Posts by lenidcamper

    Is anyone using network position events in the latest release (production or beta. I have tried both)?

    Last year I wrote an app that captured position events and wrote them out to a KML file for display in Google Earth. It was working back in June.

    When I try the same app now with the latest release it detects no events.

    The Wireshark Network Analyzer detects no activity on port 49002

    I am using the the same config (I think :/) in main.mcf that I used last year







    Local network is 192.168.0.XXX



    sorry I did not scroll down in the include.

    Based on the log, the string compare (without leading zero) should have exported 2 different models.

    But it is actually exporting <[string8][geometry][..\objects\Piers\Pier_Wood_1_6\pier_wood_1_6]> ???

    I don't see where that could possibly come from based on the included config.

    "1_6" does not appear anywhere in the config!!!

    As I mentioned in the postscript to a previous post, the expression engine did not internally resolve data types of

    variables and all variables defaulted to string. So it was doing a string compare for all numeric variables in expressions.

    I am testing a fix that loads int or float variables as required.

    In the pier example what is the expression in the model map?

    Hi Thomas

    A number of issues here

    At first I thought

    "Of course, you are not using the operator alias #GE# for >="

    The expression engine provides the alias/escape strings for operators to avoid special characters in XML. However >= will actually evaluate correctly.

    "<=" will give a syntax error. for consistency it is probably better to always use the alias strings

    The (...) construct is intended to define precedence in the expression. The ($pier:width) defeats my variable preload algorithm.

    I am parsing the expression into tokens on spaces to pick out variable names to preload before tag data is loaded. This avoids a "variable not defined" exception from the expression engine and allows the sparse tag negation functionality added in 0.7.1

    Use $pier:width #GE# '10' or ($pier:width #GE# '10')

    That lead me to the core problem. It appears there is a bug in the XSharper engine with comparison of left justified numeric values.

    ($height #LE# '90') will evaluate true for height tag value '100'


    ($height #LE# ' 90') will evaluate to false

    I need to look under the hood of the XSharper engine to see if there is any way to fix this or find a workaround.



    what tag data are you comparing?

    zero padding will work.

    '090' will evaluate correctly compared with '100'

    where '90' will not.

    If you have added these tags using leading zero pad


    turns out XSharper variables were defaulting to string type.

    need to detect tag datatype and force a cast to int or float as the variable is set.

    I have a request for parking density:


    I have looked at the parking density issue. Adding a computed parameter is possible but is a can of worms I would rather not open right now.

    Particularly since there is a work around for this issue.

    All it requires is separate configurations for the few (3? 5??) different parking densities.

    Each configuration would have a selectionCondition expression with the appropriate parking_density value and randomInteger upperLimit.

    Using sharedModelMaps there will only be a dozen lines for each configuration.

    If there is a scenario that cannot be solved without numeric tag operations I can look at the issue again.


    could it already work?

    There is currently no way to specify arithmetic operations on tags. The XSharper expression engine has that capability. I only exposed what was needed for boolean selection expressions.

    I need to think about a generic way to expose this.

    Under Windows \ or / might both work

    I had not placed any attention towards platform independence. I can update examples and documentation to forward slash and lower case.

    It is possible with the current release of ObectGen to place a building object at the "midpoint" of a building footprint.

    As with the scenProc FLENGTH the wayLength derived tag could be used to distinguish residential vs commercial.

    The random tag could be used to mix model types.

    Currently the objects would have random orientation.

    It is difficult to derive a meaningful orientation for an arbitrary polygon. If the way has 5 nodes it is a square or rectangle and an axis of orientation could be derived. But few houses are simple rectangles (particularly in NA housing developments).