Posts by TomC RLG

Logged into flight-sim dot org I can download the pdf file but when I try to download the larger zip files I get the message that You have reached your monthly traffic limit and this just sends me back to the previous page. I have tried signing out then in again but this does not seem to help. I also tried clearing my cache but this did not help either. I have an unlimited internet plan so I don't think that the problem is at my end. I downloaded some large files from Steam earlier no problem. Too bad, I've really been looking forward to this. ;(

Oh well, at least both af fs2 and af rc8 with Vulkan both work best with my Vive Pro anyway. My Vive Pro w/Etsy Gear VR lens mod and Index controllers is my main ride with all my flight/racing sims. Thanks to the Index controllers, it's starting to be my main ride with everything else except Oculus store apps (don't like Revive). I still enjoy my Q1 and Q2 for standalone mobile VR, media viewing, and Oculus store apps w/Link and wireless w/VD and Air Link. Nice to have options.

I just got a nice new Oculus Quest 2 yesterday and tested Oculus's new/experimental wireless Air Link option. Actually works pretty well imho. The only problem I had running Aerofly FS2 (Steam version w/Vulkan rendering) was that I needed to run this in SteamVR mode for good results. Running it in Oculus mode gave terrible stutters, esp. with any head movement. With SteamVR the results were surprisingly very good. Pretty well the same as I get wireless w/Virtual Desktop (which also needs to run this and xp11 in SteamVR mode).

I'm not sure if this problem is due to the Oculus sdk not playing well with Vulkan or AF FS2 Vulkan rendering. Since I did not have any problems running xp11 in Vulkan I suspect some of the blame may rest with AF FS2.

I just thought I'd mention this for those trying the Q2 with Air Link. Cheers. :)

Also, you were initially asking for a low budget headset, where Quest 2 is king. If you finally spend plenty of money, consider the HP Reverb G2 which is a superior choice, in particular in terms of text/gauges/control screen readability.

G2 is only a good choice if you only use flight sims with flight sticks. Otherwise the G2 inside-out controller tracking is pretty so-so imho. Bought and returned for a refund btw. I think my oled Vive Pro w/etsy gear vr lens mod with index controllers and valve 2.0 base stations is overall a much better PCVR setup, albeit much more expensive. I also have the Vive wireless adapter that works great for all VR games, but not so good for flight sims because it's too much of a cpu resource hog, even with my i9 9900k at 5Ghz oc and water cooled, lol! Best wireless is still Quest 1/2 w/Virtual Desktop imho.

I'd recommend getting a rtx3070 or better. RC8 is pretty demanding in VR imho. I even need to limit some settings with my rtx3090, lol! Also, since rtx3000 series gpu's are just about impossible to get right now you may have better luck trying to source a pre-built gaming PC. In the meantime your 1060 should work ok on low graphics settings as long as it's the 6Gb version (not the 3Gb version).

hello,

Now that some people have taken a step back from using a virtual headset in Aerofly RC8, I would like to hear your thoughts on my PC.

is it sufficient?

if so, which virtual headset (make and model) do you recommend?

my config:
    Windows 10 64bits | iCore7 860 | DDR3 8go | EVGA GTX 1060 nvidia | SSD 256go

Thank you

Sorry but I don't know anyone with a decent gaming pc that has stepped back from VR with rc8. However, many with Oculus headsets have stepped back from VR with RealFlight 9.5 because of the terrible washed out colours and poor resolution. RF 9.5 looks ok with my expensive Vive Pro but in any case, rc8 looks sooo much better in VR imho.

Your pc (hopefully a desktop, not a laptop) is pretty weak for good PCVR imho. Might work with low graphics settings though. For VR newbies I recommend getting an Oculus Quest 2. This is a very versatile VR headset and can do mobile VR and PCVR with a Link cable (I recommend and use the Oculus official link cable). Just be aware that you will need Oculus and Facebook accounts and these will need to be linked together. No big deal unless you post stupid things on FB or try to use a false identity and get banned. The only current issue I've found using a Q1 or Q2 with RC8 is that it's better to use the OpenGL default graphics settings. No big difference in rc8 anyway imho. Works fine with fs2 Vulkan though.

