Posts by TomC RLG

You probably need to do a bit more research. Google and searching YouTube will give you lots of useful info. Personally I suggest you consider an Oculus Rift S. It is a lot cheaper than a Vive Pro headset and much easier to setup. Buy it from Amazon or direct from the Oculus store. Oculus support is reported to be a lot better than HTC.

Your $'s so your choice!

You really just need to try everything and see what you like best imho. In my case, since I fly VR (Oculus Rift) most of the time I'm limited to the 4D fields.

My favorite flying field is Norrison Island because it's massive and has lots of places/things to explore. My favourite heli is the Goblin 700 and my favourite plane is the Cap 232.

After you play around with RC8 maybe you will share your favourites. Good luck and cheers.

With the latest RC8 update you should not need to remove your controller batteries.

Best way to startup rc8 is to exit the Oculus desktop app, use your pc desktop shortcut for rc8 in VR. This will automatically launch your Oculus App, then it will load rc8 scenery and aircract, then it will show the Start screen. Put your headset back on and use your keyboard space bar to center it's view. Then use your mouse and select start.

Once you have this working you should then be able to select rc8 from your Oculus apps panel. If you have problems, go back to the previous methiod. Also, make sure you have selected Unknown Sources on the top of the Settings/General tab. This is required for apps not bought from the Oculus Store.

If you are having further problems then you may need to contact both rc8 support and Oculus support to get them to help you further. Good luck.

Vulkan continues to work very well for me in VR. I wonder if there is a way to spread out my i9 9900k's cores usage in order to further improve performance so I can take setting a bit higher and still maintain 90fps everywhere? I'm not sure but I think I have seen a few Vulkan apps that allow you to do this within their config file. Thanks.

It's probably a personal thing but in VR with OpenGL I've found the best RC8 graphics setting to be medium (actually low for trees, high for shadows) and it's VR rendering at 1.5 (basically SS = AA for VR). This always gives me a solid 90fps with my Oculus Rift cv1 in all 4D scenery and looks great to me.

Same setting so far with Vulcan enabled looks a little better and ~ the same solid 90fps in VR. I will try increasing graphics in stages and see if I can hit CTD. I have a new desktop PC with an i9 9900k, gtx1080ti, and 32gb 3000mhz ram so I probably have a little more headroom to play with.

Using driver 431.60 here (in both setups). Certainly, if I reduce the graphic settings to medium, I avoid the CTDs, but not sure if with this I'll loose all the visual quality improvements that apparently come out from using Vulkan instead of OpenGL (mainly high quality AA).

Cheers, Ed

OK, I now have tried all different graphics setting and VR settings with Vulkan and I never got a crash to desktop (CTD). This was running both VR and non-VR.

What I did find was that Ultra settings did drop my VR fps below 90fps in some areas. Fine with High settings but for me the high settings for water and tree density did not add anything significant to me.

So now,with Vulkan I have settled on high textures, high shadows, low tree density, and medium water. I also increased rendering scale ratio (SS) to 1.6. This gives me a solid 90fps in VR everywhere and RC8 VR looks fantastic.

One tip that I got from an Oculus Rift Developer a while back that might help those who get the odd CTD is to increase your windows 10 pagefile size. Only do this if you have a fast SSD drive btw. Set the minimum to your gpu's Vram (11000 mb in my case) and maximum to 2000 mb above this (13000 mb in my case). I'm not really sure how or why this works but since I've done this all my VR sims are a lot more stable.

For me, it produces CTDs when using it in very populated areas and medium-to-high complexity airports. That happens on my two setups (desktop and gaming laptop). I reverted both back to OpenGL and all is Ok now.

Cheers, Ed

CTD's (crash to desktop) with Vulkan apps is often caused by running out of GPU memory. Maybe try lower graphics settings. I actually find medium settings work best for me, esp. with VR. Also helps if your nvidia drivers are up to date. I'm currently using nvidia driver 431.36.

