Posts by larrylynx

AFCS engaged and you can use trim, heading hold and Bar Alt so I guess that is the easy mode.

AFCS not engaged and its all raw flying

Not a Easy versus Professional mode but best I can come up with

You can also use the drift gauge to help with hover, it will tell you if you are drifting forward/backwards or left/right. The gauge just below the trim switch

Steve

I believe VRM are, a Virtual cockpit with a motion platform

What I am referring to is a physical sim, with hardware switches, knobs, real seats etc. To this end FS2 are not cockpit builder friendly, having built many real physical sims I would be very happy if FS2 would support this

Missing > at the end in both input_sound and input_switch

<[event_sound][SwitchSound][]

Should be

<[event_sound][SwitchSound][]

>

Perhaps just a copy error when you pasted.

In the input_switch your using the same SwitchSound.Trigger

Try

<[string8][Events] [ SwitchSoundOn.Trigger ]>

<[string8][EventsRelease][ SwitchSoundOff.Trigger ]>

Would need to change your event_sound at the top to SwitchSoundOn, then make a new entry for SwitchSoundOff,

like this

<[event_sound][SwitchSoundOn][]

>

<[event_sound][SwitchSoundOff][]

>

<[input_switch][LeftBoostPumpSwitch][]

<[string8][Input][Fuel.BoostPumpLeft]>

<[float64][Value][0.0]>

<[string8][Events] [ SwitchSoundOn.Trigger ]>

<[string8][EventsRelease][ SwitchSoundOff.Trigger ]>

>

Steve

FS2 is not cockpit builder friendly, full stop.

No user defined buttons and as you say, no Air Manager support. Shame really as I could strip out all the graphics for my Lynx and we would have a very good cockpit heli sim for once.

Looks to me that you do not have any sound entries, have you added a sound section to the TMD file, they are normally at the end after the graphics,

Starts with

<[pointer_list_tmuniverse][SoundObjects][]

Steve

Ray, to track your white areas have a look at the UV map for the fuselage, etc as they are all on there. Try colouring the area you suspect a vibrant colour, fluorescent pink or green, help to identify stuff as the background is white already

Still feel like something the cat dragged in

steve

Jedtcat

Thanks for the video, a few comments, explanations and err sorry corrections

Rotors turning on load, FS2 doesn't allow engines shutdown loading so I immediately shut everything off on load to achieve this, yes I cheat.

Pilot mode switch is to the right of the MASS knob and above the 3 MI indicators, It selects the navigation mode, co-pilot also has one on the left side of his Main Panel

MASS switch.. Master Arm Safety Switch.. Used with the TOW missile system

ACC Drive/Main Drive switch. You could just move the ECL forward so you can see the switch and then move the ECL back. Talking ECL, the ground idle position is quite close to the off position, should be a slight detent noticed, could do with being stronger but I do not know how to adjust that. Ground idle should be around 62%, not much more

Rotor turning, That's a FS2 problem, I'm pushing the simulator to do things it doesn't like doing to achieve an accurate Lynx start sequence. Plus I noticed your ECL was too far forward, see above. Your No2 is reading 75%, This means the free turbine wants to spin and is being held by the rotor brake, this is putting quite a strain on the system, both sim and a real life Lynx, in fact 75% is above the rotor brake limit of 69%

Position/Demand on AFCS display box, this shows the position of the demanded verses the actually control position. You could apply lots of trim (demanded) but until the system is powered the position will be different. The Lynx does not have manual reversion, without hydraulic power the control sticks do nothing but if for example maintenance had been running the system and shut it down with full deflection you as a pilot would have no warning until you started the rotors, hence the need to check when Hydraulic power becomes available. Also, this check is essential when doing a main drive start

Trim wheels, this is checked via needles on the AFCS demand, AFCS display box.

