Posts by Oubaas

These are the kind of things that need to be noted, reported, and addressed. It's early on in the life of this sim, and that makes all of us more or less test pilots. If we let the developers know when something isn't quite right, they can tweak it and we get a better sim for our efforts. Maximum realism should always be the goal. :)

Maybe I shouldn't do that anymore and just program what feels easier?

No, do not, "program what feels easier". Go for what is as realistic as possible. If the P-38 had huge flap-nose-down issues, that's what it should have in the sim. If what's easier becomes the standard, AFS 2 will go from being a simulator to being an airplane game.

If we ever get a Tiger Moth for this simulator, I want a heaping helping of adverse yaw!

The way you chose is the right way. Keep up the good work, and don't cave in to whining about anything being too hard. This is a simulator. And its sim pilots must learn the individual aircraft's quirks and how to fly them successfully, or drill a smoking hole in the virtual ground.

I've got an Oculus Rift CV1 right now that I haven't had too long, so I'll use that for awhile. I'm holding out to upgrade for VR contact lenses.

Although I have to admit, I will miss flight simming with a brick strapped to my head. Just like I miss those giant cellular phones and 8-track tape players. Those were the good old days. 8o

Right now, aside from FSX/P3D and X-Plane, which are sort of lacking from the accounts that I've read, there are not many options for virtual soaring.

There are two dedicated soaring sims, Silent Wings and Condor, if you can live with the prehistoric graphics. But I'm not really into Jurassic graphics.

I have seen favorable mention of the original Aerofly, and it seems to me like this may be a great area for Aerofly FS 2 development to target. From the looks of things with Condor's continuing popularity, even in spite of the dated graphics, some well-modeled soaring in Aerofly FS 2 might bring in quite a few new virtual pilots.

Have you ever heard of Harris Hill NY? They bill it as the soaring capital of the US. Not sure if that is true now, but it used to be. I flew gliders up there for a while, might get back into it at some point. Anyway, I did about the same thing yesterday. I started out at 3700 over Harris Hill, which is equivalent to a 2000' tow. Had thermals set on high, and was able to center a couple of them pretty well. Topped out at 5200'. Flew over Elmira, and out to Watkins Glen. Decided to put down at the football field of Watkins High School. Touched down just after the track, and stopped it well short of the other edge of the track. Probably 75 yards, well within the football field. Kind of impressed with myself. LOL

We need that tow though, it would make it so much better.

Andrew

Yes, indeed! I was born in Elmira and have flown out of Harris Hill. I've spent a lot of time around Watkins Glen, especially up at the race track, but around town as well. I'm very familiar with the whole area, Chemung, Steuben, Schuyler, Tompkins, and Yates counties, and Keuka, Seneca, and Cayuga lakes.

I took a glider up for the first time yesterday. I blame MrRCSound. It was reading his posts that got me thinking about it. It had been a very long time since I had thought about gliders. My Dad died in 2010. He was a soaring fanatic.

The first time Dad dragged me along to fly in a glider in real life, I was home on leave from the military. My first thought about the flight was, "I'd feel a lot better about this if I could hear an engine running." Dad loved aviation, but once he got into gliders, that was it. All he wanted was gliders after that.

Anyway, yesterday in Aerofly FS 2 I managed to stay up there for about 45 minutes before I headed for an airport about 10 or 12 miles away and landed. I was able to find thermals and stay with them, more or less, and it was fun. I spent quite awhile off the approach end at the airport where I landed, bleeding speed until it wanted to stop flying enough to bring it back down to the ground.

So, since I'm getting into this sort of thing, yeah, a tow plane would be very nice. I'm kind of liking the soaring. I may have to try some soaring in Switzerland today.

The CH Throttle Quadrant adds 6 levers for prop, throttle, and mixture for those twin engine aircraft, plus 12 assignable buttons, and the CH rudder pedals add not only the rudder pedals, but toe brakes as well. And they'll work with your yoke with no problems. You can even program them all as a single unit with the CH software. After that, you need an Oculus Rift or an HTC Vive. Or at minimum, TrackIR 5 if VR makes you queasy. But VR is best.

What specific aircraft would you like to see added to Aerofly FS 2 in the future?

As for me...

Aviat A-1B Husky

Beechcraft V35B-TC

Bell 47

Cessna C208B Caravan

Curtiss P-40E Warhawk

de Havilland Dh.82a Tiger Moth

de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver

de Havilland DHC-3 Otter

de Havilland DHC-6 Twin Otter

Douglas DC3

Eurocopter EC120B

Macchi MC.202

North American P-51D Mustang

Piper 140

Stearman PT-17 Kaydet

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX LF

So, what's yours?

It's the same on the east coast. Stewart in New York has trees blocking the travel lanes on I-84. Things seem to have a purplish cast in that area as well. I wish they'd finish New York state out to Buffalo.

1. Excellent VR performance with my Oculus Rift CV1.

2. Very good graphics.

3. Excellent aircraft models with good flight dynamics.

The Future

1. Animated water with seaplane support.

2. Expanded developer support including a full suite of PSD templates and perhaps some AC3D-based aircraft creation tutorials.

3. Dynamic registration numbers.

4. Rotary aviation.

To start the sim in VR, you right-click on the title in your Steam games list and select "Launch" in the appropriate VR mode for your headset.

You could probably also modify your desktop icon with a command parameter so it would launch in your VR mode when you double click the desktop icon, but I haven't looked into that yet.

BTW, I don't know what you tweaked on the HUDs, but they are looking crisp, clear and positioned correctly through my Oculus Rift CV1. And my last unit before retiring was a VFA squadron out of Lemoore, so I'm picky about stuff like that, especially on the Hornet. Nice work! These are probably the clearest, best looking HUDs I've seen in a sim. That seems to be an area where many developers struggle, but you've done them well. Now if you can get the MFDs and weapons systems working and give us guns, missiles, and multiplayer, I can get to work, LOL! 8o

I just tested it on my machine. It's an i7 7700K with 16GB of Intel Optane memory and a Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 card and an Oculus Rift CV1.

Flying the F4U Corsair over the heavily congested part of San Diego, California, with graphics set to "Ultra" and VR at 2.0, I have no stuttering, even in a fast, prolonged sweeping turn, which used to be when I'd get a bit of stuttering.

This is good work. Whatever you fixed with the external DLL was definitely causing a little stuttering.

Everything is as smooth as olive oil on polished marble now. Nice job, team!

Having dug into this a little deeper, I suspect that the reason that I can't remove the German flag on the vertical stabilizer is because it isn't coming from the two PSD templates that have been provided for the Pitts. Also, regardless of what color I paint the fuselage, I'm stuck with red panels in the cockpit because the two PSD files provided for repaints do not constitute a complete paint kit for the aircraft. Repaints are fundamental to building a community around a sim.

If you're trying to build the sort of community around this sim that exists for other user-modifiable flight sims (and take a look at past flight sims that were not user-modifiable and where they are now), then COMPLETE paint kits for each aircraft should be a development priority.

As Kenneth (KJKsimmer) noted above, it would be nice if the aircraft textures were in a simple, readily accessible format. You should at least release a tool to allow the user to open the texture files and edit them, then save to the format used in the game.