in VR flying in the left seat and watching the glass panels and flying by the numbers - but face it, the sim can provide some real fun once in a while - try and see!

I would imagine that the flickering during loading of a scenario / mission in DCS, IL-2, and now FS-2 could be fixed with a very simple change in coding - probably setting a mode bit. But WMR and SteamVR reprojection are the culprits. Not every app has this problem so it can be dealt with (easily ).