Posts by Spit40

Rodeo and drhotwing1 (IPACS) and everyone, I think I have a nice solution to avoid the need for installing and running inf2tfwconverter.exe

The problem is that inf files start AreaFSInfo_ and bmp files start Area_ and Geoconvert's auto TFW conversion only works if they are the same

So just modify the .BAT file to rename them before it runs. I'm now using these files:

1) config-geoconvert.tmc (I update this using my http://ndgrad.co.uk/fs2/fset2tmc/ page)

2) geoconvert.bat as follows

@echo off
    SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION
    for /f "tokens=*" %%f in ('dir /b input_aerial_images\AreaFSInfo_*.inf') do (
    SET newname=%%f
    SET newname=!newname:AreaFSInfo_=Area_!
    move "input_aerial_images\%%f" "input_aerial_images\!newname!"
    )
    .\aerofly_fs_2_geoconvert.exe config-geoconvert.tmc

Phil,

your TMC code is a great supplement and facilitation!!!

We will add how to get the PartialFSEarthTiles.ini by pressing the E button. This is probably only known by people having some experience with FSET.
    Many thanks for this idea.

Pure luck Rodeo ! I clicked various buttons not knowing that one of them generated the partial ini. Thanks for telling me which.

I see 4 areas to streamline more, at least for a first go:

1) Auto convert the inf to tfw using one of the 3 methods i proposed

2) Don't worry about coordinates at all. Select the area you want using the mouse/zoom in FSET, then the partial.ini holds the coord data which my converter can make into a TMC

3) Don't bother making different tmc/bat files for geoconvert processing. Just have one called geoconvert.tmc and geoconvert.bat. Just edit the TMC then and you're ready to go

4) i'm going to explore whether imagemagick can autoidentify default water tiles and replace them with transparency, ideally with a feathered smoothed border to avoid it looking to square-edgy

Screenshots of the Lake District to follow...

Hi Rodeo - I think it would be good to bottom out the issue of geoconvert auto converting .INF to TFW. It would be so much easier if it did. You said that as long as the .INF matched the .BMP all would be fine but I see that they come out slightly different, as below. Perhaps there are FSET options that avoid this? The inf2tfw tool requires java 8, which I didn't have, and then you get warning messages about windows 10 that might put people off.

AreaFSInfo_Lp1_SnapOff_N054335107_N054271400_W003412603_W003283083.inf

Area_Lp1_SnapOff_N054335107_N054271400_W003412603_W003283083.bmp

If there's no way to avoid it I'm thinking:

1) I might see if I can do the inf2tfw with a .BAT script, avoiding installs (and it could be part of the SDK then)

2) I guess it easier to have a .BAT that harmonises INF/BMP filenames

3) ...or get Geoconvert to match the filenames with a wildcard between "Area_" and the first co-ordinate?

I'm a big fan of automation. For example I didn't like the idea of retyping those co-ordinates for decimal co-ords, so I've made this page:

http://ndgrad.co.uk/fs2/fset2tmc/

Concerning starting up Aerofly in VR straight from the desktop: I have been doing this for months already and I only had to add -othervr to the load options in Steam and that was it. No need for all those batches and what not: whenever I click the desktop icon of AFS2 (which was created when I installed the sim) I am in VR without any problems.

..and if you occasionally want to run in desktop mode, what do you do?

I've never had sound auto-switch to Rift when running FS2. I need to do it manually from the taskbar or run SteamVR. I went to the trouble of doing the oculus home thing with bat2exe in the hope that Home's auto-switch to Rift would kick in. It didn't.

I used the -othervr for a while then took it out as occasionally I want to run in desktop mode and being locked into oculus mode was more trouble than it was worth - I'd forget where in settings I needed to remove it. It would be good if it could work as a shortcut suffix so I could have different desktop shortcuts.

+1

I used to be able to launch FS2 from the taskbar steam icon and it would first ask what mode to play in: desktop,oculus,steam. A recent steam update stopped this working, so now I too launch the steam library, go to Fs2, right click on "Play" and choose play in oculus mode. A bit tedious.

As for sound, I first launch SteamVR (even though I have rift) just to get the sound switched over to Rift, though it also has the benefit of enabling audio mirror to my bass shakers. It would be nice to skip this step as Oculus Home now also has auto-audio-mirror as well as auto-audio-switch-to-Rift, but FS2 doesn't act on it.

Another weekend coming up.... perhaps today for geoconvert? Even if a tweaked one comes out in a few weeks.

Surely even if you think you've nailed every possible complication Jeff, it will still be too complicated for some people and other people would cope anyway. Also when people start using it ideas and workarounds will be suggested which you hadn't thought of. Plus you'll probably have helpful people creating their own videos showing how to use it and basically doing a lot of the work for you.

Yes I get the same. Also I think sounds are mono rather than stereo so overall the contribution that sound makes to immersion is not great. It's an area I'd love to see improved. I don't play DCS much but I'm sure I remember sound being a real strength with that.

I'm afraid due to copyright issues of the satellite images it won't be possible to share the scenery legally, at least not outside of the US.

It may be ok for personal usage only, I'm not really sure.

Regards,

Jan

This is going to have to be done independently of Steam or Ipacs. Ideas anyone. Big dropbox account?