Posts by KJKsimmer

I will add my kudos here too. I have been a flight simmer for 30 years. In all that time, nothing has tempted me away from the MSFS range, until now. In the last two months I have spent more time with Aerofly FS2 than I have spent on MSFS in the past year. I have thousands of dollars of addons for MSFS, I have built home cockpits with that platform, was even in the industry for a while, but now I find myself hooked on FS2. I think it brings back the purity of simple flight (instead of complex systems) to flight simulation, and it's a winner.

A movie once said "If you build it they will come". And to IPACS I say, "If you build it they will buy." I look forward to the future incarnations of this new platform, with hangers full of great-looking aircraft from the companies we already know (whom we need to encourage to get behind this platform), and countries full of scenery to the same quality we are already seeing in the DLC and the detailed areas from ORBX. Bring it on!

Now.. I just need a new computer to run this thing to it's full potential!

- Kenneth

It's a pity the final textures are not in a simple format that can be edited right away, no aircraft converters, etc. For example a .bmp, .tiff, etc format. If these were issued, editable by any program without fuss, the repaint community would be all over it. And, while we're at it, what about new aircraft? Think of the massive amount of aircraft out there created for FSX... Wouldn't it be nice if a converter existed so the original designers of those aircraft could re-compile them for FS2 without having to start from scratch? I think many FS2 enthusiasts would love to see their collection explode with new third-party machines. Imagine Carenado, Alabeo, A2A, Aeroplane Heaven (Just Flight), to name but a few.....

Am I dreaming or is such a thing on the cards in the future?

- Kenneth

According to Jeff, it was not something that could be customized yet, however, given the inquisitive and innovative nature of this group, I wondered if Mustang had found a work-around. It would be a great feature if there was a "landmarks.tsc" that could be customized to one's delight. If a person could add their own local towns and their co-ordinates to such a list it would be helpful.

- Kenneth

Hi Jeff.

Re-set to defaults in AMD, and a marginal improvement in FPS. But, I think you are right, there must be something else going on in my computer. Over Long Beach with settings at medium, no clouds, and outside view of Cessna is 16.69 FPS. That's not an AF2 problem, it's a computer issue.

Thanks for your help, you do an amazing job sir!

- Kenneth

Jeff, Yes, it could be the mind...

Anyway, a quick question for you. While I am still struggling with this old system, and typically seeing frame rates of mid teens to high 20's, can you advise any changes in these AMD settings that might help speed things up until a new computer comes my way?

- Kenneth

Hi Jeff.

For example... In the screenshot previously, to me the underlying city texture appears brighter, more washed out, and less defined. There's more pixelation when looking at the ground textures. I thought I remembered it as a lot less washed out, and much sharper looking down at the buildings in the pictures.

Could just be me... When I first saw AF2 (six weeks ago) it wowed the heck out of me, it was so different from other sims I have spent years with, Maybe now, the wow factor is wearing off and pickiness is creeping in with familiarity (LOL).

- Kenneth

I agree with HiFlyer when he says, "Textures hit rock bottom." Before the update, I had a "Wow factor" when flying in just about any area. After the update it is "ho-hum". Here's a screenshot (half size to allow upload) near Long Beach. I have the terrain textures on Ultra. Can someone who flies over this area a lot please see if this area looks different to them after the update? And, I can now confirm significant FPM drop too. Jeff, I erased that Main file, but it made no positive change.

- Kenneth

A quick question.. In the most recent update, were any changes made in the way in which ground textures are displayed? Yes, I know it is subjective (and therefore given to error), but it seems to my eyes that ground textures are more washed out in some areas than they were before, and maybe even displaying with less definition. I "think" I am "seeing this" over the likes of Los Angeles, and other areas where the underlying cityscape just seems to be less well defined than before. Of course, it could be that I've started to get used to geoconverted scenery with potentially higher definition, but I thought I'd ask just in case. Not suggesting the textures themselves were changed (the download was too small for that), but how about any algorithm dealing with brightness, contrast, etc?

Loving this sim by the way.

Thanks.

- Kenneth

Hi Admin.

I am not suggesting that IPACS revert to a previous version, rather, that there be some system whereby a user can revert back to an earlier version. This might be worth arranging with Steam.

And yes, this is a seven year old computer. It is so old I cannot even update the drivers on the graphics card as they don't support it any longer! I have been glad to even see AF2 working at all. but it is pushing its luck.

- Kenneth

Just want to add to the post by KenR297. My first thought with the update was the same. I cannot compare FPS, but flying the Cessna over Los Angeles, view in outside mode, I did notice a slight jerkiness where there was smoothness before. I do run an old system that barely allows me 26 FPS at best, on medium settings, so any change in the use of resources will likely be noticed. No, this is not a complaint (a new system soon), but I thought I would mention it because of the other Ken's post.

This does bring up a point though. As the platform advances in various ways, if an update pushes the limit of a person's computer, can they go back to the previous version they were happy with, or are they stuck with whatever update steam sends their way?

- Kenneth