Posts by whitav8

GrahamD,

Some of the variables in VR system testing include the following:

1) CPU - number of cores, cache size, and speed of each one (Ghz) + memory speed

2) GPU - clock speed and number of ROPs, etc..

3) SuperSampling value (1.0 to 2.0)

4) VR HMD pixel dimensions ratio (actually being used at the HDMI connector) ( as you said 1.8 times for 1st gen WMR vs. Pimax 5k+ - that's quite a bit! )

5) HMD update rate 90 Hz vs ASW (or equivalent) 45 Hz

6) Nvidia/AMD driver version

7) Steam VR vs. Oculus vs WMR software runtimes

8) The application itself may handle different combinations better (headroom??) - especially as they near going slower than 90Hz (11 msec period)

So to be truly a detailed match using a single VR application, all of these (and maybe more) have to be specified.

I have asked Nickhod, the author of Aeroscenery to consider a command script file for making scenery that we could share and if he could read the coast line vector data and create completed water that might be a reasonable solution. And if there was a shareable Scenproc file or just provide the TOC files, except for the lengthy Geoconverter times , we might be able to automatically reproduce each other’s scenery

frui,

A lot of us VR guys would like to know about "banding" for night flying. The Rift has very noticeable areas that deliniate between a color at the horizon and the next color as it moves to darker regions above - especially just after sunset. Could you please report about what you see during night flying - with and without a lot of cultivation lighting.

Thanks

Dave W.

Ken,

Yes, I got H and V backwards for the Rift CV1, But I have seen it calculated as 1200 / 110 FOV = 10.9 so I will keep looking for the best hard data - the improvement simply by this calculation is 39%, not 50% . But also, if you use "normal" FOV of 150 deg for the Pimax 5K+ that SweViver uses instead of 170, then the PPD = 17.1 which would then be 56% better than Rift. Also, the resolution at the "center" area of the display will be quite different than at the edges with lens distortion. Also, the spacing and quantity of red, green, and blue subpixels has a lot to do not only with Screen Door Effect but also "clarity" - each company's / model panel will be different. Lots of factors to consider.

Frui, any chance you could take a highly magnified, inside-the-lens (at the sweet spot ) photo of both an instrument panel digit on maybe the A320 PFD Speed readout, and then a similar photo of a static aircraft at an airport that is maybe 50 feet away - for your old Rift and then the 5K+ ? I realize I am asking a lot. We are simply trying to actually measure the difference in resolution. Maybe, SweViver will help out.

Dave W.

EDIT: Just for reference, the number of Pixels Per Degree required for 20/20 vision apparently is at least 60 PPD.

frui,

Thanks for the feedback on out-the-window clarity - sounds like a winner!

A rough calculation for pixels per degree (horizontal) comparison:

Rift: 1080 pixels / 100 degrees = 10.8 PPD

PiMax 5K+: 2560 pixels / 170 degrees = 15.1 PPD

This would suggest an approximately 50% improvement in clarity by itself (horizontally) - maybe only 10 ->20% vertically but all the pixel RGB elements and their arrangement might be responsible for some more of the clarity and reduced SDE.

Question to Frui - if you really stare/focus on it - how do you rate the Screen Door Effect?

Also, the 8K looks like a flight sim loser for now (except for movies) but we can hope that the 8K X (+??) will act like you are trying to drive two 4K monitors (two Display Ports required ) which might just be possible with no extra SuperSampling and a 2080 Ti. Dreaming?? Then the Horizontal PPI would be 3960 / 170 = 23.3 and would finally be double that of a Rift (but still the RGB pixel element pattern is critical)

Dave W.

I'm a little confused that you are running at 50 fps since I thought we were told that there isn't any support for ASW (Rift) or "Spacewarp" ability to handle half rates yet. You should see stutter when you move your head rapidly if "ASW" or equivalent isn't available since the performance is lower than 90fps .

I would like you to please try some lesser scenery - like maybe Orbx Monterey - and a simpler aircraft like the Jungmeister and try to get 90fps for some smooth aerobatics. I really want to be encouraged to get the Pimax 5K+ . Also, what SuperSampling value are you using and how much "clearer" is the far away image than a Rift/Vive - how much SDE do you experience?

Dave W

frui

How about also trying the stock airport at San Francisco 01R (Jungmeister aircraft) and also maybe a set of more high to medium FS2 graphic settings. For example, the regular monitor HD (1920x1080) resolution performance in that situation should be maybe 150 fps or so - and then repeat with Pimax.

Thanks much (we want to hear what performs well - especially before we get "ASW" (half frame) capability. Once the update rate is OK, then focus on the image quality reports. I want to get a Pimax! Do you think the SteamVR software is slowing down the performance at all?

Dave W.

frui,

I'm a little confused about your poor Pimax 5k+/8K performance since others are reporting much better performance with DCS which we all know to be much slower than AFS2. This video discusses at length - particularly at 6:50 or so:

Also, it appears that the equivalent of Rift ASW is not available for Pimax yet? We will need it.

frui,

Your Pimax5K+ results are confusing:

QUOTE:

The first two test results:

PiTool 1.5 SteamVR SS 40% 1080: 36 2080Ti: 48

PiTool 2.0 SteamVR SS 40% 1080: 30 2080Ti: 42

What AFS2 graphic settings are you using,

what results do you get with Oculus or Vive,

Are you enabling reprojection? - why are the rates (36 and 48) not 45fps exactly at least most of the time?

What is the quality of the image vs the Oculus or Vive - what FOV setting are you using.

Maybe the Steam VR software can't really handle the Pimax??

nickhod,

I vote for the "Save Project File" capability that you thought of that we could then provide to each other and get the exact same aerial imagery even though it would take overnight sometimes. Yes, the issue of "photoshopping" the images might be left to the user with some written down tips but still just getting the raw imagery correctly would be a great start.

Thanks much

Dave W.