Posts by TomC RLG

Nach der manuellen Neuinstallation und diesem 17er Update bekomme ich irgendwelche Infos unten angezeigt. Kann mir bitte jemand sagen, wie ich diese wieder ausschalte?

I think there is a small bug in the current 8.00.17.01 update. No pressing a few keys or editing the base config file will permanently fix this problem imho.

If you have previously selected to show your FPS on your screen during your last flight and then exit RC8 when you startup again you will see those 2 lines at the bottom of the start screen. You will also see them on your screen when you start your flight. These do not effect performance. They just add unnecessary clutter to the bottom of your screen.

The simple workaround I have found that works for me is to disable show FPS prior to going back to the main menu, then exit. When you startup again those lines will not be present in your statup screen, nor will they show up on your screen while flying. You can enable show FPS again while you are flying and those 2 lines will not show up, just your FPS, as per normal. You then just need to remember to disable show FPS before you stop your flight and before you go back to the main menu.

For now I will just avoid showing FPS since I now have settings that work very well and it's one less thing to remember to do. I would only turn them on again if I wanted to change settings in order to see the effect of these changes.

Otherwise, the latest public update seems to work pretty well (VR and non-VR). Since I had already got caught by the previous beta updates I knew enough to know I just needed to uninstall, reinstall, then update. Took me less than 5 minutes to do so no big deal imho. I'm still really enjoying RC8. Thanks Ikarus team!

Edit; Sorry, I forgot to mention that this problem only happens in non-VR (flat screen). I does not appear at all in VR mode. So since +90% of my RC8 is flown VR it's not much an issue for me, lol!

I just went through the same problem and had already installed the same beta. You need to uninstall rc8 using control panel program and features. Then reinstall rc8. Then run the latest update and this should update and work fine.

If I record a flight of the MD-11 in a non-standard scheme and then replay it, it replays in the default scheme. Same with F-16. If I record F-16 in the Dutch scheme, it replays in the US scheme. Small thing but would be good if it was fixed. Cheers Dom (Essentia RC YouTube channel)

Probably a typo but you are Essential, not Essentia right? I really like your YT vids btw.

Not all sceneries have been modelled with different ground materials. We might add this in the future to those places.

OK, that's what I thought. I guess it may be a bit more difficult to model this with the 4D fields because most of them cover very large areas. I'm mainly flying VR in these 4D fields with 3D planes and Heli's so differences in ground materials is not very important to me right now anyway. It still would be good to have these in the future though.

Thanks for your reply and thanks to the developers for a great RC sim which I'm sure will continue to get better and better!

Yep, it works fine. The plane shakes and slows down when rolling on grass and it crashes/flips in the hay. I only tested it on scenery Hawk Field and Rottenburg so far.

Thanks for your reply Georgx. I reinstalled 13.01 and tried this again. I can now see the plane shake and slow down in grass, and crash/flip in the hay in the Rottenburg field using a monitor (non-VR).

Unfortunately this does not happen with any of the 4D fields. Planes in these fields continue to roll like they are on Asphalt. I mainly only fly RC8 in VR with my Oculus Rift so the non-VR fields are useless to me because VR currently only works in 4D fields. Hopefully Ikarus can bring these 13.01 improvements to the 4D fields in the near future.

Hi,

die von mir gemeldeten Sachen scheinen erledigt zu sein. Danke!

Gruß

Georg

Did you really notice any difference rolling on grass or any bumpy surfaces versus asphalt this this 13.01 beta update? I did not see any differences. Likewise, I do not see any transition when taxiing from an asphalt runway to grass, or grass to runway. It does not seem to me that ground textures are recognised by RC8. Were these the same with RC7? Thanks.

Da war noch ein kleiner Fehler, wodurch Segler durch den Boden sinken. Hier gibt es nochmals ein Beta Update:

Aerofly RC 8 V8.00.13.01 Beta

In English: This update has beta status. It fixes the issue that airplane roll like on Asphalt even if they are actually on gras. This issue has been addressed in this update. Keep in mind, it is still BETA!

OK, I tried this beta update. As you already mentioned I needed to uninstall then reinstall in order to run this update. I tried quite a few fields, including 4D fields (which I normally fly). Planes seem to follow contours fine but I do not see any differences when going from asphalt to grass. Even areas with furrows seem to taxi like they are on asphalt. So, this update does not seem to recognise ground textures. Otherwise, it seems to run ok. Here is my latest log file;

tm.log

Danke für den Hinweis. Wir haben das nun korrigiert. Hier gibt es ein Update zum selber testen:

Aerofly RC 8 Update V8.00.11.01

Eine Rückmeldung wäre nett.

