3DSMax runway+taxiways and apron mesh creation

• Ah ! That's probably the point: "use the blend" is probably the step I was missing. Also, in order to prevent voids I had set a slight taxiway overlap on the runway, this is then something I should avoid...

Thank you for your help, I'll try this out and let you know.

Cheers

Antoine

Antoine,

Yes, overlapping can cause the quanify section to include the runway by accident.

If you get it really close you won't be able to tell the difference. Also, since most of the time the runway cement is different than the taxiways it will all end up looking good.

Once you get the hang of this I promise it's much easier than you think.

let me know how you make out.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Thank you Jeff, that was it, removing the slight overlap fixed it.

But then I selected the runway, added EDIT SPLINE modifier and attached the outer boundary spline as well as taxiways and apron spline before to quadify mesh.

Is it the proper method or should I only attach runway and outer boundary?

I ask this because doing this the runway and taxiways and apron are now a hole in the mesh, I can fill up with EDIT POLY, CAP function, but:

1) the quadify mesh function cannot create a very consistent mesh whatever the % setting.

2) runway, taxiways and apron are now 1 single entity.

3) the chamfer tool creates a mess of black holes in my mesh.

If my previous steps are correct, I assume it's now time to manually cut further the mesh as per Steve's method before to add the chamfer.

I'm not sure then what he meant with anti-clockwise direction since cuts are according to a line...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

Edited once, last by Trespassers (December 29, 2017 at 1:40 PM).

• Yes you should attach both the runway and apron at this time.

When you quadify the polys don't have to be consistent, they just have to not create lines overlapping one another as this will cause 'cuts' in your scenery. Though fixing these cuts after you find them can be fixed afterwards by moving vertex points, the process is rather a pain so you are better off doing it correct the first time.

When making your groundpoly try not to make it too complex as this will cause problems when you quadify.

The least amount of vertex in your lines the better off you will be.

It takes a couple of tries to make the groundpoly but once you do it successfully you will realize how easy it actually is.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• thank you so much Jeff, those are exactly the directions I needed.

Now I can go ahead and try fixing my mesh.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.