Posts by emfrat

I can't remember what Sylvain said to do ( in the original version) to change the panels, but I do know I set the White panel as standard for all the choices, because it looked like too much hassle to change it "manually" every time.

Not sure what to fiddle with next - might be best to just copy/edit a tmd for each combination, but if option.tmc is as good as they say, it should be possible to write one that covers all bases.

Anyway I deserve a beer after all that, so I will look further tomorrow :saint:

You're too kind, Ray...Jan's diagnosis was spot on ('it must be something before PrimerLever') The primer inputs are in the very next section.

There was also a clue in the warnings, saying property ' ' - i.e a blank space - was not found, but it is not easy to use a blank space as a search string :D

And just to make life easy, there are lots of perfectly legal [ ] in the 7500-odd lines of code

Jan, I am working through that process now.

tmmodelmanager: Error = object X not found ( in this case, X = 'AirspeedIndicator'

Is there a warning? Yes, property 'Object X name' is not a member of type 'modelmanager'

BUT it does appear in the c152sd.tmd file at line 8...why?...etc.

The aircraft is Sylvain delePierre's Cessna 152 which is still listed at flight-sim.org. The original version worked but was very over-powered. I have been investigating the later version, which makes AFS2 fall over.

I will see what I can find in the wiki, but it seems to be very out-of-date.

I appreciate your help, but I am not sure that you as an IPACS team member should be spending time on this. That is why I would like to solve it myself.

Thanks, Mike

This is starting to look like a logic error, rather than a syntax one. I haven't found any missing, unpaired, or duplicated symbols. I used Search, Find + Count to check my visual check, with these results:

Find [ Count 17536

Find ] Count 17536

Find < Count 5845

Find > Count 5845

I also checked { and } because that is a common typo error and hard to see, but both returned a count of 0.
    Trouble is, I don't know which programming language this is, so I have to change one thing at a time and check the effect of that, and so on. I did manage to create some new errors in the log - this time, copilot.tmc failed to load and I got the Big Red Block.

Jan, could you point me to a Developer's Handbook, or even a "Teach yourself..." type of book, for this language. I used to get paid for learning stuff like that but that was quite a few years ago... :(

ATB, MikeW

Thankyou for your quick response, Jan :thumbup:

I reinstalled the C152 from the backup I made before installing the last non-Steam update.

Searched the tmd file, full length, forward and back, for ]], [[, '', ' ', and ' '. All returned "text not found".

Looked all through it for unpaired > but I didn't see any. Maybe I should eat more carrots, to improve my eyesight?

The only lines that looked odd were those near the top of the file, related to Event DEV0. So I commented out ( // ) all three. Tried to load the plane and this time got a big red block with STOP on it. Never seen that before - I thought it was a Mac OS trick, not Win10.

Installed the most recent file from flight-sim.org, but it still shuts down AFS2, as before.

I have to be in Brisbane all day tomorrow but I will look again when I get home.

ATB

MikeW

I have the same problem. My tm.log suggests the panel is not being found. I remember in the original download, we had to add our choice of panel (black background or white) to the external models. I don't remember how this was done, but it did work.

In that one, each panel folder and each livery has its own .tmr file, so after deactivating those I tried to write an option.tmc to cover each combination, but without success. ;(

C152tmlog.txt

It's so sad that forum members who demand things to be added to AFS2, and complain that they do not appear overnight, then criticise and generally attack the IPACS team, do not seem to understand what is needed to meet their demands

AI Traffic in a flight sim is not just moving scenery like cars on a road or active airport service vehicles.

Ai traffic needs to be supported by active, automated ATC. That needs to interact with live real weather information - two major projects to be completed before AI traffic is possible, and then the whole thing has to be integrated into the sim so that we can interact with it - two more major projects.

I am confident that IPACS can provide this. I know they do not have a huge team of coders fed by a multi-million dollar budget, so I will have to wait a while. That's fine by me.