Hello Tom, thank you very much for the many tips. I will test everything.

I forgot to say I have an Oculus Rift s. I've already tested some settings, but the clarity could really be better.

You have tested Vive Pro? You think Vive are better?

Which VR glasses would you recommend for the today for RC8?, there are many new ones on the market.

Thanks

I think your Oculus Rift S should be fine for some time to come. I have used one and properly setup it works well with most pcvr games and sims. I also have an Oculus Quest 1 (and had the newer Quest 2, before returning it). Neither of these work as well as a Rift S or Rift cv1 with rc8 imho. If you have a Rift S please learn to use the free Oculus Tray Tool (OTT). Google it for more info. I find this very useful in order to help get the best out of any Oculus headset. There is a good manual included with OTT so you need to give it a good read.

Once you find the amount of SS your pc can handle (= still being able to maintain 80fps in your case), if you want more you'll need to buy a better gpu (maybe a rtx3070 or better). Unfortunately, new gpu's are expensive and hard to find right now. I paid a small fortune for my new rtx3090, lol! I still think you should get pretty good results with your rtx2060, esp. if you take the time and effort to get the best out of it.

As much as I love using my Vive Pro with all my sims, including rc8, it cost me a lot of $'s so I probably would not recommend it to most users. For example, just the Index controllers cost me more than a new Rift S, lol! Also, I don't think that Vive support is as good as Oculus support. If I were you I'd hold off buying any new pcvr headsets until we get true Gen2's, maybe in 2022. If you feel the need to spend $'s, maybe think about investing in a a better gaming PC, or at least upgrade a few bits of your current pc. Also, learning how to get the best out of what you have is free and is the most worthwhile thing you can do right now imho. Good luck and cheers.

Do not use these nvidia control panel setting. The best thing is to use all defaults. You may want to try changing the power option to prefer maximum performance, that's all. If you have an integrated gpu besides your dedicated nvidia gpu there is also a top line you should use to prefer using the nvidia gpu.

I've found that to improve the overall visual clarity in VR with RC8 it's best to select high (not Ultra) graphics setting for everything except shadows = low and water = medium. Leave the VR setting for rendering top slider at 1.0. You can also try the main menu graphics set to Vulkan and high AA but not all VR headsets and/or gpu's seem happy with this and may crash. If that is the case go back to OpenGL. I also find it best with rc8 settings to get rid of lens flare and do not use any frame limits (= off). I also use one of the zoom features and move the slider over a little bit (+25-30%). This helps enlarge the model at a distance and makes it easier to see. You can also adjust most models scale to make them a little bigger (I normally restrict this to about 125% max).

Then, for the best clarity (which will depend on your PC hardware) you adjust super sampling within your headset's VR system (you do not say which one you use). With my Vive Pro I use SteamVR settings/video/by app and set this slider as high as I can. Start off with 100% and slowly increase this by 10% at a time until I cannot maintain FPS = to the headset's refresh rate (90Hz refresh so, 90FPS in my case). This should be the same for all SteamVR headsets like the Index and probably also WMR headsets. For Oculus headsets you need to use either the Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) or Oculus Debug Tool (ODT) and adjust the super sampling (SS) in a similar fashion starting off a 1.0 and slowly increasing this 0.1 at a time.

Important to note that every time you change SS you need to restart RC8 for these setting to take place. Your rtx2060 is not all that powerful for very good VR but you should still get pretty good results. If you are new to VR please do note expect the visuals to be as good as you get with a monitor. The main advantage with VR is its immersion. Good luck and cheers mate.

Maybe there could be an option to disable/enable it. Personally I do not have a problem as-is. I find it pretty easy to keep my index finger off and clear of the scroll wheel. Maybe it depends on the shape of your mouse, where the buttons are located, and the size of your hand/fingers?

