Posts by Jetjockey10

Michael,

Real world airports with runway numbers and such can be easily seen by zooming in using one of the satellite maps, like ESRI Sat Data or ESRI Sat Hybrid. You can monitor your airport movements from taxiway to taxiway and to ramp or gate parking assignments. It is just like Safe Taxi from Garmin actually. This is especially nice when you are not familiar with the airport layouts and taxiways.

Regards,

Ray

Vincent,

I think FSwidgets has a lot more in their package that you may be aware. They also have a demo. I don't think it is time limited, but limited to the San Francisco area. All the features are available to so you learn the system. The limits are with AFS2 and not FSWidgets.

There are a total of 35 flight maps included, more than any other program that I know of. You can read in a flight plan that can be made with many different programs, some free one. I use another FSWidgets program - Quickplan - and then read my flight plan into the AFS2 version of GMapHD. I duplicate the plan and create it using the NAV screen of AFS2. I can then follow the progress visually on the FSwidgets maps. This is extra work for now but it does work well. One day, when the NAV in AFS2 is updated it should to an automatic read and fly with the option of using the FSwidgets maps and other features.

You can browse around their website and learn a lot about the capabilities. http://www.fswidgets.com

FSWidgets technical support is absolutely the best of any company I have ever dealt with. They have several other programs that can be adapted for AFS2 when the time it right.

Regards,

Ray

If you haven't tried cultivation you might want to reconsider. Take a look at this sleepy countryside NE of Oslo, Norway. This is climbing out from Kjeller, ENKJ, a combo military base and general aviation airport in Skedsmo, Norway. Situated in the outskirts of Lillestrøm. This airport was uploaded to fsCloudPort by TomSimMuc. This cultivation was made by Thomas.

You can download it direct from here. http://www.fscloudport.com/icao/enkj.htm

Regards,

Ray

Yes, Thomas' Oslo Gardenmoen, ENGM, is now a classic airport built by a user and totally free. Using all free programs with FSCloudPort Airport Builder as the hub, with scenery from FSET and GeoConverter, 3d objects from the IPACS Library, with additional user contributed 3d objects from LarryLynx, elevation data from Norway and a few additional special touches from Phil. It all comes together with ingenuity, long hours, hard work and lots of encouragement from the FSCloudPort team. Special thanks to Rodeo for getting the ball rolling and blazing the trail, and all the forum contributors that take our wishes and desires and run with them and then tell how to avoid the potholes. :huh:;)8o

Remember, you still have to use FSET and GeoConverter to build your airport sceneny. Thomas recommends FSET dl -1 and level 15 processing. It comes out an even Gigibyte. These screenshot include custom cultivation.

Direct download link http://www.fscloudport.com/icao/engm.htm

Check these screenshots.

Excellent point Ray. Gibraltar was an interesting example to pick on as I now see that my high level map doesn't even have it !

I'd better work out how that code works and add Gibraltar. Going forward though, as I've used plugin code that I didn't write myself I'm reluctant to spend time investigating how to recode it for other island groupings with so many other things people want sooner.

For now GI is back to GB

Then, for now, how about an "other" grouping for those that will fall in the crack or just fail to show on the high level map?

Regards,

Ray

How about some custom code that groups the Islands geographically? Can you draw an oval around the Caribbean Island chain and just call it Island Chain and group them all together. the text will explain who they belong to country wise.

We may end up with 3 or 4 or more Island Groups and then have several other islands stand alone due to their isolation from other islands. Hawaii, Azores, etc.

I agree that the map is small and the islands are smaller so I have trouble finding islands that I am already familiar with.

Regards,

Ray

Kodiak Alaska is alive and well in AFS2, thanks to FSCloudPort and FSET/GeoConverter. We have a fully functioning 3-runway bespoke airport for the Coast Guard and Kodiak Island to share and a nice little downtown airport for the Cessnas, Pipers and homebuilts. This small runway even has a water runway just waiting for AFS2 water and floatplanes. Nice 3d effect with the storage tanks on the hill side. Thanks Phil, thanks Rodeo, thanks IPACS.

Regards,

Ray

Here is a direct link to download the main airport. http://www.fscloudport.com/icao/padq.htm

The small downtown airport is PAKD.

Minimal cultivation in this remote region.

Ray, thanks again for the cultivate 1st tip - wow all those houses and buildings look nice! I didn't see any trees - did I miss a setting somewhere? My current scenery resolution is only 2m. That's Breakaway on the left - now I need to clean-up my manually placed FSCP houses & buildings :)

Good start. I’m not sure where your trees are hiding. How large, or maybe how small is your cultivation area? Maybe try all of NW Austin and check for groups of trees. You might also try a small dl level 1 area and process at 9 - 14.

Regards,

Ray

Just like you can select a plane with a different paint scheme, it would be nice if you could select different versions of a FSCP airport.

There are a finite number of major airports and the first person to place a runway may not be planning to invest hours to add more detail / buildings / aircraft which means that airport never gets fully developed.

Sure, I think we all agree this is one of the goals. It is still very early in the development and things that are important will float to the top. I just recently noticed that it is better not to add a bunch of buildings at the smaller airports, but to add cultivation first, then download and install and see what buildings the cultivation program adds for you. Some of them are not in our library of choices and other will overlap at times.

Regards,

Ray

Should I be downloading Google Earth files (using the ini 773 fix) instead of Virtual Earth files? I don't remember seeing anything in the tutorial about this FSET option.

Ken, I usually zoom in a took a look at both Virtual Earth and Google to see which is the better for a given area. Surprisingly, Virtual Earth is better in many locations.

You can also combine the two for some smaller areas, like Google will intentionally mess up a lake but the surrounds are better. You can use one of the available scenery editors to cut and paste one area from one to the other and then process that improved file.

The quality of the image changes with the download level also. Some are full of clouds, other levels are not, or less so.

Regards,

Ray