Posts by Oldar

I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest. The use of the term "sightseeing" as a pejorative kind of set me off, and I apologize if my post has contributed to any disruption here in our little pond.

I can't imagine what were in the posts you removed, and I don't want to know. I just wanted to speak up for those of us, many of whom are early adopters, who think that "sightseeing" is an integral part of the FS 2 experience. Isn't that why Orbx got involved with FS 2? Why buy an Orbx add-on if you aren't interested in "sightseeing". That is what Orbx is all about.

Anyway, I love the sim and use it everyday. Keep up the good work.

Bill

If FS2 isn't supposed to be a "gosh - wow" visual simulator I don't get the point of using it. I don't want the interiors of buildings modeled either, but I can get far more realistic systems simulation from P3D today than we are likely to EVER get from FS 2 with its tiny team of programmers. If FS 2 loses its cutting edge visual advantage it will certainly lose me.

I guess the sim is evolving away from the "real feeling of flying" that was it's original reason for being, or at least the user base is. We already have study sims for P3D and X Plane. This was supposed to be different. Let's not allow this to become another "I fly PMDG and since you don't you are a loser" situation. That may be extreme, but everyone reading this knows exactly what I am talking about.

My 1 cent.

I think part of the point of the original post, as least as I read it, was to point out just how much is not in the sim yet, and how patient we loyal customers have been and will continue to be. Frankly I don't see how such a small team will ever be able to provide all of the things that have been promised or at least implied as coming in the future before even THIS wonderful system will be obsolete.

And I don't WANT everything that we get in other sims, as long as the experience is so thrilling. Even nine months after purchase I still get amazed at how FS 2 can make me feel in VR. I never expect global coverage to be available because it will be too storage intensive. Instead, I have been concentrating on making scenery "strips" that allow me to recreate flight plans that I want to fly. As Geoconvert continues to improve that experience will only get better.

But there are still obvious things the sim lacks, and realistic clouds is one of them. There is no doubt that the clouds as they are now is a turnoff for many would-be users. I like flying at night, so for me a way to add night lighting will be very welcome. It also still needs a real fuel system and mixture controls for the prop planes.

And of course that Holy Grail, the ATC system will be a crowning glory. They seem to have been toiling away on it for a year, so I am sure that it will be the best that is available in a desk top flight sim.

Love the sim, spend 98% of my flight simming time with it, and will never abandon it. But it doesn't hurt to be honest about what can make the best even better!

Generally I do agree and out of the 26 points Ray mentioned there's not a single important one, except ATC, for me.

In case of the external camera question I had to bump it because I don't even know if someone from IPACS even read it as there has been no reply since more than a month.

You don't think weather and lights on the ground at night are important? Those are my two biggies. Give me those and ATC and I will not ask for anything more.

Was a fix for this issue supposed to be in the last update, or incorporated in the next one? I noticed the problem of hi resolution scenery only "snapping" into view when you are almost on top of it yesterday with a newly created area I did of Norfolk/Va. Beach. Have not seen this before, hope it gets sorted out soon.

I had never noticed it until after the latest update either.

I think the easiest way around this for now is to make huge areas. Yesterday I created an area just to the south of my big geoconverted Austria area so I could fly from Graz to Innsbruck. Sadly the route follows the "seam" between the two areas, and small blocks of scenery only "snap" into higher resolution when you are a few miles from them.

I am going to spend today redoing the both areas as on giant area.

Oh well, it keeps me off the streets!

I have asked repeatedly if there was any way to selectively remove trees from the New York DLC and I have never gotten an answer that I can remember. :)

It is a subject close to my heart because I live near NYC and I would love to not only remove trees from the roads but the trees that cover my darn house!! I can see my neighbors' houses but mine is overgrown.

The whole "patience" strategy is getting a little thin. Asking human beings not to ask questions or speculate is frankly a little bizarre.

This isn't a free or even a cheap add-on, just as FS 2 is neither free or inexpensive. It isn't rude or unnatural to want to know what is going on.

No one expects miracles, but it isn't asking too much to want to be informed.

I don't have crash problems, but I'm sure that many users do. As you know, I'm not alone on the black areas problem, and some folks who don't use the Helper get them. So I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Maybe I posted this question in the wrong area yesterday because I never got a response, so here I go again. Does the new Geoconvert address the black scenery areas that were created in previous versions, or is this just for memory management issues and the blurry areas?

Thanks,

Bill

That is wonderful news!

In your next update, could you give us a more detailed description of how the ATC is coming along? I think that has been the main upgrade that the the core programmers have been working on for nearly a year, and it would be nice to know how that is going. What is finished? What are they struggling with? How far along are they? What are the special challenges with creating such a complex system?

And please please please don't add "be patient". We are a VERY patient group and we will wait as long as it takes! I am not asking anyone to rush anything. I would just like to an update with a few details on this subject.

P.S. Will better weather or night lighting be coming our way within the next twelve months? I am actually more eager for those than I am for ATC, but you have made it clear that ATC will come first.

Bill