Looks good but I'm not clear exactly what files I need to actually download to add Lake Placid and it's surrounds (I already have the NYC dlc and NYC autogen). Do I download the original Lake Placid download from Verserage then add all the files from IZOUB. Then where do I place these in my Document\aerofly fs2\ folder? Sorry but I'm still kinda new at importing user scenery. I did not have any problems with all the Hawaii Island and Apollo 50 scenery. These are all work great and add a lot to fs2, esp. in VR. Thanks.

Thanks Jan, clear as mud, lol!

Since everything seems to be working fine right now I think I'll just leave everything as is. A few seconds of faster loading time and better flight planning (which I do not use right now) is not worth it to me imho. Thanks anyway for your detailed explanation though mate. Cheers.

PHNL is in the database. If you use the user made scenery you should delete the PHNL entry in TSC in the buildings folder where it should not have been entered at all. And then edit the airport TSC file rename the PHNL1 to PHNL as it should be. Then the airport is much more visible on the location map since it is correctly identified.

Additionally you should move all scenery airports into a subfolder "airports".

The default user scenery does not do that, which slows Aerofly down at startup.

I always get a bit confused where to add user scenery (that includes airports) like Hawaii. I currently place them in my user/document/Aerofly FS2/addons/scenery Folder. Should I be making an airport folder in this addons folder and move things over to it? Thanks.

Hi Tomfa, Jan deleted my post too, I was being supportive and I think my quote of remarks from a different post which we all think were offensive, was behind the deletion. Your post had similar elements. I do not think Jan was being negative to either of us.

I can see how tiresome many very similar update enquiries must be for Jan, it must be hard to take the thankfully very rare comments that turn outright nasty. He makes very many helpful replies here for us at all hours and on major public holidays and during weekends.

Perhaps we can all recognise that real update information from Torsten or Jan only comes out close to the release time. I don't think moaning from us will change things.

Again in keeping with the original post;

I also love Aerofly FS2 and I think it's a great flight sim, especially in VR, which I mainly use. With new freeware animated scenery like Hawaii (parts 1-3) and other recent addons, including heli's, I think it is becoming a force to be reckoned with. With the original launch of fs2 I did not think it was very good btw. Hopefully more flight sim guys (esp. VR ones like me) will recognise how far fs2 has come and consider it in the near future. I have already converted (or perverted?) a few of my xp11 VR flight sim buddies.

I do not think that there is any 'perfect' flight sim out there right now. There will always be pros/cons.

I also use X Plane 11.52 Vulkan in VR and I think it works well. Maybe a little better in VR with float planes and night time landings, ha-ha!

With both sims I think that their heli's (which I love to fly) all work very well. Usage-wise I'm probably about 50:50 between both of these flight sims.

So far I have avoided MSFS 2020 mainly because it does not include any stock heli's (although there is a new user created one). The MS developer has said that stock heli's will not be available till 2022. Also, I have not seen any examples of good VR performance, even with very high end pc's. I have a pretty high end pc (i9 9900k/rtx3090) and I don't think I'm going to be happy in VR at 30fps max (seems to be the norm) with my 90Hz Vive Pro headset. For me, 45fps is the minimum I need for smooth/stutter-free flight sims, esp. with low level heli flying.

Aside; I've see very little constructive criticism in this thread and I think that the current banter (I said, you said...) is potentially going to confuse newbie flight simmers. Maybe it should be closed? I am not a mod so this is only a suggestion. Flame suit on, lol!

Aside #2; Aerofly RC8 is a very good Radio Controlled (RC) flight sim and I currently think that it is much better than RealFlight 9.5, esp. in VR. However, it does benefit a lot with the RealFlight Spektrum Interlink DX Controller. Actually I've found that this controller also works very well with Aerofly FS2 and xp11.

I don't think you can easily do this The sound files are tbs format and would need to produced with a sound editor, then tied back into the rc8 sound folder. Actually all the sounds in RC8 seem pretty good to me so this is not necessary for me anyway.