FS 2 navigation: how to set CDI & get heading/altitude/speed guides following route?

• Hi all, I'm just getting started with Aerofly FS 2 (iPad & iPhone), and am wondering how to get the course direction indicator and the heading/altitude/speed guides reflecting the waypoints on the course I've picked.

Here, for example, the green guides and the little route map are showing that I'm on course, but the CDI and the pink guide numbers for heading/airspeed/altitude/vertical speed are showing something quite different. How do I get them to guide me to the next waypoint (VOR or ILS) on my course?

Thanks in advance,
    Joe

• In the current version of Aerofly 2, there is no way to manually change the cdi. In those aircraft (172, 737, baron, etc), it's not really possible to follow a route unless you engage the copilot. Hopefully that will change in the future. You're better off with an aircraft that displays the route like the airbus a320 or a380, 747, Learjet, or king air.

• In the current version of Aerofly 2, there is no way to manually change the cdi. In those aircraft (172, 737, baron, etc), it's not really possible to follow a route unless you engage the copilot. Hopefully that will change in the future. You're better off with an aircraft that displays the route like the airbus a320 or a380, 747, Learjet, or king air.

Thanks for the info! I'd noticed that when I engaged the copilot, the CDI and other guides changed to reflect the route — not much use if I'm not flying it myself! As you say, hope that will change in the future.

• Cdi is out unless you go on a 090 to Salinas in California. The Airbuses allow the nav display needles in use so a run to Stockton gives a reasonable display with two local VORs displayed. For cdi operation you might need to go elsewhere, there is a buz in the Aero fan group about the XPlanes 10 update.

• The 090 to Salinas gives position information from 080 to 100 and with reversed sense needles from 260 to 280. You can do a nice southbound DME arc west of Salinas to the Monterey 10 approach waypoint 'shoey'.

Run south on the Salinas DME 26 miles arc. When the VOR2 needle is on the second dot from the left you are on the 264 radial and are at shoey. 264 from is 084 to. If the needle is on the second dot from the left with 090 selected then you are 6 (3 dots) degrees south of the 090 to, i.e 084 to or 264 from. From shoey the approach runs on 113 degrees to the Monterey ILS.

This is an old plate from the SkyVector site.

• Thanks for the tips, Overloaded! I'll try those routes out.

I actually have X-Planes 10, with the latest update. You can do instrument landings at various places, though I haven't managed to segue into one from free flight. The ILS landing options always move the plane to a set starting position. There are VORs you can select from free flight though they don't always seem to work. And there is one nice tutorial where ATC talks you through various bearings/altitudes then gets you lined up for an instrument landing. Wish one of the flight sims had that available at various locations.