Do you have a list of changes with this update v8.0011.01 ? Thanks. I did try it but I'm not sure what it is supposed to address. Seemed to work fine for all the aircraft I fly. I see that this update is not on your rc8 update page yet so I guess it is still beta. Should I roll this back? Thanks.

https://www.ikarus.net/en/rc8-update/

Edit; I just tried to roll this back but it would not let me do this because it says I have a newer version so it quits the installation. hopefully the next official update will be numbered higher than this one, lol!

The 'rescale' feature of Aerofly RC 7 and RC 8 is extremely complex as it modifies our underlying physics parameters. Some parameters ( if adjusted in the wrong way ) will cause the model to crash instantly. So as a general rule, making a model smaller will 'mostly' work to a certain degree, but some models just don't like to be rescaled due to the critical parameters.

Thanks for this reply and explanation. I understand and accept this. I normally only use the scaling to increase the top bar scale size (which automatically increases its weight) in order to better see aircraft, esp. in VR. Thanks again.

If change size or weight of some models to too small, there is instant crash. Like Merlin and Junior S.

Ya, if you lower the Melin's size below ~75% on the scale bar (which automatically lowers its total scale weight then it crashes before take off (the plane, not the program). The Merlin is already a pretty small model anyway.

The Junior S is fine down to 50% scale size (which again auto-adjusts scale weight). But if you lower its weight on top of this below ~75% it crashes (wings break off?).

Probably something to do with the model's design not working quite right when these are taken below a certain limit. I wonder if this also happens with RC7?

Not something that bothers me since I do not fly those e-glider models but if it is important to you I think you should let RC8 support know about it. Hopefully they can sort it out in a future RC8 update.

That is probably because you have never try a real glider towing ;)

Glider towing is an important and relatively technical phase of flight as soon as there is some wind and turbulence. Can you imagine a plane simulator that doesn’t offer a take-off ? it’s just unthinkable, why it would be different with a glider ?

I can accept that it's complicate to implément or that does not interest a lot of people, but not that towing isn't necessary to have a good glider simulation.

Actually I have, including winch launches and paragliding. Nothing in a RC Sim helps much and these are probably the most boring things I have ever done. Discus launch RC gliders are a close second, lol! This is obviously important to you so I respect your opinion though. Thanks.

I think that this has been a long time issue with RC7 as well. Same thing with other sims other than RF. Have a read of this thread. It has a good tip on setting switches so you do not have to rock them back/forth to activate them.

Will aerofly RC7 work with a Realflight Interlink Elite controller?

I think that this is a problem because the RF interlink controller trims do not show up in the Windows joystick device properties. They do apparently output some kind of usb signal but right now only RF seems to be able to use them. Same goes for a few other buttons on the interlink like menu/cancel/select.

This is not an issue for me since as long as the controller has been properly calibrated all RC8 aircraft seem to be very well trimmed. I guess if you found a problem with a particular aircraft you could maybe try editing that model's servo travels/positions.

Still, it would be nice if we could access these. Also, it would be nice to be able to invert button selections on some functions like normal/acro for heli's.

The bottom line is that VR only really works well with RC8 4D flying fields. This is OK with me since many of these fields are both expansive and interesting. I currently only fly RC8 in VR and am loving it!

Update 26/01/2019

OK, the latest Aerofly RC8 8,00.07.01 update is now out there. Please check your update tab on your RC8 start up window, go to the webpage, and run the update.

My Oculus Rift now starts up in VR perfectly by just opening the RC8 VR shortcut, letting it open the Oculus app, putting on your headset, then hitting the space bar to centre the VR view. It now recognises RC8 as Win10, not win8. Also, it now seems to remember my full screen option (1920x1080) and screen option showing non-native as opposed to split screen. Thanks RC8 dev guys! This is a great VR RC sim for sure imho.

The only things I think worth mentioning is that if you have already used your Oculus Rift on another VR app (esp. with touch controllers) then you may need to exit the Oculus PC app and either go to your task manager/services and stop/start Ovr runtime services and/or restart your PC. No real big deal but it would be nice if you could start up RC8 from the Oculus Home 2.0 App pane like other non-Oculus apps. If you try to do this it will crash.

The only other Oculus Rift tip I can give you for now to slightly improve RC8 performance is to disable the Oculus ASW. You can do this by simply hitting the ctrl+num1 keys while you pause (P) RC8. This is the numeric 1, not the top row 1 btw. Really does not make a lot of diff imho.

I have played with an number of different Graphics options and your results may vary depending on your hardware. I have found that Graphics quality medium, changed vr scale (SS?) to 1.5, then changed to custom shadows to ultimate work best for me with my Oculus Rift in VR.