Posts by Trespassers

Hi Jean-Pierre,

It is unfortunately not so easy.

There are various BGL files to make a scenery in FS. The one you try to extract is a library of objects, without placement. Thus you cannot just convert it into a scenery for AFS2, there's no information where objects are to by placed.

Placements are compiled in separate BGL files that just call the objects from the library like we place XREF objects in AFS2.

For instance, among many objects in the library, you have a blue taxi light, and the placement file places copies of this taxi light all along taxiways.

So, to make it short, it will be:

1. you'll need to extract each object from the library and convert it to AFS2 specific format, with _color, _light, lowercase texture naming and alpha layer workaround.

2. you'll need to extract placement files to find out where each object is to be placed in the scenery

The next issue you'll face is the GUID.

Objects of FS libraries are not identified by their name, but by their GUID, that looks like {9cbe248e-8965-4647-870a-9c48c8903f39}

In other words, the placement file tells you GUID {9cbe248e-8965-4647-870a-9c48c8903f39} is placed at some coordinates and then you have to search in which library you have an object with that GUID...

It is feasible, but it's not just opening the BGL in MCX et clicking export...

Last but not least, you're trying to convert a copyrighted product that's soon to be officially released for AFS2, a little bit of patience and it will finally come...

Cheers

Antoine

However some objects do not show up in scenery (e.g. samedan houses). (...)

What is the reason that some do not show up?

A potential reason is xref object name. Since we don't have a list of them for ch, we only have texture names for guessing what could be the corresponding object name. If the texture isn't named the same as the object, it won't work.

Cheers

Antoine

Thanks Antoine. Very interesting. I hope we get to see it one day. The design of the cracked concrete is quite realistic and the buildings appear to be exact replicas like the 2020 image.

Does the sloped runway have the smooth undulation with the flat ramps at the high end?

Regards,

Ray

Yes, it does, like the original one, allowing very reaslistic landing and departure operations.

Cheers

Antoine

Courchevel looks great!

Is it based on a freeware or payware? And on wich one?

it’s the famous payware. It was merely a porting test of 3D slope. It works nicely except 3 aspects :

1) it crashes retractable U/C, there might be something with dual face polygons to be sorted out.

2) the original ground textures make a visible array (that’s new, it wasn’t the case earlier).

3) the original ground textures need color matching correction with background.

So, it should need some work to be done on it before asking the author if he would be interested in releasing it...

cheers

Antoine

Dear IPACS team,

The latest AFS2 update is dated 19.11.2019 (Steam version).

Could we please have the changelog?

BTW the changelog on wiki page hasn't been udapted for ages.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Antoine

What I would recommend is:

(...)

Additional recommendation:

- first Geoconvert in Level 9 only (or Levels 9 & 11 if you want - this should be a rather fast process) to check everything runs smooth.

Launch higher levels afterwards, as a separate batch.

To do this, you just edit the TMC file with Notepad (or better, Notepad++) and comment (add initial // to the lines) blocks for levels you want to ignore.

Since there's little hope the Geoconvert tool will soon (ever?) be fixed, an idea would be Aeroscenery to automatically generate separate, Levels-groups-specific TMC's for manually launching Geoconvert => 1 TMC for Levels 9 & 11, and another for higher selected Levels...

Cheers

Antoine

Hi Thomas,

I haven't thoroughly tested it, but I guess the cultivation texture distribution is simply related to the number of available textures.

In other words if you have 2 textures, the distribution chances will be 50%-50%.

Now, it you have 4 textures for white houses and 1 texture for brick houses, the chances will be 4 to 1.

Technically you may set as many toc files as you want. Of course, the more you have and the longer they get, the more you load the cart...

Cheers

Antoine

Have you try to modify the tsc file and choose autoheight off, like chrispriv explain to me :

Absolute height is an acceptable workaround, but it only works with the elevation mesh on which it was setup.

If someone creates a more refined elevation mesh for your scenery your object won't adapt.

Moreover, wind turbines are seldom single, isolated objects, but usually there are fields of them, so manually adjusting each single object height means a lot of work.

I have a group of airport buildings that suffer the same issue, I'll look into them if I find a fix on the 3D objects themselves and let you know...

Cheers

Antoine

Hi ozhomeroz,

Thank you for sharing your interesting investigations and results.

I just tried your method on a nasty part of mesh causing spikes. It happens to be an unsigned 8bit 5m dem

Here's how default IPACS mesh looks like (quite good thanks to neighbouring Switzerland DLC).

And how it looks like when I activate the geoconverted mesh (8bit source):

Now, after translating in 16bits in Qgis according to your technique, the geconverted mesh looks like this (note de default IPACS mesh in the background)

Default IPACS terrain without the mesh:

So the method is not yet universal, I guess I should add a voids filling with an average value...

