Posts by mcgregni

Is ‘download the game from some third party channel’ a euphemism for piracy? Only asking!

Not necessarily ... They may be perfectly willing to pay for the app but are unable to access it because the device cannot be registered within the Google Play Services framework.

I wanted to upgrade my Huawei device to a more powerful one for my flight simming, but was forced away from the brand because the apps I wanted were not offered via the Huawei framework.

The gauge style cockpit on the 737 is a visual feast! It certainly adds to the variety in the sim, plus it shows us just how design of flight displays has advanced over time. Theres no doubting that modern electronic displays that combine all the key flight parameters have a greater efficiency of focus for the pilots scan.

I have also experienced disconnection of NAV mode (or LNAV) in the Q400, A320 and B787. Like Frank references above, this occurs at points of very tight turns within SIDS and STARS. I suspect that some of these extreme twists and turns may be an unrealistic representation of real life procedures.....(eg the common "Procedure Turn" to reverse a course over an IAF, where the actual flight path is wider than the flight plan diagram).

I've got used to recognising the little aural warning chimes now when this happens! Then I switch to manual heading mode (or HDG SEL in the Q400) and dial in a course to fly around in a wider circle and come back to a gentle intercept of the flightplan route, then re-engage NAV again.

Sonetimes unfortunately the route waypoints get out of sequence and a flightplan has to be abandoned and a new plan or direct entry to a final approch made manually. This is when a solo pilot is severly tested!

I would love to know how to change the active waypoint in a flightplan, to correct for this issue ....? So far I have not been able to work out how to make a particular waypoint the active one ....

Hi, I need some help with the descent and landing phases using the B787 autopilot please.

I read the tutorials and flew from Salt Lake City to San Francisco. I set a manual cruise alt (FL340) and Mach .82. All was ok during the climb and cruise.

Just before the T/D point I set a lower speed of 280kts, and a lower altitude of 200Ft. The PFD showed "Hold" for speed and "VNAV SPD" for the vertical mode. The descent began as expected, however my altitude remained constantly above the Vertical Path indicator.

When I activated Approach mode the Glideslope indicator remained below my descent altitude. At the airport I was 3000ft too high.

Any ideas what went wrong here?

I understand that the descent should start automatically when the VNAV path is intercepted, and it seemed to. But it didn't indicate VNAV Path, it was VNAV SPD ....I don't really understand what that is ....

Finally, how do I change the cruise altitude in the flight plan, to get an accurate T/D position, like you can with the A320 INIT page? I couldn't find anywhere in the B787 FMS where this could be set.

(Edit, I found the cruise alt setting on the VNAV page, perhaps that will help with the descent ....). I'm going to try the same flight again with the same flightplan and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for any tips and info!

Further update! I completed the flight successfully ...starting the descent at the correct point obviously helped. This time the descent was below the VNAV path just before Localiser intercept, so I clicked Alt Hold and levelled off until the vertical path was centred, then clicked Approach mode and it went well from there.

Its amazing to be able to learn about the differences between the Airbus and Boeing systems, thanks Aerofly!

Airspeed is controlled by pitch attitude, so maybe you should be pulling back on the yoke earlier in the descent to slow down. Initially, at 120kts or so, this will cause a little zoom upwards, but just hold the pitch back with steady pressure until the speed drops down to what you want. Then relax the yoke forwards a little to maintain that speed (eg 100kts). If the flap setting is correct for that speed, and with low power, you should then enter a steady descent at that good speed.

It may be that you're not doing this process early enough.

I just want to say a big thanks and congratulate the author/s of the various autopilot tutorials 😊.

They are well written, informative and practical and give confidence to learn to operate our simulator like the real thing!

So far as a new user I am impressed with the support given with guides and manuals, which is an important aspect here with a simulation that aims to replicate so much of real procedures and systems.

Thanks!

I look at the Navigation page and zoom in over the airport to see my taxi route, then I stay in the cockpit for taxiing. If I get lost I stop and check the map view again!

Just to update here, I'm pleased to say I've had a couple of successful flights using the full autopilot features of the A320. I managed to adjust altitude and airspeed manually also some heading adjustments off flight plan as well.

What an amazing simulation! Congratulations to the developers, its an amazing job and you've created an incredibly immersive airliner simulation.

Hi, a quick question...

I'm using the Android mobile version of Aerofly FS 2022, and I thought the other AI aircraft were meant to move around, takeoff and land etc?

I have never seen any of the aircraft move, they just stay static at the gates and on the ramps.

I have all 'traffic' settings at high....

Should I be seeing movements?

Thanks for any advice on this ...

mcgregni

The basics in 3 parts:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

If you tap on a knob that can also be pushed and pulled you can see a green circle with green disk in the center. Pull the center down to pull the knob towards you. If you slide the center up you can push it in.

Ah, ok thanks that's something to check out. I do remember reading about that way of controlling the knobs but it certainly wasn't intuitive....I'll try again!

Ok thanks! So the problem I've got now is how to push and pull the knobs on the touchscreen? Obviously I can click on them or click and hold ...but how do we distinquish between push and pull?

Just to understand.... If an altitude is set on the AP panel it is 'armed', and then the knob needs pushing or pulling to activate the change ?

I certainly did click a lot on the knob after setting the new altitude but nothing happened. 😟 I saw two green rings around the Alt knob. The inner one changes the setting but the outer one didn't seem to do anything.

Hi, having got to grips mostly with the Q400 autopilot, I have been trying the A320.

I've read the wiki and noticed it is based on controlling the PC version with mouse clicks, not the mobile version I'm using.

I was able to activate AutoThrust, set the levers to Climb and I got speed control with the autopilot ....all good.

But I was unable to get any control with Alt and VS. I had a flight plan, and was initially able to level off at 12000 ft using Alt. However then I tried to climb by dialing in 21000ft, and this was indicated on the PFD, but there was no climbing action. I tried many clicks on the alt knob, holding it, everything I could but it wouldn't leave 12000ft.

I also tried a positive VS and clicking that knob as well, but nothing happened. What could I have missed here?

Thanks for any pointers!

Yes, you can only have one vertical mode active and one lateral mode active at one time. Armed modes require certain conditions before they become the active mode. For example the altitude capture at selected altitude (ALT SEL) only engages when the aircraft is close to the target altitude selected by the pilot.

Ok I see, its one at a time from each side, thanks. I suppose while using VNAV plus Alt Hold then speed has to be managed with small power adjustments.