How do I Land the Concorde Smoothly?

• Hi,

Every time I land the Concorde with a VREF of 172KIAS, I cannot flare from 60ft quickly enough to avoid a hard landing. How do I manage autothrottle and pitch inputs to land smoothly at less than -200fpm? Also, why does the rudder have automatic authority when banking at low speed (without any rudder inputs)?

Kind regards and safe flying.

-Thekingbuji333

Edited once, last by Thekingbuji333 (November 15, 2023 at 4:50 AM).

• Best Answer
    • Official Post

We describe how to set up the Autoland in our tutorial flight. With the assistance for Auto-Tuning enabled you can practice the landing quiet easily when you go to the location menu and choose the long final option for your runway.

Concorde Flight Tutorial | Aerofly FS

The trick is to slow down to about 165kt or so. You can keep the autothottle engaged but Concorde creates so much more drag when you lift the nose up on approach at that low speed that you need to do that smoothly so that the autothottle does not ramp up the thrust too much. Due to the delay of the engine spool up it is easy to get into pilot induced oscillations (POIs) if you are too aggressive on the elevator input. I would recommend flying without autothottle for the first couple of landings and try to remember what throttle setting works best.

During the approach the pitch is quite high at 11 degrees or so. For landing you almost don't have to change the pitch attitude at all. Due to the ground effect Concorde pretty much stops the descent rate by herself.

The yaw damper is using the rudder to keep the nose pointed straight. When you use aileron to bank you want the turn to be coordinated. For this the aircraft should roll around its longitudinal axis or even better around its velocity vector. At 15 degrees angle of attack on approach this means to stay coordinated you need a lot of rudder control. That's why the rudder moves with aileron that much.

• We describe how to set up the Autoland in our tutorial flight. With the assistance for Auto-Tuning enabled you can practice the landing quiet easily when you go to the location menu and choose the long final option for your runway.

https://www.aerofly.com/aircraft-tutor…light-tutorial/

The trick is to slow down to about 165kt or so. You can keep the autothottle engaged but Concorde creates so much more drag when you lift the nose up on approach at that low speed that you need to do that smoothly so that the autothottle does not ramp up the thrust too much. Due to the delay of the engine spool up it is easy to get into pilot induced oscillations (POIs) if you are too aggressive on the elevator input. I would recommend flying without autothottle for the first couple of landings and try to remember what throttle setting works best.

During the approach the pitch is quite high at 11 degrees or so. For landing you almost don't have to change the pitch attitude at all. Due to the ground effect Concorde pretty much stops the descent rate by herself.

The yaw damper is using the rudder to keep the nose pointed straight. When you use aileron to bank you want the turn to be coordinated. For this the aircraft should roll around its longitudinal axis or even better around its velocity vector. At 15 degrees angle of attack on approach this means to stay coordinated you need a lot of rudder control. That's why the rudder moves with aileron that much.

With this advice, I just landed at EGLL with a -50fpm landing rate!

Kind regards and safe flying.

-Thekingbuji333