Posts by Jetjockey10

Ken,

I used a mix of VE and Google. Google seems to have more updates recently but, you just have to look at both and choose or mix. I am redoing Florida getting ready for the new SF DLC and Google is the choice there. I have gotten use to the 1m dl but the 2m remains a good start. I did a 4m 4 block area for Southern Germany and North Austria over the weekend and it came in at 8.5 GB. Ouch.

You can always make a large lower res area to connect all those boxes.

Regards,

Ray

I like the "TrueEarth Netherlands for AFS2 coming in the next week or so, followed by UK, PNW, Germany and perhaps more"

I hope we don't get South Florida DLC and TE Netherlands on the same day, or maybe I do. duh. :)

Regards,

Ray

SchwabeVR,

There are no other alternatives for generating scenery today. Very soon we may have AeroScenery working with an easy GUI with all the work being done in the background. You can follow Nick’s progress here on these forums.

Regards,

Ray

Well, I thought I would give it a quick test. I spent way too much time trying to figure our the FSET coordinates and bounding box. I failed to realize that FSET must have an English version and a European version because after converting the bounding box to the deg min sec they made no sense to my FSET box. I finally realized the mix up and got it straight. I'm guessing the scenery that I am building now is close enough. I am using dl4 (4m/pix) for a quick look.

For those on this side of the pond that wish to give this a try, this might help.

Regards,

Ray

Aero chart

Looks good. My scenery is still being processed but I have the area completed at dl 4 - 4m/pic at 9, 11, and 12. Level 13 is still being processed.

Here are some screenshots.

Regards,

Ray

Looking West from Salzburg area at FL250

Appr to Salzburg - lots of cultivation

Ray, for questions 1 & 2, I believe Zoom = scenery resolution. I think zoom 17 = 1m/pix Google resolution but Nick will have to confirm.

For question 3, it is fixed at level 9 size for 0.4 version but Nick plans to make it adjustable in a future version. If you happen to click more than 1 square, it will download those too - not sure how to unclick a square - may just have to restart the program to clear out unwanted squares.

Ken

Thanks for the info. I ran some comparisons with FSET and it appears to me the Nick's level 17 is almost spot on download level 2 (2m/pix) with 16640 tiles using 4 areas at my lat lon. When I move to dl 1 FSET moves to 66300 tiles in 12 areas. I assume that will be level 18 but haven't verified that just yet. I don't have an exact measurement of Nick's level 9 square but it is very close to 35 nm x 35 nm N32 W90.

I am eager to see Nick capture the USGS scenery in a similar method. That would be outstanding for sharing our scenery.

Regards,

Ray

Double click a square to remove it.

Regards,

Ray

Nick,

Using 0.4 beta. I made one square level 17 at AFS2 levels 9, 11, 12, 13, and 14 and it worked just fine. I then attempted 4 adjacent squares at the same level and AeroScenery made it up to the start of 'Run GeoConvert' and choked. I rebooted and attempted to run it again with only the Run GeoConvert checked but it choked after 4 total ttc files.

Regards,

Ray

How do you select a small area? Just an airport for instance - maybe 5 nm x 5 nm. I wouldn't want to run a Zoom Level 18/AFS2 level 15 for an entire square but, I would like to see how it handles a small concentrated area.

Regards,

Ray

Hello Nick,

I am running your 0.4 beta for the first time. I have a few questions that may already have answers posted but I missed them.

1. Can you explain the Zoom level? does this determine the downloaded scenery resolution?

2. What are my choices, and where I choose them, for download resolution. i.e. 2m/pix, 1m/pix, 0.5m/pix? Is this the slider?

3. Is the blue square selection a fixed size? I see it is defaulted to level 9 - large

The interface looks great and should be very easy to use, which is what we have been needing since day one. Thanks for all this creative work. I am really looking forward to seeing this work with the USGS which has a lot of potential for sharing our work.

Regards,

Ray

Patrick,

I do not know what Google Map level 17 is. The normal high def scenery download is download level 1 (1m), maybe download level 0 (.5m/pix) for small airport areas and very seldom do we use download level -1 (.25m/pix). Any large area will probably choke the system if you are using either download level 0 or -1. These are usually reserved for very small areas like an airport or smaller, not a city or open areas. This will require a very high capacity cpu.

