Oculus Quest 2 for AFS2

• Hello,

Just to let you know : Oculus Quest 2 with Link cable works like a dream for AFS2

It's a non expensive high quality VR device (350 € without Link cable)

Only these two advices : better install Runtime Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR and when starting in Steam don't choose Oculus, works better with "normal" AFS2 VR mode :

Kind regards

• Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR does nothing with the Oculus Quest 2. That's only applicable to WMR headsets like the HP G2. with msfs2020. I agree that starting up in SteamVR mode is still the way to go if you want to use Vulkan rendering.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

• Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR does nothing with the Oculus Quest 2

Sorry but I think you are wrong, OpenXR App inserts a key in W10 's register with this value :

And you can see it's active in Oculus Beta parameters :

OpenXR demo looks also (slightly) different according to the validated Runtime (WMR or Oculus - don't know for others -)

Anyway i just did mention it because it is better to use it for MSFS and obviously it does not harm AFS2

In fact all the sims tested with my Oculus Quest 2 work perfectly with this setting : AFS2, MSFS, P3D V5, Condor 2 and even FSX working like a dream at constant 72fps with the Flyinside software (32 Go RAM, CPUi7 8700k, GPU GTX 1070 Ti 8Go)

• Only these two advices : better install Runtime Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR and when starting in Steam don't choose Oculus, works better with "normal" AFS2 VR mode :

Kind regards

I'm just questioning you recommending that Windows Mixed Reality OpenVR be installed for Aerofly FS2. You do not need this with any VR headset and you do not need to use the WMR OpenXR with an Oculus headset. With the current v32 Oculus desktop app you just need to select OpenVR default on settings/beta tab. The only sim that currently utilises OpenXR is MSFS2020 and turning this on does not seem to have any effect with any of my other flight/racing sims.

The fact that there appears to be 3x versions of OpenVR also makes this a bit confusing right now; WMR OpenXR, Oculus OpenXR, and SteamVR (which is OpenXR compliant). Maybe it's use will become clearer in the future when more apps use OpenXR.

Anyway, no big deal. Maybe I'm just missing something that got lost in the translation, lol!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

Anyway, no big deal. Maybe I'm just missing something that got lost in the translation, lol!

Probably : my English is not so good :) I apologize

I f you mean AFS2 probably works the same without Oculus OpenXR runtime, I agree but as I am using three different simulators including MSFS, activation of OpenXR runtime for Oculus is is recommended at least for this last one : as it does not harm AFS2 keep it activated

Hello Toorop,

i have the same PC configuration . Please can you post your settings which you have in AFS2.

Yes of course :

For extremely heavy sceneries like France VFR 's Paris Ile de France with Airport Pack I use the settings just below and get 35 fps as minimum (but smooth) even with the heaviest parts of the scenery in view. Lowering graphic settings allowed me to increase pixel density to 1,2 (but visuals are quite good too with 1 like with the "Ultra" settings below and you can get more fps).

Obviously these 35 fps are a minimum (despite playable) but on lighter parts of the scenery you get much more

Strangest thing is that 35 fps was totally unplayable in the Rift but seems pretty smooth now with the Quest 2 : the same in MSFS (no explanation at the moment)

Note : fps in the Hud and in MSFS dev mode are the same but do not use tools like Fraps : they are measuring the mirror fps and some apps like Flyinside reduce the Mirror Refresh rate so you could get very low unrealistic fps with Fraps

So, for extremely heavy sceneries :

For more "normal" sceneries (included detailed ones with good cultivation) I get constant 72 fps with these settings :

For all kinds of sceneries :

Remember : always launch in VR mode (Aerofly FS2) like this :

- In Nvidia parameters you can use VSync "Disactivated" or "Fast" (no other one)

I_ n Nvidia parameters I suggest to keep Low Latency Mode "Disactivated" but you are allowed to try changing for "Activated" or "Ultra" : did not see any significant changes in Flight Simulation

Additional infos for Oculus settings : be conscient some settings may reset to default when restarting the App. Fortunately they are not the most significant ones and you can ignore them (just to let you know...) :)

• Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR does nothing with the Oculus Quest 2. That's only applicable to WMR headsets like the HP G2. with msfs2020. I agree that starting up in SteamVR mode is still the way to go if you want to use Vulkan rendering.

This is correct.

The Oculus OpenXR runtime files are already installed with the Oculus software, and AeroFly doesn’t even use OpenXR.

As for the registry key, that is just a pointer to the Oculus OpenXR files too. Note that they’re in the same folder where the rest of the Oculus software is installed.

You can create this registry key easily yourself by going to the Beta tab of the Oculus software and clicking the button that says to set Oculus as the OpenXR runtime. But again, this makes no difference for AeroFly because it doesn’t even use OpenXR.

There really is nothing special you need to do to use AeroFly with the Quest 2, except be aware that Vulkan has a bug with the native Oculus build, so if you want to use the Vulkan renderer, launch it with SteamVR as the runtime.

Lastly, the “fast” frame sync setting was a workaround for a bug that used to cause frame timing issues with Oculus Link and certain apps (XPlane and MSFS being two of them, but not AeroFly). It was finally fixed many months ago, and that setting no longer matters either, but it never mattered for AeroFly regardless.