Cheers

Antoine

It seam also to have the [autoheight_override-value] [1]. --->Does somebody now the meaning/effect of it?

There are two settings :

autoheight (true or false) which is a global switch for the tsc file

autoheight_override (0 or 1) which is linked to an object. The value -1 gives the same result as 1, I haven't noticed a difference.

Example with [autoheight][true] and [autoheight_override][0], note that I have given an offset of 35m, which is approximately the local ground altitude AMSL.

If I set [autoheight][false], then whatever the autoheight_override value my object is placed at absolute altitude, i.e. 35m AMSL

If I set [autoheight][true], and [autoheight_override][0], then I override the autoheight algorithm and my object is still placed at absolute altitude (35m AMSL).

If I set [autoheight][true], and [autoheight_override][1], then autoheight computes the local ground altitude and my object is placed at relative altitude (35m AGL).

[autoheight_override][-1] gives the same results as [autoheight_override][1]

In other words :

[autoheight][true] + [autoheight_override][-1 or 1] = autoheight is on and the Z coordinate works as an offset to local ground

[autoheight][true] + [autoheight_override][0] = autoheight is off and the Z coordinate works as an offset to sea level

[autoheight][false] = autoheight is off and the Z coordinate works as an offset to sea level

Cheers

Antoine

Thank's, I've just try it but no more success unfortunatly.

And I can't understant why I have no problem with two buildings (the tower and the building below) and problems appear with a third, one that uses the same textures

How did you do it?

I think there's an option in 3DSMax to merge the origins of multiple geometries into 1 common. This is something that can be checked when trying to rotate your object : each geometry rotates around its own centerpoint instead of seeing the complete object rotating as a block. Of course you won't notice it by translating objects.

There must be a similar option in Blender or AC3D.

I don't think there's a feature in MCX to do it

At least, it is something I noticed on some occasions, and I would expect, as Jet-Pack wrote, that once all geometries share the same centerpoint that the resulting 3D object TMB behaves as a block. Again, I've not yet tested but I know in which building I want to do it next...

Cheers

Antoine

(...)The most important difference I felt were the forces acting back from the control surfaces upon the controls.

(...)

Exactly. There's no spring to recenter the yoke/stick in an aircraft: the control surfaces recenter in the air stream.

On the ground there's thus no force (except weight if unbalanced controls), and the faster you fly the stiffer the controls.

The trim alters the centering of the control surfaces in the stream, allowing the pilot to reduce the necessary effort to maintain the yoke/stick in the position corresponding to the desired aircraft attitude.

For instance, in order to fly level, the pilot pulls/pushes on the yoke/stick to get the desired nose attitude, then holds firmly the controls in this position while trimming until no more force is needed, the yoke/stick now naturally recenters in this position.

Of course, each phase of flight may require a different trimming and it's really up to the pilot how and when to use it. Some like to keep a light positive effort in the stick.

Non-FF desktop yoke/joysticks, on the opposite, are spring-loaded and usually recenter on a fix position. Trim acts then merely as an offset.

For flying level, you push/pull the joystick against the spring to get the desired nose attitude. But then, if you hold the yoke/joystick while trimming, you just loose your attitude because trim acts as an offset on elevator.

You need thus to simultaneously progressively relax your effort on the yoke/joystick while trimming, until you achieve the desired nose attitude when your spring-loaded controls are back in their mechanical center zone.

As a result, one usually flies yoyo until approximately finding a suitable trim setting... Flying by the trim is a common FS-grown pilots mistake (I did it too by the past until figuring out how to properly trim my aircraft).

Cheers

Antoine

Salut Michel,

Ne le prends pas mal, mais si tu as besoin d'aide, évite stp de poster n'importe où en hors-sujet. Je ne suis pas sûr de comprendre le rapport entre ta demande et la discussion de ce fil.

Il vaut mieux créer un fil dédié.

Pour essayer de répondre malgré tout à ta question, c'est vague et il y a plein de raisons possibles, à commencer par une fausse manip (cliquer-glisser par erreur un dossier ou un fichier ailleurs)...

Si tu dis que tu n'as fait qu'ajouter un fichier tsc, eh bien la première manip à tenter pour troubleshooter est de désactiver ce tsc en ajoutant le fameux préfixe __ (double underscore) au nom.

Soit ça rentre dans l'ordre et le conflit provient de ton fichier tsc, soit ça ne rentre pas dans l'ordre et je te conseillerais de commencer par inspecter tes répertoires à la recherche d'une fausse manip ou de fichier/dossier manquant.

Pour la suite, comme évoqué il vaut mieux créer un fil dédié. ;)

A+

Antoine