Posts by frui

GeoConverter is great, and it can be made better.

Now that we are going to see more and more sceneries, I think we really should have an option to set the priority of different scenery to be shown. It can solve a lot problems.

This is especially important if we made a high resolution scenery which overlaps the existing DLC or default scenery. If we can set the priority, we can choose which scenery to be shown in the overlapping area. This might even solve the current abnormal stripes showing around the GeoConverter scenery.

This is also handy for scenery management. If we made a high resolution scenery within the existing DLC or default scenery, we can easily decide whether to let it be shown or not.

All other mainstream flight sims have this scenery priority setting. For FSX it is scenery.cfg. For X-plane, it is scenery_packs.ini. It's a simple txt file with some lines like:

user_scenery1

user_scenery2

commercial_dlc

default_scenery

And users can easily adjust the order of these sceneries. The more on top, the more first to be shown. If you delete the line, the scenery will not be shown.

You are right. With level 14 only, I can't see the HD texture in the location map, but I can still see the default low resolution texture.

I am experimenting with only level 14. I found that the HD texture is gradually shown when the plane is getting closer to the ground. Once the HD texture is shown, it will be there, whatever the height of the plane. And when you fly back, the HD texture is still there. Of course when you restart the program, you will have to fly low to see it again.

So there might be a way for the HD texture of only one level to be shown at all height and any time? Maybe it needs a lot of computer memory?

No, in FSX/P3D, we have also LOD levels (MIP mapping). Due to them there is sometimes blurriness...

Note that with level 14 only, you never see your textures in the "location" display. Not very convenient to check your coverage consistency...

I've not tested yet until which altitude you keep seeing your level 14 textures when flying...

Cheers

Antoine

I am making some progress.

I found that if I only keep level 14. The stripes are gone!

If I add any of the level 9, 11, 12, 13, the stripes are back. Yes I tested each level one by one. Let me emphasize again that the stripes appear NOT in the GeoConverter scenery, but outside it.

Well this seems to partially solve the problem, but with only level 14, the high resolution ground texture is only shown when the plane is flying very low. (But sometimes the HD texture is also shown when the plane is flying high. I simply can't quite understand how this "level" works.)

Can we make the solution simpler by just using one level, and let it be shown at any height? I think all other flight sims, such as FSX, just use one level, and they probably do this with a reason.

Two photos with only level 14 in the same location as in my first post for comparison:

I don't think this is because GeoConvert is feed with input aerial images it is not interpreting right, because the stripes do not appear in the Geoconverter created area, but they appears in the DLC area. The coordinate in my TMC file is 7.00 46.00, 8.00 45.50.

I just created a Chicago scenery overlapping the Orbx KCGX DLC, and it has the same stripes in the location map, and a long blank belt outside the GeoConverter content.

You can clearly see three areas:

In the right: the content I created with GeoConverter. This is on top of Orbx KCGX DLC, but it has no problem and looks great.

In the left: Orbx KCGX DLC, no problem. Not overlapping GeoConverter content.

In the middle: Orbx KCGX DLC, a long blank belt (very low resolution). Not overlapping GeoConverter content.

Please be noted that it is not the GeoConverter content that has stripes, but the DLC area that is immediately outside it. Outside this abnormal area, it is normal again, and it is still DLC area.

The coordinates of my GeoConverter Chicago scenery: -88.00 42.00, -87.33.45.33

Map download service: Bing

Resolution: 1

The stripes are not a conflict with the existing DLC. It rather looks like GeoConvert is feed with input aerial images it is not interpreting right. If you could provide more details here regarding your input images, this would help.

As far as overlap with existing DLC content goes: This is something that we haven't addressed yet as there is no real solution to it if you think about it a little, but we will see what we might do here in the future to improve it.

Here is the FSET map compared with the Swiss DLC.

You can see the Geoconverter scenery overlaps with the Swiss DLC, but the stripes do not appear in the overlapping area or the Geoconverter scenery area that the Swiss DLC does not cover, but they appear in the Swiss DLC area that the Geoconverter scenery area does not cover.

I made a scenery around Aosta of Italy, which is just south of Matterhorn, and adjacent to the Swiss DLC. The Geoconverter scenery looks great, but the adjacent Swill DLC becomes striped like a zebra. The stripes appear from cockpit and in the map.

I downloaded from both the G and the B map services, and problem exists in both.

I also tried different download resolution 0(50cm, and 1(1m), and the problem exists in both.

The coordinates: 7.00 46.00, 8.00 45.50

Level: 9, 11, 12, 13

My Geoconverter scenery overlaps with Swiss DLC. I think this is the reason that causes the problem. But this needs to be addressed to, because we can't avoid overlapping with the existing DLC in the future.

Looking forward to the solution. Thank you in advance.

Progress:

The conversion of the 50cm 36GB BMP files went through, when I just keep level 14 and deleted other levels in the TMC file. But when put into AFS2 user scenery folder to start, it's not shown. The sim still used the default senery.

I then deleted only level 9, and kept level 11-14. The conversion succeeded. This time it was shown when the sim started.

So I am still confused how this "level" works. Is a certain level (level 9?) absolutely necessary? Why does it not work if I only had level 14, since it's the level of the highest detail? Can the sim use level 14 on the ground, at 1000 feet, 5000 feet, 10000 feet, and other altitude? I think FSX work this way using only one level for all altitude.

I am trying to make a Italian Alps scenery with GeoConverter.

Coordinate: N46.00 E7.00, n45.50 E8.00.

Download resolution: 0 (0.5m)

Size of BMP files made with FSET: 36GB

Computer memory: 16GB

When I ran GeoConverter, it crashed in the middle of the conversion, and reported running out of memory.

I reduced the level from 14 to 10, but it still crashes.

Then I downloaded the BMP files with resolution 1 (1m) for the same coordinate. The download size is 9GB. And GeoConverter succeeded!

So what's the limit of the scenery size? Is it the same limit for different download resolution? Say the limit is 10GB downloaded BMP files, regardless whether it's 05m or 1m resolution?

I had the similar problem with Hartman and Asheroo with nothing in the image folder. Then I found out I have to put the right mark before the coordinates. For longitude west and altitude south, there should be "-" before the number. Thus the problem is solved.

It's much easier to use the inf2tfw application to convert the inf files you have to tfw. When you have your image files and inf files from FSET, just drop them into the 'input_aerial_images' folder then run the inf2tfw application pointing it to that folder. Once the application converts the inf files to tfw and you have your TMC file completed, just run the geoconvert tool per the instructions. It should run correctly for you.

Even though the tutorial is detailed, there are really only a couple of core steps needed to get your scenery.

Got it. Thank you!

Hi Rodeo, I am still confused. Is inf2tfw and tfw necessary? If not, how can I get image Area_...INF files? Just rename the AreaFSInfo--INF to Area_...INF? Thank you!

That's great! Thank you Rodeo!