AFCS lights, they are lighting, its the sunlight that's showing them as dimmed

IFF is used for transponder so we can use the Radar Contact add on

TANS, Tactical Air Navigation System, not used as yet..far to complicated for me to program

Drift gauge. This is underneath the trim switch. Shows fore and aft speed plus lateral drift

Things start to get screwy when you select main because your doing it wrong. the No1 ECL needs to be at ground Idle, this reduces the load on the No1 actuated freewheel. FS2 doesn't have one of these so I made my own but it functions as it should, hence the check, No2 forward, No1 back and a positive NF split, this is to protect the No1 freewheel. FS2 is a bit laggy with the split and does need the ECL to be a ground idle, close to off

ECL and SSL lever movement, just click on it and drag sideways

Matching the torque, or rotors as you say (21.19) this is to ensure both engines are matched so they share the load and its the torque gauge you need to look at not the triple gauge (NR and both engine NF), these are matched via the knob on the end of the SSL. We do it all the time in a real one. FS2 does a very good job at keeping them together, that's a computer for you

As I said, its an accurate representation ;)

Thanks again

Steve

As Ray seems intent on repainting most of the Lynx I have just uploaded the main and tail rotor paintkits, guess he wants some red and white blades to go with his red and white Lynx....colour coded eh :)

Martin..No such things as ground friction, would be great to have a dynamics entry that I could just put a figure into but there isn't. Only thing I can adjust is the tail offset to stop it turning around on the ground, ie adding a bit of tail rotor pedal, also relates to the hover which is why the Lynx pretty much stays straight as you add power. Perhaps this will be come more or less of an issue with a wheeled helicopter, time will tell

Steve

Hi John

In my Man Flu fuelled stupor I was going to type, do it yourself, then I realised, actually you can't.

The helicopter TMD is encrypted unlike it's aircraft counterpart so your a bit knackered. Guess this isn't something the guys at IPACS thought about so perhaps they can introduce a camera.tmd file, used only for camera adjustments.

Right I'm off back to bed so no more questions <X

Told you I was bad, even got the name wrong, should have been Greg :whistling:

Just recenter the trim, you may have a lot of trim from forward flight and the sim doesn't like it very much making the Lynx quite light on the skids. You can check it in the AFCS display

I'm sure the guys at IPACS will be working hard on all aspects.

John (nexus), I looked at fixing the problem, the texture map is easy to re-do, as is moving the ECL forward some more. Problem then arises with all the engine figures which start to change as they are all linked, great... Think my next project will be a paper dart :rolleyes: Ground idle is pretty close to off, if you move the ECL from off you should feel a slight resistance, wish it was more pronounced, maybe it can be adjusted, will check that also. Has to go all the way back to near off to get the NF to fall back.

John Hargreaves, My next less complicated helicopter is the CH53E, guess that will push the sim hard, 4 engines (APU is an engine) 7 blades and a canted tail rotor, Systems are proving a challenge but my old brain need to be kept active

Steve

As I said, initially they were. Their position is governed by some code in the graphics section which in turn is governed by the code in the dynamics section. To correct this I would need to make adjustments, recompile and the release just a TMQ file. We are then in a situation where files are not matched up. 2 TMQ files and endless comments just for the sake of a graphics correction. If I ever need to do some major mods to the Lynx I will update the graphics on the ECL

If you look at the real throttle the detent peg (just seen on the left one) on the ECL is at the front, so when the ECL is closed for instance the detent that you see is actually away from where ECL centre is giving the illusion that detent is in the wrong place. These detents are adjustable to help set the engines up. what you see at the ground idle detent is actually a range the lever can be in.

When I first made the Lynx the ECL movement was mostly full travel but as development continued the engines changed quite a bit. The is zero information on the engines and how to set them up, it was lots of trial and lots of error. Thankfully as an ex aircraft tech I understood what should be happening but it didn't always work out that way.

Over time I sort of perfected them but the correlation between what you see and what the dynamics system is doing has sort of got out of sync slightly. As a result of weeks of engine setup the ground idle also moved towards the cut off, it's a very fine line between the engine working and it blowing up. The real EGT is somewhere over 1400 degrees, but by some smoke and mirrors I make it appear everything is fine. We have to remember quite a lot I did on the Lynx pushed the sim to places it didn't like going. No1 engine uses an actuated freewheel (ACC/MAIN drive switch), No2 engine a standard freewheel. FS2 doesn't have an actuated freewheel so Jan and I had to get creative . The Lynx was, and still is, very much experimental.

When you push the ECL's forward as far as they can go the engines should read 95%, as long as that is happening the underlying system is working fine. 100% engine is only attainable when you move the SSL to max. Another bit of creative TMD work I had to come up with and then we throw the Torque matching into the mix and it gets entertaining

Wait till the CH53E see's the light of day...a TMD nightmare :S

Been 33 years since I last flew the old girl, 669 Sqn, all my time on AH1 and one flight in a GT. Mk7 and Wheelie bins were after my time.