Are you using Vulkan in any other apps like Aerofly FS2 or Doom?

I just flew completely around Norrison Island including touch and goes at all it's airports without any problems. While I don't see a huge improvement with Vulkan it does seem to improve the image quality/clarity a bit, esp. water image quality.

I plan to stick with Vulkan for now and will report back if I get any system stability issues.

To everybody trying the new Vulkan mode -> Don't do it, it's just not ready for production use yet. Of course, if you feel bored, go ahead and give it a try :)

I must have been a little bored today, lol!

I activated Vilkan (see post #3 above) and it worked great in both VR and non-VR modes. I think it slightly improves the clarity of everything but maybe this is just a placebo effect. I have not noticed any downside to using it so I think I'll stick with it for a while.

Yes, this is possible, you need to repeat the activation however.

Ya I just needed to download, install, and activate it with my code. Also, it then prompted me to update to the latest version 8.0033.01. This update helps a lot for us Rift users since the touch controllers do not seem to cause as much interferrence. Still best to startup from either the rc8 desktop shortcut and only place the goggles on once the Start screen appears. Thanks, great effort rc8 suport.

Ya, even with my Rift cv1 RC8 needs to be started before you have started up from the desktop shortcut before your Oculus App has been started up.

Sometimes after you've used your Occulus app you can get around this by going into task manager services and turn off ovrservices, wait ~ 10 seconds then turn it on again. Then either exit your Oculus App and use the desktop shortcut and/or try starting it up with your Oculus Desktop App library.

Like the Rift S, removing the touch controllers batteries also fixes this completely,

BTW, you need to keep your headset off your face until you get the rc8 start up screen on your monitor, then put your headset on and press the space bar to centre your view. Works fine after that. A bit of a pita but worth it because RC8 is sooo good in VR!

Hopefully this will get fixed in the near future.

I tried this sim from Steam ~ 1 year ago with my Oculus Rift cv1 but I was not happy with it and I ended up getting a refund. My main complaints were no heli's (which I love to fly) and I found it difficult to change locations. I also found it a bit difficult to setup my HOTAS. The 90fps was nice/smooth but at the time my XP11 at 45fps (with ASW disabled) seemed to offer smoother flights and better physics, and much better ground textures with my gtx 1080ti. Actually, the latest XP11.35 seems to still work very well for me.

So, one year later, do you think it's worth trying this again and why? Thanks.

BTW, I luv the current Aerofly RC8 in VR. My favourite RC flight sim right now. Good support and frequent, useful updates. No RC8 Vulkan support yet but apparently it's coming soon.

Your welcome mate. The problem happens any time the touch controllers are either on or on standby. They need to be OFF or RC8 in VR crashes. This is also starting to be more of a problem with my original Rift cv1 as well because Oculus updates now have a very large delay before they go from standby to Off. The new Rift S goes into standby but never actually turns OFF until you shutdown your PC, disconnect your headset, and/or disable OculusRuntime services.

RC8 is the only app I have that needs to have touch controllers OFF. Other apps that do not need the controllers (eg. RF8) are able to disregard them. Hopefully RC8 developers will be able to figure a way to do this as well in the near future.

Pretty sure it is a Steam-Thing. I have had the same with an number of Steam games that give the option to use Oculus Rift VR. Like hiflyer said, if you just plow through and hit ok it seems to work fine. It def ends up using Oculus VR, not SteamVR. I never got this message when running a game that must use SteamVR btw.

I just got my nice new Oculus Rift-S today. It all setup fine and I am not having any problems with any games/apps except with RC8 in VR. It sometimes starts up but if I try to access the menu or re-centre the view RC8 crashes. Please see attached my last log file.

tm.log

Edit; I have found a temporary workaround. I need to take the batteries out of the Rift-S touch controllers then RC8 starts up and works fine in VR. This is a bit of a nuisance but it will have to do until there is a proper fix.