Posts by Trespassers

Well, no need for the checkbox, you can have 2 versions of the C172 in the library, just like we did for Jan's mod...

Adding the GNS to the DR400 is a good idea (even if it's a rather high standard compared to other instruments of that version). The fact is, it is not as easy as in FS where you just assign and place gauges in a panel.cfg file.

For AFS2, you have to design the 3D model of the GNS frame with screen, knobs and buttons, integrate them to the panel of the 3D model then trial and error to rename all parts in order to match the objects and definitions used for the Arrow.

Eventually, pick the code from the Arrow TMD file and trial and error to adapt it to the DR400.

Without technical information and dedicated tools you're just working blind...

Cheers

Antoine

Was the Garmin 530 in FSX? I could never get it to do what I wanted.

Oh yes ! first there was a "basic" GNS very much resembling the 530, but with only partial menus. It was internal to FS (no dll), with automatic data import from navigation planner, thus much more user-friendly than the real thing.

Then came the RealityXP GNS430 and 530 series, that were using in background the corresponding official GNS simulator from Garmin, thus with exact true-to-life menus and functions, but outdated database.

Database could however easily get updated with official Garmin airacs, but unless the owner is very much relying on it, airacs are seldom up-to-date in real life aircraft because it's high maintenance...

As far as I can remember, it used to work for FS9 and FSX, but the dll link however got broken when leaving FSX for P3D, or even the Steam edition of FSX, and Reality XP was totally unresponsive to support.

Eventually came JustFlight with several nice GNS gauges, not only the 430/530, I think most people are using them. I stopped howver practicing the GNS 430 and therefore didn't care purchasing the gauge...

Cheers

Antoine

That is a very popular GPS device used for navigation in all sorts of general aviation aircraft.

Well, yes, rather high-end general aviation aircraft, then, because it used to be pretty expensive.

It's more than a GPS, it's a GNS => Global Navigation System.

Nowadays they're quite outdated, there are far superior devices on the market, but in real-life aviation you fly aircraft as they are, not as you wish they were, and it's not uncommon to rent an air-travel-dedicated aircraft that is still equipped with GNS430 or 530.

The real interesting perspective in having such a device in our sim is practicing, because "intuitive" and "erogonomic" are probably the worst-suited qualifiers for those Garmin devices.

One of the aircraft in my club has a GNS430 (similar to 530, but smaller screen). I practiced a lot in the sim some 10 years ago to get familiar with all the deep maze of menus, the counter-intuitive knobs usage (darn ! I clicked instead of turning, or turned the wrong ring, and now I lost it all...)

I flew a couple of years using the GNS - especially when it was not needed, to practice - but my iPad with navigation application quickly became far superior and more convenient than the GNS, and I progressively stopped using more than the COM part of the GNS.

After a few years I tried in-flight using again that GNS just to see if I still could, but got lost in menus and continuously miss-used the counter-intuitive knobs, pressing when I was supposed to turn, or turning the wrong ring of the knob... I quickly stopped it to keep concentrating on my flight.

A simulator is the right place to practice, provided that the model is accurate. The great thing with the RealityXP gauge is it was using the official trainer from Garmin, thus exact model. The bad thing is it was an external gauge.

Let's see how IPACS's one is modelled...

PS: for that reason, connecting my navigation app on iPad to the sim is an absolute must-have to me, to safely test and explore menus or new features/releases, or find out the best way of using functions in-flight, and then be fluent when flying for real...

Cheers

Antoine

I should say "not possible without a major rewrite" - everything in FSCP is pregenerated. It doesn't model airports dynamically. It is designed around best fit match of a pregenerated runway and then just place it where needed.

My mistake, I assumed your tool dynamically generated the meshed runway... it's not the case, sorry.

Actually, you can pregenerate transparent flatten polygons, they're easier to fit than textured runways, but yes it would mean a significant rewrite of your nice tool.

Cheers

Antoine

How?

I was answering to Phil, he could have FSCloudport doing this.

You can do it manually following the wiki tuto, but only creating the airport ground polygon without runway. This results in a transparent flattening. I use it for grass runways, keeping the photo textures.

Cheers

Antoine

AFS2 is a bit nasty with alpha channels, because when there is 1 in the texture any surface becomes randomly transparent.

In some cases (alpha channels used for glossy effects), getting rid of the alpha channel is enough.

In most cases (canopy, pylon or crane open structures, statues, trees, etc.) the transparency is however needed.

The only workaround I found so far was making 2 versions of the texture :

- the original with alpha channel (32 bit) renamed texutrename_alpha_color.bmp

- a 24 bit copy without alpha channel, renamed texutrename_color.bmp

Then I need to manually edit the 3D object (I use 3DSmax, but there are other, more affordable tools) to only apply the texture with alpha channel to surfaces needing it, and the texture without to all other surfaces.

