VR Driver from Steam is considerably worse than native Oculus driver - stuttering/jerky

• I normally fly FS2 in VR with the Oculus native driver and it is almost always amazingly smooth - just the best VR experience - 90 fps easily! However, I decided to try the Steam mode driver - wondering what we might see with the Pimax 8K X sometime next year. But I found a nearly unusable experience - very jerky and stuttery. I switched back to Oculus native mode and all is fine. Are any of you VR drivers seeing the same thing? BTW, I am using the Nvidia 385.41 driver.

Dave W.

Edited once, last by whitav8 (November 1, 2017 at 9:27 PM).

• I wonder how you switch between the two...? How do you know which driver you are using? Steam is always needed to use AFS2.

• @J van E, on my PC, when I start by using the overall Steam Control Panel (Store, Library, Community, ...), then choose from the left side under -VR an app (Aerofly FS2 or CAP2), then PLAY, I get a popup dialog that lists both Launch ... in Oculus VR mode or Steam VR mode.

Dave W.

• In Steam: upper right corner, click the Steam vr icon.

More than likely, you will see the "headset not ready" warning.

Pick up the headset and cover the sensor and the "headset not ready" warning will go away.

If you were not able to before, you will now be able to click on Steam VR beta and receive a dropdown with lots of various settings.

I'm not exactly sure, but I suspect some of these settings are affecting the FPS of Aerofly in Steam vr mode on an oculus.

It might be profitable to play around with them to see what happens.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I've used both on Rift. I have a motion platform and to use the motion cancellation addon i need to be in steam vr. Its definitely worse as it has to do extra work to convert steam/openvr to oculus sdk.