Posts by frui

Yes I have, I've used Ortho4xp in Xplane 11 in the same area and although it's a little more user friendly Xplane has this haze to it that I just can't stand, so on the whole I think my scenery looks a lot better in FS2😎

Ortho4xp X-plane scenery is even more blurrier than FSET FSX scenery, but X-plane 11 has better memory management than FSX so there are less cases not showing ground texture some distance away. AFS2 has better overall image clarity and better memory management. Wish GeoConvert can get better with more related development.

If I download a 0.5m resolution map with FSET, and I convert it to level 14, will I still get 1m resolution? So there is no sense to download a 0.5m resolution map if I only use level 14? Then why the wiki still suggest using level 14 or 15 for the 0.5m map?

No, level 0 covers the whole earth and has roughly 40000km/2048 per pixel.

The higher the level, the higher the detail, e.g. level 15 is roughly 50cm per pixel. I wouldn't recommend to use it, when flying at 500 feet or higher its hardly visible.

I'd like to know the exact meaning of "level" too.

From my experience, I guess level means not the resolution, but the distance from which the ground texture will be shown. For example, with level 9, you can see the texture from pretty far away, but with level 14, you can only see ground texture when you are very close to the ground.

This is only my guess. If I am true, I'd also like to know how each level is related to the distance.

To get scenery levels to show at 0 -1 or -2 do I have to go above 14 in the tmc file.What do levels 12 13 14 and 15 display down to in resolution.

Or we make collectively create a database with growing number of ILS, VOR, NDB, etc. which is embedded into AFS2. That will eventually make AFS2 having all the nav data of the world.

With everybody actively making photosceneries and airports, it's not a dream we can fly all over the world in the near future. The future of AFS2 is really bright indeed. You are on the right road.

The "black areas" Jetjockey10 mentioned is most likely missing texture from the source map service, and the "temporary lined areas" he mentioned is most likely the stripes we have been complaining about. Jeff said that this is the blend technique used for meshing the geoconvert scenery with default/DLC scenery. I really wish they are looking into this and get it resolved soon.

I made a small area over San Francisco airport. It still has stripes outside it.

It's downloaded from VE, 0.5cm, level 11, 12, 13, 14. I have also attached the FSET coordinates:

I have actually tested overlaying geoconvert scenery directly over San Francisco DLC scenery and it worked perfectly, even over an airport. This isn't to say that there will be issues unforeseen. My advice is to just test a small area over an airport and see if it works for you.

You have a very clear description of the potential chaotic situation we are destined to encounter if there is no clear set of rule of scenery priority. What a mess it would be!

That's all the more reason why we users need to have the choice to control the scenery priority. I still suggest something like an .ini file which has all the names of the GeoConverter scenery folders whose order can be adjusted to determine the scenery priority, while all DLCs can be represented with just a universal name. Thus we don't need to know the name of all the DLC scenery folders, and this can make things much easier.

Hi Jeff, what's your computer specification?

My computer will crash when converting an area larger than 15nmx15nm, 0.5m resolution (0).

My computer is 16GB memory, CPU 4790k@4.2.

It will also take more than 6 hours to compile an area smaller than 15nmx15nm.

I think that setting priority of scenery to be shown can lead to the solution to the the current abnormal stripes showing around the GeoConverter scenery. It will disable the scenery you don't want to see, and eliminate the potential conflict.

I am most eager to see this feature also because I'd like to redo the existing DLC areas such as San Francisco. Good as it is, its color is bland, and its resolution is not enough. I just pulled the VE map of San Francisco area. Its color is much more vibrant, even though not so consistent, and the resolution is much higher. Just imagine the beautiful trees and buildings on top of the beautiful 50cm ground textures I made myself!

I will tried to find an online storage space to upload the scenery.

And it's easy to reproduce my scenery with the coordinates I have provided:

Coordinates: 7.00 46.00, 8.00 45.50

Level: 9, 11, 12, 13

Resolution: 0(50cm, and 1(1m).

I think this is a very urgent problem because it has appeared in all the high resolution DLC areas that is adjacent to the GeoConverter content. It even appeared in default low resolution terrains according to Trespassers. This will ruin the beautiful scenery made with GeoConverter and make it virtually unusable.

Thanks to you users who are carefully debugging this issue. It is now time for the iPACs devs to step in and help. Could one of you users provide a simple example that shows the stripes and provide it to the developers?

Thanks