For that purpose, from MCX I convert the original 3D object to Wavefront format (.obj) for importing into 3DSmax.

I use the same format to export back to MCX after realllocating the textures, and then in MCX I convert again into collada (.dae) for my standard workflow.

Hope that bug with alpha channels could be fixed in AFS2, this is the only part of conversion I couldn't get automated in batch process.

Any other trick/ hint is welcome.

Cheers

Antoine

In AFS2 you have to give a _color suffix to your diffuse textures, and then a _light suffix for night textures (instead of _lm).

Use _bump (or _normal, never tried it but might be accepted) suffix for bump maps, _specular for specular...

This can be done easily with MCX.

Cheers

Antoine

I think I'm going mad. I was sure that I recently looked inside a TGI file and was pleased to see it was in non binary text. Looking at the TGI you sent though Kai the TGI is binary and now when I look at all the TGIs I have lying around that I generated they are all binary too??

Hi Spit40,

TGIs generated by MCX are text format, which is convenient.

TGIs generated by 3DSMax are binary...

I don't know where Arno got the text TGI format specification from - probably directly from IPACS

Cheers

Antoine

Hi all,

Thank you so much for that lovely Cub!

There's an issue only a Cub pilot knows : for balance reasons, you always fly the Cub from the rear seat, never from the front seat *

The front seat is the passenger or instructor seat, and you teach your pax (or ask your instructor) to move sideways during landing phase so that you can see the runway and read your airspeed over his/her shoulder.

Unfortunately, the guy in the front seat of this lovely Cub won't budge and even with my TrackIR I cannot get a glimpse at the airspeed indicator over his square shoulders...

Hope someone can fix it and move him to the pilot seat.

Congratulations for the great work, I love this aircraft.

Cheers

Antoine

*except for very lightweight pilot having a much heavier pax, then they may swap positions and fly from the front seat, but that's not the standard case.

As long as there is sufficient appetite for our offerings, all of our in-house titles are lined up for conversion to AeroflyFS, similar to how we do for X-Plane these days. Our back catalogue contains a number of other high quality GA aircraft that we're looking forward to getting started on soon, as well as some other stuff I personally can't wait to see in AF2 - Red Arrows Hawk T1A or a Tornado GR1&F3 anyone?

Hi Rich,

Thank you so much for posting such (great) news here! I really hope you are successful in converting the Duchess and that our appetite will prove you it's worth it!

My favourite JustFlight aircraft is the beloved Chipmunk, but I'll love seeing any GA aircraft flying in AFS2.

Wish you all the best!

Cheers

Antoine

Hi all,

Below is a statementI had once from Torsten regarding the size parameter, it doesn't quite fit with Jeff's explanation, thus I don't know what might have changed in the meantime.

Regarding lenidcamper's issue, it seems to me quite typical when objects height is computed before the highest mesh level is loaded.

The exact moment when the highest mesh level or photoground texture is loaded depends on the distance and the system perfomances.

In some occasions it gets slower due to whatever reason (memory usage, disk access, background tasks, etc.), that's what used to cause the infamous blurries in former FS9 and FSX photosceneries, and that you still can see in P3Dv4 when flying very fast or using the slew mode.

In AFS2 tiles are loaded much faster (much less to load also) therefore only in some seldom startup cases you can see blurries, that immediately disappear as the textures get refreshed.

But if you set a too high mesh level together with a long range cultivation load distance, you'll get those auotheights issues, and they will also depend on user's computer => some might have more or less of them with the same scenery...

Cheers

Antoine

what I don't know is, when exactly the tth files get loaded, because they do not have a size parameter somewhere.

This would be the reference for setting the size parameter in the tsc file, containing the toc file. The plane should hit first the boundary that triggers the load of the tth file. After that it should hit the size boundary of the tsc file containing the toc file.

(...)

That's also the way I see it.

As far as I understood, the size parameter in the TSC file is a markup in meters above the default load radius, which seems to be some 30km...

Cheers

Antoine

fully agree - doable is not allways desirable

+1.

When sitting in a real aircraft you sure have canopy reflections, there are many of them for instance in an aircraft like the Chipmunk with its very British hood.

However, when looking outside my eyes and brain focus in the far distance and out-of-focus reflections get almost unnoticed. Most of the times it's when I take in-flight pictures that I suddenly notice the nasty reflection I cannot get rid of, while otherwise my brain simply ignored it.

In simulators however, everything is in the same focus and my brain cannot look beyond reflections like in a real aircraft.

Some sure add life to the cockpit, but I find they can quickly tend to kill immersion.

My 2 cents.

Congrats for your work, this Spit looks gorgeous!

Cheers

Antoine