If it is a download level 1 (1m) then I would be familiar with that level. I doubt you can do an entire state at one time without crashing the system. That sounds like about 10x normal to me.

But, with GeoConverter you can process level 9 - 12 one day and 13 and 14 another day. Just make sure you adjust your tmc file to only process the levels that you desire at that time. I would group them as level 9 - 13 for one job and level 14 alone. Level 14 is the larger job by far. Just mix all the results into the same folder when completed. Level 15 might be considered as 'insane' for a statewide level.

Maybe Jeff or Rodeo can step in and advise you.

I made an approximation using FSET for an area the size of the state of Ohio using download level 1 (1m/pix) and the area count is 306. My largest job ever was 30 areas so 10x is a good guess. This would result in 1,725,000 tiles. Just for kicks I changed the download level to 2 (2m/pix) and the area count is 81 or 3x a normal large scenery area.

Regards,

Ray

I found this AFS2 resolution chart.

Regards,

Ray

Yes, I have been doing exactly what Jeff recommends to keep the size and performance of the cultivation files in check. There is a lot of cultivation in the metro areas and in any very large coverage area. Building a cultivation file is super easy and quick btw.

Here are the airports that I had added prior to Phil giving the community the free use of fsCloudBase. I will go back one rainy day and update many of the airports to add buildings and static aircraft. fsCloudBase is just about as easy and possible to add a realistic airport in AFS2. Still needs to work out a wrinkle for two so we can add crossing runways, taxiways, and ramps.

Regards,

Ray

3 groups of airports shown.

Here is what Dallas looks like at 1m 14 w/o cultivation.

Regards,

Ray

and here is Houston at 1m lvl 14 6,000 ft.

Ken,

Dal to Hou is bit of a stretch in distance, I used 2 or 3 blocks to cover that area. I have a larger than normal area for Houston and a larger than normal area for Dallas. I have an area for Austin/Georgetown another for Waco/Killeen and I have one for Galveston and San Antonio.

Texas is big.

About your numbered list. A few corrections-

4. Run levels 9, 11 and copy results to AFS2 and check for accuracy. If ok, then run 9 - 14 and copy to AFS2 (replace the level 9 and 11). I choose to run the higher levels overnight or when I am watching tv. 3+ hours of dedicated cpu time. The first test only takes a few minutes.

If not ok then go back to 3. and correct and download the corrected area.

I will check my files and post the block sizes and file sizes but this will be 20 GB or more.

You might consider making Houston and Dallas as separate areas at dl level 1 and process at 9 - 14 but for the connecting area use dl 2 or even dl 3 and process at level 9 - 13 as flyover area.

Regards,

Ray

Ken,

It is difficult for me to find the exact areas covered by each folder but, the Dallas/Ft Worth area is something like this. Big area for Dallas, slightly smaller area for Ft Worth, and a 3rd area for South Dallas. See attachment. I may have Houston covered by one area with Galveston for the South and East. Take a look at the sized of the folders for the completed scenery files.

Regards,

Ray

Ken

You might try something along these lines.

Regards,

Ray

Early on I did an 8m low res area for Dallas and a second 8m low res area for Houston/San Antonio/Beaumont based on lat lon lines just to see what it looked like to fly over. These cover a large area but are only good at high altitudes.

Regards,

Ray

I'm sorry, I still don't understand how an engine with zero throttle can sound the same as it does with full throttle, but as strange as it is you have confirmed it's not a bug it's intentional.

Awesome graphics though! 😊

I found some old videos of the real deal from WWII training films when searching on youTube. Just search for Corsair. The range of sounds is very evident in the dives and climbs but more noticeable in the take offs. Crank up the volume and hold on.

Regards,

Ray

Either would be great. If more liveries, a FedEx livery would be a good choice, and if we can have two, a private BBJ lookalike would be ideal.

When the template is released, the our friend GACSavannah will prohopefully work some into his busy schedule. I remember he asks for it from time to time. Many of the existing liveries are out of date with all the mergers and buyouts.

Regards,

Ray

Thanks Thomas,

Great looking image.

Yes, this last big update has a ton of improvements and fixes. It will probably take some time for us to discover all of them. I wonder if the delay of the Orbx Switzerland cultivation pack was so this lighting update could be released?

Maybe we can start an ongoing thread to share the “new” or “outstanding” finds. I heard there are several “Easter Eggs” that were not mentioned in the release description.

Regards,

Ray