TCA side stick drivers....?

• So far the *new* TM TCA side stick for PC/Xbox I just got is working wonderfully with FS4 (plug n" play). BUT...is it required to download and install the drivers for it anyway...? OR "If it's not broken", "don't break it" and leave it as is...? :/

• (It is still early morning in Europe, the answer rate over here might be somewhat slow. ;) )

I for one shy away from extra drivers. Windows has all the software on board to make all regular peripherals work, and most often the drivers supplied by the manufacturer only add clutter I don't really need.

So all my CH and Saitek stuff runs on regular Windows-supplied drivers, and as of yet I didn't have any issues with any simulator (DCS, ASF2/4, XP, Battle of Bodenplatte) or other game.

So: if every buttons and axis on your peripheral works, you might not need the extra driver.

• (It is still early morning in Europe, the answer rate over here might be somewhat slow. ;) )

Oooops !, My bad.

In a word though, your response has confirmed my suspicions that it seems most of the Aero fly users are from Europe and the like. I had a feeling. I'm on the cusp of using Aero fly 100% of the time instead of 95%. MSFS is really starting to rub me the wrong way, eye candy be dammed. I'm sure everyone can empathize with that, need I say more. :rolleyes:

Agreed with not installing the "manufacturer" drivers, I'll leave it as is. Could cause more grief. ;)

Thank you "Armitage" and "TomB"

• It depends.
    On MSFS it is always a good idea to have the updated drivers installed from the Thrustmaster support website.
    On AF FS 4, the simulator can apply the default settings even using the Microsoft Windows drivers.

Particularly, I thing it is a good idea to install the Thrustmaster driver, why not? It is so simple to do.

• I think it is a good idea to install the Thrustmaster driver, why not..? It is so simple to do.

Ya, I can't agree on that. As I said above "if its not broke", "I'm not gonna break it". I wasn't sure, that's why I asked here on the forum if it was warranted or needed at first and from past experience, updating drivers isn't always a safe bet. Things can go wrong real fast. No need to listen to the manufacturer claims sometimes that "You need these drivers". Its working and that's what matters most.

Edited once, last by douglas55 (January 11, 2023 at 7:37 PM).

• Just suggesting. On MSFS you will not have it working properly without the manufacturer driver.

Some joysticks can have a better behavior on axis and smaller dead zones. In case of the TCA quadrant (which is not your case I know), this improves the synchronisation of the two throttle levers and only with the driver instaled you can have the virtual buttons working. If I remember, it is necessary on AF FS 4 as well (for the quadrant).
    If you have any malfunction playing another game, first thing the device support will ask you is to install the driver.

But, of course, If it is working fine for you on AF FS 4 and you only fly on AF, perfect!

• At this moment AF FS 4 is my preferred too. Nothing works properly in the "other side of the force". :D

Agreed, I've never seen a forum like they have so full of bug issues and constant unhappiness, and constant frustration by users. Why do these people stay with it...? Why does the developer make people go through the frustration with a bug issue till they come up with a fix one month later. ASOBO really has to go over to IPACS for some serious re-training. They're obviously no doing it properly. They just can't get it right. I see it this way, it's like trying to squeeze too much down the pipe and expect it all to work and you get nothing but constant conflicts and issues because of it.

Here at IPACS, they are on it as soon as it develops and we don't have to wait very long (usually within 24hrs) or less and its fixed.

There are (4) main reasons I love FS4:

1). Issues are fixed right away

2). SIM loads in less than a minute

3). Realistic aircraft flight modelling (aircraft feel)

4). It just works flawlessly

There are other reasons for me too but the above is the main selling points for me.