Posts by ApfelFlieger

Thanks for the links, then I can continue to create Seaplane Bases (Tip: in FS_ACT, I choose grass as the "natural" runway material and set the width to 0 m). I had forgotten that we already have seaplanes in FS4. For FS2 there are a few more beautiful seaplanes from krzysk . :)

As of now, it is also worthwhile to explore the Quatam River area with the FS4. :):

Unfortunately, seaplanes are still missing in FS4. :( But with helicopters and small manoeuvrable aircraft it is also a lot of fun. :) Be careful, not every landing site is safe :/ , there is a wreck somewhere on the runway ^^ and a grizzly is also on the way :P .

Thanks to IPACS for the TAP files, which make it possible to build airfields outside the FS AirportCreationTool, and to ZoSoChile for his FS2 scenery and the adaptations for FS4.😄

Wünsch

I have an tip for the site Aerofly FS Airport Creation Tool (Tips & Tricks)

There is a way to use runways technically without displaying them visually as artificial runways. This can be desirable if the images of an airfield are so beautiful that an artificial runway would interfere. Examples include grass runways and all runways on snow and water.

If a runway should not be visible, then the runway width must be set to 0 m. A choice of material is still necessary in this case, but is irrelevant.

admin and Jet-Pack (IPACS)

Is this the reason why there are duplicate airfields in FS4 in the original FS4 database?

In the Flight-Sim.org FAQs are examples of how to save users' AddOns:

(1) I have a Mac and save the images from Wales, for example, like this:

• /Users/[loginname]/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 4/scenery/images/eu/gb/…

(2) Others omit the subdivision by continent and save it that way:

• /Users/[loginname]/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 4/scenery/images/gb/…

(3) Still others save in the folder "addons", here care must be taken that there is first exactly one folder level with the country and then the division into the functions:

• /Users/[loginname]/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 4/addons/scenery/gb/images/…

I have tried all 3 ways and decided on (1) because this variant works best for me on the Mac with both FS2 and FS4.

I took a look at what the tm.log registers for the airports from the tool:

--------------------

(1) ERROR messages:

I have ERROR messages for these three airports.

Code
    2.42-tmsimulator: ERROR: (airport invalid icao='N14' tsc='/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 4/scenery/airports/act_airports_all/N14/N14.tsc')
    2.42-tmsimulator: ERROR: (airport invalid icao='S40' tsc='/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 4/scenery/airports/act_airports_all/S40/S40.tsc')
    2.42-tmsimulator: ERROR: (airport invalid icao='U70' tsc='/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 4/scenery/airports/act_airports_all/U70/U70.tsc')

FS4 also has a bug with an airfield:

Code
    2.80-tmsimulator: ERROR: (airport invalid icao='L05' tsc='scenery/airports/custom/us/l05/l05.tsc')

My question now is what can be automated in the tool to prevent errors from occurring, and what needs to be included in the instructions to avoid errors on the user side?

--------------------

(2) SKIPPING airports

I found the SKIPPING notice at three airfields:

Code
    2.72-tmsimulator: skipping duplicate place 'scenery/airports/be/ebbl/ebbl.tsc'. icao='EBBL' using '/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 4/scenery/airports/act_airports_all/EBBL/EBBL.tsc'
    2.72-tmsimulator: skipping duplicate place 'scenery/airports/be/ebkt/ebkt.tsc'. icao='EBKT' using '/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 4/scenery/airports/act_airports_all/EBKT/EBKT.tsc'
    2.72-tmsimulator: skipping duplicate place 'scenery/airports/be/ebos/ebos.tsc'. icao='EBOS' using '/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 4/scenery/airports/act_airports_all/EBOS/EBOS.tsc'

My question is whether FS4 automatically prefers user airports to FS4 airports, so that one does not have to delete existing airports in FS4 if one wants to create them oneself?

It is very different for cultivations outside airfields:

-- there are partly large areas with an automatic cultivation in FS4 like e.g. in Western Europe

-- as far as I know, there is not yet the SDK to convert the different cultivations of users

The triangles at the airfields are created when the surface of the airfields is not flat enough for the artificial asphalt surfaces to be fully visible over them.

The best remedy is to optimise the mesh network for the airfields, which will be done.

Alternatively, the asphalt surfaces can be hidden, but this only looks good if the images of the airfield are high-resolution, which again is not always the case with military airfields.

I'll see which airfields look good without artificial asphalt surfaces.

admin

Yesterday I found a simple way (see my contribution in this post) to export and convert the tap files of the airfields with a few clicks and make the result available again as a zip file in Flight-Sim.org to everyone (!). :/

Since the test is successful, I am creating a better page than the test page. :)

If there are any objections from IPACS to this, please let me know. Otherwise I would put the page online tomorrow. 8)

I have given some more thought to how the airfields from the FS AirportCreationTool can be made available to the general public for download.

My concrete suggestion is:

IPACS sets up a database where a zip file of the ICAO.zip pattern can be stored for each airfield, and this database is linked to the FS AirportCreationTool.

Then the process would be:

• IPACS and/or a small group of dedicated users (I would join) look up daily in the FS AirportCreationTool which airfields have been newly created or added.
    • their ICAO.tap files are downloaded and converted
    • the resulting ICAO.tmb-, ICAO.toc-, ICAO.tsc- and ICAO.wad-files as well as the ICAO.tap-file are compressed into an ICAO.zip-file
    • the ICAO.zip file is uploaded to the database
    • the menu in FS AirportCreationTool at each airport is extended by the item "Export airport", which automatically contains a link to an ICAO.zip file

Voila - that's it 8)

I have already tested whether the toc-files can be transferred to the tap-files :/ : Yes, it works in principle. :)

However, there are some boundary conditions that have to be taken into account:

• Designation of the individual data fields 8)
      - With FIND&REPLACE I have changed the FS2 designations into the FS4 designations.
    • Lower case of the xref objects:
      - With FIND&REPLACE (one after the other for a, b, c, ...) I changed all upper case letters into lower case letters. :)
      - If you don't do this, the FS AirportCrationTool shows every wrong spelling of an xref-object during import.
    • Orientation adjustment: ;(
      - This is the most time-consuming part, because no FIND&REPLACE can be used here, but you have to go through object by object. When converting, it should be noted:
      -- FS2 has its own orientation:
      ---- 0° is at 3 o'clock
      ---- counting counter-clockwise
      -- FS4, on the other hand, is "normal":
      ---- 0° is at 0 o'clock
      ---- clockwise counting

This results in:
      - if the FS2 orientation is in the range 0°-90°, the following applies:
      -- FS4° = 90° - FS2°
      - if the FS2 orientation is in the range 91°-359°,
      -- FS4° = 450-FS2°.

This can also be easily calculated in Excel with a small formula.