Help running the external dll sample solution

• Hello!

I downloaded the SDK tool and I've had problems trying to get the external dll sample project to run.

I followed the instructions in this thread. I opened the solution in Visual Studio 2017, changed the target to Windows 10 (I've tried several different targets), changed the debugging command and working directory to the location of my AFS2 .exe

When I try to run the DLL I get a Steam error.

I looked up this error and found the same error for other games but nothing specific to AFS2. They suggested things like running as administrator and restarting Steam but nothing has fixed the problem. I've also tried moving the location of the Steam install.

When I launch AFS2 either through Steam or directly from the .exe it works fine (but obviously no sample .dll)

Any ideas I can try to get this working?

Here's the output when I try to run:

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator\bin64\aerofly_fs_2.exe'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\win32u.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32full.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcp_win.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\sechost.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cfgmgr32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\SHCore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\combase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\bcryptprimitives.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\windows.storage.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\shlwapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel.appcore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\profapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\powrprof.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\fltLib.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\oleaut32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ws2_32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\setupapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator\bin64\steam_api64.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\IPHLPAPI.DLL'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator\bin64\openal32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\hid.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\XInput9_1_0.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dinput8.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\opengl32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator\bin64\Tobii.GameIntegration.dll'. Module was built without symbols.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winmm.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\crypt32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\glu32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msasn1.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winmmbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winmmbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winmmbase.dll'

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winmmbase.dll'

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imm32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\InputHost.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\WinTypes.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\CoreMessaging.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\CoreUIComponents.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntmarta.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\uxtheme.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msctf.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dwmapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'aerofly_fs_2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\TextInputFramework.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

The thread 0x466c has exited with code 84 (0x54).

The thread 0x4f28 has exited with code 84 (0x54).

The thread 0x4e6c has exited with code 84 (0x54).

The thread 0x4560 has exited with code 84 (0x54).

The thread 0x4b8 has exited with code 84 (0x54).

The thread 0x4990 has exited with code 84 (0x54).

The program '[18952] aerofly_fs_2.exe' has exited with code 84 (0x54).

• You can't execute the dll directly from visual studio. Just build the dll and then start aerofly like normal.

Edit: I just downloaded the sdk, opened the solution in visual studio, in the solution explorer: right click on the project, select properties, change windows SDK version to highest I had, left everything else like in the sdk, OK.

Clicked Build - Build Solution.

Then opened steam, started Aerofly from there and up comes a new window that shows all the messages being send to the external dll.

So I can confirm this still works!

Regards,

Jan

• Thank you! I realized what the problem was - I have my Windows Documents folder set to a separate folder and so AFS2 was looking in that folder for the dll but it was getting built into the default location for the Documents folder. After I checked that then it works great! Thanks for the help!