Posts by Spit40

Yes, i get the idea - push the ugly transition out to sea. You'd need to paint over the white squares with a cloned texture rather than single colour. That sounds worth a go.

Going down the other tack, and having spent some time recently with UK ordnance survey data, i now have vector data on tidal limits throughout the uk. If only that data could be used to clip the FSET bitmap data, ideally with a nice alpha fade of course.

For anyone else following this video note that the SketchUp export also outputs a folder of textures used. If you're moving files around don't overlook that or you'll get a textureless model in MCX (the subject of my post above now deleted).

Anyway, now I'm up to texture/drawcall optimising and conversion to BMP and I'm hitting this problem: "Materials editor" doesn't match the video - no tabs at the bottom. What I do see though is a mass texture editor which looks useful as I have quite a few,

Update

I've tried using mass texture editor but it fails looking for the location of ImageTool which seems to be an FSX executable.

I found a download for it? Is this the right thing/safe?

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

Oh,

I can't do it right now, since I don't have the content converter installed at my office pc. I'll have to wait until tonight when I come home.

I've got the content converter on my laptop here. I don't know if these files will work, but the conversion succeeded. Try them in Fs2 if you can.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq7g3r0lxng10rc/scenery.zip?dl=0

1. Renamed objects in .ac file as below
    2. Exported both ybbn_rwy.tgi & ybbn_decal.tgi
    3. Commented out lines 40-44 in the TSC as you don't yet have an object TGI

Rodeo will probably respond soon, and my observations may be only cosmetic but I would rename the airport group to brisbane_rwy and make it consistent with the decals, so make them brisbane__decals__priority0

I'd test that for you now but I'm meant to be at work !

P.S. I found F6 useful. It gives model info including each element and what textures are linked to it.

Thanks. I got there. The white was fine, but I didn't have the decals TIF in my folder so I'd lost that as the texture for the decals (assuming the white I was seeing would appear in the render). Now I've loaded in the TIF texture for the decals and it looks more promising, but I have another wierd thing. The TIF file when I open it in graphics software is just a plain square of texture. But its thumbnail is like this:

Some sort of layer thing I presume? When I do F10 on the decals all I see is the grey square like this, so I can't move the texture co-ordinate editor over some runway numbers. I don't see any numbers. I've gone back to a clean unzip of KDWH and I don't see any numbers on there either, even after an AC3D reset all settings.

This is what I see in the KDWH, freshly unzipped and opened in AC3D. What happened to 35L ?

Success - I have a runway... but with blue decals

Any ideas Rodeo ? I thought maybe the decals were below the runway surface, so I compared with KDWH and matched that. I think its to do with one of those accidentally pressed settings but I don't know which and would rather not start from scratch making this again. The decals are white and look fine in AC3D and something is working because the blue is exactly where I put them.

Is there a way to get this data from Google Maps? OpenStreetMaps does not have any data for building positions in any of the nearby towns, but Google Maps does show them. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Andrew

i doubt it but do some googling around other sources of data for your particular country. That's how i found the Ordnance Survey data for the UK.

You need to restore the original orientation. I'm just managing to get through this stage myself. Some learnings.

• This application seems prone to accidentally changing settings. The way i've seen it happen is that i put the mouse in a field to change a value and start typing, but the mouse has accidentally shifted outside the field. The field immediately loses focus and the text you type (such as a new name for an object) is being accepted by the main window. Normally simple key presses without Ctrl or Shift don't do anything, but some do. 'T' is one and i think 'W'. Anyway they cause wierd effects. The first time it happened i deleted all my work and started again, the second time i found a 'Reset default' settings option. The third time i pressed w and t again.
    • Another edit niggle is the rotate field and this sort of thing perhaps happens in other fields. It may have a default 90, so you change it to perhaps 10 and press the +, but it still moves 90 as it hasn't accepted the 10 yet. So you press enter after the 90 and it rotates immediately, before you're ready sometimes. I found the best way was to press escape after entering the value.
    • You may accidentally shift everything so your centre point moves from where it needs to be. Do select all and move it back with the mouse. Make sure you select everything. Keeping copies at different steps helps here if you move the wrong bits and get them out of sync.
    • The way that mesh only shows grid squares for the top part of the area confused me for an hour or two. You just have to accept it and move everything around underneath it to ensure alignment. Clicking the padlock symbol on the mesh will make all the squares show if you want, but you can't select individual surfaces then.