Michael, this has long been greatly needed. I let the members at NZFF know that you had released it. I created some locations around my Auckland, following Kristoff's method. Please feel free to adapt them to your scenery. You should still have access, but if you don't, let me know. and I will send you a fresh link. Sad to say, someone - not you - seems to have passed on the earlier link, without permission.

Thanks and best wishes

MikeW

Airports are not flat, and runways are not level from end to end. They are not visible from 100km, either.

For years we begged flightsim makers to give us realistic naturally sloping runways. AFS2 does that. Why make it all artificially flat again?

I wish we had access to the sort of satellite imagery that can read the number plate on your car, but that is only available to the military, so we will have to live with the very low-res appearance of the surface when the plane is on the ground.

MikeW

No worries - I think I learned that from IZ0JUB. I also built on an idea from Krystoff, to create location markers for airstrips which can be seen in photoscenery but are not in the AFS2 database, so that I can start from there, and also see them in the moving map etc. You just use a bare-bones tsc file.

It will be a while before we get 3-D models of individual homes, so cultivation has to be more impressionist than factual - but it makes a huge difference at night. Same with 'landing on the photo' - if you like to surf the wake 50m behind the plane, ground operations can look ugly, but from the cockpit the view is quite restricted and the far end of the runway does not look too bad at all.

FCloudport airports generally do not use more than one runway object because runway objects which cross, or even parallel ones which are too near each other, will cause display problems, usually flashing textures.

You can get around this by disabling the line in the .tsc file which calls the object. You do this by adding // at the start of that line. Naturally this will only work if you have photoscenery covering that location. You can land 'on the photo' - it may not look pretty when you are on the ground. but it looks much more realistic from the air. You can create a hi-res photo background for an airport, but that will make the airport area flat.

There are plenty tutorials here: https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/doku.php/sdk:scenery

just a few pics to let folk see the sort of things we have to fix. My old source has some faults, especially in coastal waters. ArcGIS is much better on coastlines, but it is not perfect either.

https://i.postimg.cc/nzZYhFKc/aerof…0630-122855.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/mgvyKNt9/aerof…0628-153221.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/VNXWwrCV/aerof…0630-123257.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/5035Hhp5/aerof…0629-153125.jpg

Creating scenery is not a simple matter of going to the Play Store and downloading some app which will do it all for you.

MikeW

Michael, thanks for your interest. Using crispy136's Guide, after experimenting I standardised on the following:

Base - tile size 9, zoom 16 AFS levels 9, 11, and 12

Top - tile size 9, zoom 17, AFS level 13

Urban - If necessary, I use 13 -18 - 14 for general developed areas, and 14 -19 -15 for airfields.

I like to land 'on the photo', so I use Cloudport airfields with the runway object disabled. Otherwise I use the NZ AIP charts to place a location marker and parking spot(s) so that I can select those fields as starting points.

I left an ArcGIS-based Auckland area scenery cooking overnight. If you like, I will privately send you links to both versions. At the moment none of my work is available for general distribution. Sad to say, there are too many uninformed critics in the forum. ;)

ATB, MikeW

I have been working on scenery for NZ, and it looks well draped on GeoffKiwi's mesh. I also have perokee's work which covers the southern part of the South Island. What I have done is WIP, not fit for general release. The biggest problem is that my preferred source of orthophotos creates a zig-zag of tile edges at coastlines, with no colour blending at all for the water. I found more or less by accident that ArcGisS orthophotos do not seem to have that problem, although they do create huge areas of little grey tiles with "No data available" written on them. That is easier to fix, but still very time-consuming, and better than hand-painting thousands of tiles in GIMP to make a good blend. So I am now redoing my stuff using ArcGiS ortho for the coastal areas. That means all the coast of SI from Cape Campbell round to Hokitika, by way of Cape Farewell.

The same applies to the area around Wellington and up to Kapiti Island, and another area around Auckland. It all takes time and a great deal of patience. I did some cultivation for the Auckland area, but the OSM data is pretty sparse and Auckland City needs some 3Dmodels of distinctive structures. It is not something which can be done overnight :(

MikeW

PS - Why are so many scenery devs called Michael? :D