Flickering oil pressure gauges were always just the gauge, especially if it meant a run on landing miles away from base, being a tech helped explaining, "it just failed as I touched down, honest it did;)"

Comp wash, now that brings back memories, was at Wallop when they did the very first one, Lynx caught fire and then the tail fell off, much to the rapturous applause of all us Gazelle techs who were watching. Lots of jokes about not being invited to the BBQ.

I'll pretend I haven't read this 8)..its what we call a Main Drive Start, operation necessity only and can be very very deadly in a real Lynx.

You need to release the rotor brake before you start the engines...

If the controls, no not the collective and cyclic stick or your joystick, are not down(collective) and central (cyclic) the Lynx can flip. We always checked this on the AFCS display box before we did a main drive start to ensure the controls were central and down. The pilots controls in a real Lynx can all be moved without hydraulic power, they simply did nothing, there is no manual flying in a Lynx. Yes my Lynx does this too.

To prove the point. apply full trim left or right for about 20 seconds after you do the elec bit above. On the AFCS display everything looks normal in position and demand, now start your engines, the rotors will engage a low RPM with Hyd pressure on the low side, if the display is left in the position setting all looks ok but demand shows you the full trim applied. Now carry on, fully wind up the rotors, engage ASE and all 8 lanes. All ok now nothing happens. Now switch on trim. ooops we just rolled over. It is slightly different in a real Lynx as it would be rolling over as you accelerate the rotor but I couldn't achieve this in the sim so trim was the only way I could catch people out :saint:

In the ASE section above It would also help to switch on the trim else that won't work either

I never saw this post =O Steve

I just watched a youtube vid by John Gregory, I noticed that he was flying without the AFCS engaged, no lane lights were lit nor was the ASE button from what I could see.

Whilst it is possible to fly like this it's much smoother if you engage the AFCS. When you have the engines running and before rotor start, switch on the AFCS box, push ASE button should light up, push the lane buttons on the AFCS controller box (8 in total and all lit) then switch on the trim ( just above the drift gauge). Yes the drift gauge works too, tells you your forward or backward speed and side drift

Also Heading Hold and Bar Alt are not available unless you have the AFCS engaged.

Hi Ray

The 2 ECL Levers and the Speed Select Lever act as throttles but not the same as in a plank, they simply set the engines to flight power and that's where it all stays. In the Lynx the 2 ECL levers set each engine to approx 95% in the sim (100% in a real Lynx). The SSL then sets both engines to 100% (102.7% IRL) and rotor speed to 107% NR. To add to the mix the SSL knob effectively moves eng No2 governor datum to match eng No1, this means they both share the load as only one engine drives the rotor at any one time as they are effectively matched. Bit like a constant juggle between the 2...Now I hear you ask, why does the sim use 100%, good question, it doesn't seem to want to go any more. I could have fiddled the gauges to look like it does but it really starts to mess other things up and I'm sure your agree the TMD is bloody confusing at the best of times (specially with zero documentation) and I wasn't going to argue with it over 2.7%

What this means is.......... wang em all forward and forget about them.

What makes you fly is the collective, that stick to the pilots left. up and we go up, down and you get the idea.

Flight control is via a mixture of the collective, cyclic and rudder pedals (anti torque to some)

So

Collective up/down

Cyclic forwards/backwards/left/right

Rudder rotate on the spot

Of course its all a little more involved than that but that's the simple version

Steve

Hi Ray

Nope I think the wording is correct, No2 NF should not indicate. Only time this would happen is if you were doing a Main Drive start, not the recommended way but in operational times it is allowed, there is a real danger of the Lynx tipping over before you have control if the previous occupant (pilot or maintenance) has not left all the controls central. With no hydraulic power you can move the controls but there will be nothing happening at the rotor head, it's all hydraulic up there with no manual reversion.

Hi Ozav8r

As you put it..what can I say ?

Glad you enjoyed it and the donation is all the thanks I need. Perhaps some of the very talented Lukla lads can add some climbers to the scenery, make it worth while.

Steve

Yes I do have a paintkit which I have just posted

I have been trying to produce a livery using the method described in the Wiki but no matter what I do I cannot output a livery so will leave it to the professionals.

Now before you say, ah but how do you do yours, I use a very different method as I use all the original model files as if doing a full compile of the Lynx. I'm not allowed to distribute certain files from that setup so I can't help. Also my aircraft converter is setup differently from standard so I would rather not disturb that either.