Tree Lines Alps

• admin

I love to fly in Switzerland and especially in the Alps. One thing that bothers me, however, is trees in high alpine glacier country. The picture shows a shot in the Bernese Oberland. These trees are at 11300 feet, which corresponds to 3444 metres. It even has a deciduous tree or bush.

The second picture shows the altitude levels of the Alps. You can see that for deciduous trees it ends at about 1500 metres.

Southern side of the Alps: there is mostly deciduous forest (chestnut trees). In Aerofly FS4, however, there is a lot of mixed forest and far too many conifers. They only appear at the very top (1500-1800m).
    Or take a look at a picture of the Ghiridone (2186m) in Ticino. There are lots of trees on the summit in Aerofly FS4. In reality, it's a barren rocky peak.

In the Engadine and parts of the Valais, the tree line is sometimes much higher, up to 2500 metres. But these are conifers (larches, Swiss stone pines).

Here is a link that might help. It has GIS files on the subject. https://www.agroscope.admin.ch/agroscope/de/h…en-schweiz.html

Important for me would be: - no more vegetation at 3000m
    - mainly deciduous trees in Ticino, conifers only at altitude

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• For the glaciers, I understand that this is due to global warming,

but regarding the trees, the main culprit today is the so-called bark beetle which is causing this main deforestation.

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

AFS2 / FS4 / MSFS / - Intel(R) Core i7 -12800HX 4.80 GHz - DDR5 4800MHz 32 Go - NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6X - 2x 2 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4

• The bark beetle is a different issue. The topic of this thread is about the tree line (Baumgrenze) in the Alps and it is a fact that the global warming does increase it. Seen like this IPACS is ahead of time with its tree line.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal