Airbus suddenly changes direction

• Something very odd happened just now. I flew from Innbsruck to Geneva in the Airbus on AP (managed mode) and suddenly, out of the blue, the plane turned right 90 degrees and kept on flying into that direction, completely leaving the flightplan path... and there was nothing I could do about it!

Well, yes, of course I switched to HDG mode but as soon as the plane was on the flightplan path again and I enabled managed mode the plane turned right again.

What's happening here...?! Never had this before!

EDIT

Ok, interesting... I used the Location map to put the plane back on track again and this time the plane stayed on the path with AP in managed mode.

And I also can reproduce this oddity! The turn to the right happens when I go to the Navigation map and click on the destination airport (to check what the altitude is). After getting back into the Airbus it starts to turn right! Somehow clicking on the Navigation map triggers something... at least above Switzerland and Geneva. This didn't happen in the US where I also had a look at the navigation map to check the altitude of my destination.

Luckily using the Location map restores this... Odd.

EDIT 2

Did another test: simply disabling the AP and enabling it again also stops the plane from making the turn and keeps it on track.

BTW Flying into Geneva wasn't a succes either because it turns out that on approach you are flying low over France... which looks totally crap of course. Pity the photoreal wasn't extended a bit over the border.

Edited 3 times, last by J van E (November 12, 2017 at 3:42 PM).

• Can you send me the main.mcf file with that exact flight plan in it. I'll try to reproduce it when you tell me if there is a specific time I need to go back to the navigation menu. Did you go back via main menu or via short cut in the flight info bar?

I already landed in the meantime but I placed the Airbus up in the air again around the spot where things went wrong and set the plane up the way it should be. I then pressed ESC to go to the Main menu and then to the Navigation map. I clicked on the lower left of the Geneva airport, which selects the airport (so I could see the altitude on the right), and then I clicked again somewhere south of the flightplan just to 'deselect' Geneva. I then pressed ESC again to get back to the Main menu and then ENTER to Start so I'd get back in the Airbus again. As soon as I did that the plane started to turn right again! And this time I immediately exited the game so if I am not mistaken the position of the plane etc. should be saved in the Main.mcf, right? So if you load this Main.mcf you should start with the Airbus in the air at FL240 just beginning the turn right with the AP on and everything in managed mode.

I zipped the Main.mcf because an .mcf isn't allowed to be uploaded.

• Sadly, I've not been able to reproduce this yet. I'm at the right position with your flight plan, a320, wind, etc. but it doesn't turn for me. The location you exited out seems to be right around the top of decent, that shouldn't cause a change in the lateral mode though.

Do you see any mode change or does it stay in NAV mode? (just making sure no localizer is armed and captured right at that point)

• Old post, I know, but today I had the exact problem with the Q400: when I am flying on AP and NAV and go the the Navigation map and then click on the destination (to see the altitude) and then go back to the sim, the plane turns left. It simply leaves the path. I have to switch to HDG mode and it wasn't until I reached the next waypoint that NAV finally worked again. So it's not an Airbus problem: apparently something odds happens when you switch to the Navigation map and click on the destination.

• HAH, I've managed to reproduce it on my end.

You're not clicking on the map but in the list in the lower part of the navigation menu, aren't you?

Because when I do that it at least does something that its not supposed to do. It just kicked me out of NAV into heading mode but that means the route was not available for a little while. But I could push the heading knob back in in the A320 to get NAV back.

• Nice you managed to reproduce at least something! ;) But I did click on the map though. Didn't know you could click on the lower part of the menu... But yes, it seems as if the route isn't available and in my case the plane simply turns left in NAV mode. The solution is simple, obviously: do not use or click on the navigation map during a flight LOL but well, something seems wrong somewhere. ;) And somehow I always forget to check the altitude of my destination which I need to know to set the correct descent altitude in the Q400.