Posts by flightxtreme

Well... minimum height of GA outside cities are 500ft. So it should be 500ft for display references, not 3500 ft. (Cities are 1000 ft) :)

This is for GA. Helicopter flying (or gliders if you do outside-landings) would set an even heavier request for details.

But of cause, everything depends on the resolution AND the quality of the source data.

This is, why I have made Level 14 optional. In most cases you don't need it (and in some region it does not give a higher resolution because of the source data.)

I don't like automated ortho scenery downloads without the possibility to modify the images. I don't like painted clouds on the ground, cloud shadows, "chemtrails", flying planes and planes on the ground you normally discover on Ortho-Pictures… Yet, I haven't done it, but I also like to have the possibility to remove bridges and create them as real objects.

All this could not be distributed, if each user build his scenery automatically.

You cannot connect this directly.

The "Zoomlevel" is the resolution you can download from the sources.

The compilation Level from Geoconvert is the definition of the output.

You can download Zoomlevel 7 and compile with "Level" 15. Does not make sense, but you can.

And in FSET the Level goes into negative to get more detail.

So Image Detail "Zoomlevel" Aeroscenery to FSET "Download Resolution"

you can compare like this; (approx…)

20 -> -2

19 -> -1

18 -> 0

17 -> 1

16 -> 2

15 -> 3

and so on.

What tile level you compile from your sources depends on what you want.

I would always try to work with the detailed download sources I can get. In this case for example the imprints of google maps are getting very small or even not visible, if you convert Image Detail "20" to only Level 9 to 13.

This is not an improvement, this is just incomplete. You can publish something like this for free, yes. But making money?

If he/she chose an area already covered by photo textures to improve it is ok But this way? Same with the Mesh-Addons from Taburet;) But this is just my opinion. It is a bit different if you do such addons for a sim providing the whole world with flyable area or if you have a sim having only some region complete.

Not much information, Let me guess, if someone have more information, it should be good:

• Autogen for Jackson based on the latest OpenStreetMap (OSM) data.
      • We have cultivation, not autogen. This is simple to do with ready available scripts for sceneProc and even more simple with my generator using sceneProc. Are there own textures for cultivation included? Own objects?
    • Detailed 10m mesh covering over 2700 km2 (USGS)
      • This is an area of around 50 x 50 km, just to make the number better understandable.
    • High Quality Night Lighting
      • What High Quality? A new light system? This will be the standard lights from the cultivation. Am I right?
    • Basic Representation of KJAC included so that you can get flying right away!
      • Just the tsc airport definition? Or FSCloudport created? Flying right away… how... without photo scenery?

Would be interesting to read what sources and tools he/she used and if there are credits. ;)

I like these stories. Remembers me the time I done the Dornier-Whale Project for the FS9 with two other guys. I started the project, because I wanted to create a plane - without a complicated landing gear. So I ended up with this flying boat. I started researching, finding out the story behind the Greenland-Whale. Amundsen tried to fly to the north pole, then von Gronau travels with the same plane from Germany to America. And later a second trip around the whole world. Found the original radio conversations for the world trip, even got in contact with someone from the family of one of the crew member. It makes so much fun doing projects like this, there are so many interesting stories behind. Keep telling us more. :)

"Also, here are the detailed values of that resolution limit, for each level and varying with latitude, in meters per pixel: resolution vs level vs latitude link"

Thank you @querty42 . I was always a bit curious about people giving the meter per pixel value without the latitude in mind. The consequence is also, in a 2024x2024 tile the lat resolution is different to the lon resolution. :)

Also the resources of geotiffs can have different sizes and thus different resolutions. I had at 49 degree a perfect square, at 50 degree the height was twice of the width. You have to calculate your output maximum level depending on all this informations, if you make a good job. :)

trau dich einfach auf ok. Und dann gibt es noch ein Eigenschaftsmenü. ;)

sollte aber auch das gleiche wie in qgis stehen.

Sorry, I cannot check your stuff in the bath tube. And I am on the way to the aerobatic nationals. So no time. There will be an article in the german FS Magazin in one of the next issues where I describe how I do elevation mesh. So stay tuned. ;)

ZoSoChile Move your plane to a very different place and back again, so AFFS2 will load your files and did not use a cached version. Or reboot your computer. (If you don't have it already. Ah sorry, this is nonsense in your case... No idea for you at the moment. )

Lucky1960 : the tmc defines the output area. Of cause this area should cover the area from the input files, somehow. it does not matter what resolution the sources have. The values the tfw file you can find inside the geotiff properties. Or you can calculate them if you know the size of the geotiff (pixel) and the target area (latlong -> width, height in meter) of your geotiffs. Usually it is quiet the same from geoTiff to geotiff in the same region - but it can be different if the pixel x pixel is different.

You must also have the correct values in the first and forth line of the tfw file. If this does not match your source tiffs it will fail.

Also check the coordinates of your tmc file. This will set the size of the output area. Especially check if the order of lon lat is correct and you did not enter them vice versa.

I have not used this source. Sorry.

If I get the Spike-Fields, it is usually the wrong modifications or export from gimp. I also use the SRTM 1°Arc sources from the IPACS-wikipages. These are already in geoTiff format, so I do not need to convert the sources into geoTiff, they already are.

Czech Republic Meshes working well together with the standard-Mesh so far. I always compile whole tiles without masked files as a result and go from Level 9 to 11. I don't do Level 7 and 8. The borders of the tiles are looking ok at the moment. So I don't see why I should do 7 to 8.

(Well, I compile the whole region and just put the right files for the specific tiles I am working on into the scenery.)

I know one that can ...

Well... sometimes it works, sometimes not and I am relying on help from another person at the moment. Not a thing I want to go to public yet.

But there are others who can do better and there is somewhere a thread here, explaining how you do elevation maps. (Not fully to my understanding...) I am still learning at this topic.

Michael,

if you look at this picture from further up you can see your possible problem:

16758-level7-jpg

The blue tiles are ending somewhere. Further north it is zero mesh.

You have to provide your own mesh.

Where the spike in your second screen comes from, I don't know.

turman

Well, your link to the OSM page say they use 256-pixel wide tiles. This is different to what AFS2 is using. This lead to different m/pixel. Also OSM stated "on equator".

AFS2 is using 2048 pixel wide tiles.

"Zoom-Level" relates to the picture source of the ortho tiles.

"Level" normally is related to the resulting AFS2 files generated.

As a result of this: Your Zoom-Level should be three higher than the AFS2-Level output to get the 256 -> 2058 difference.