Buildings pop up causes stutter

• It seems to me that 3D buildings are being loaded instantly in the distance. I sometimes get a rather big stutter or hickup and it seems to me this is due to that. Apart from the stutter: it doesn't look too good to see buildings popup, even if it is in the distance. is IPACS thinking about something like alpha blending...? I am not sure what it is LOL but I do know that in good old FSX this made autogen slowly come into view instead of instantly. This would, I think, prevent the pauses too.

• I haven't noticed any building popup myself - could you please provide a specific flight path (is this in VR or nonVR and what FPS are you getting and are you using ULTRA settings?) so I can see if I can notice it (I assume you have a PC with 4.0Ghz or better CPUs and at least an Nvidia 970). I do notice a distinct pause every so often and I think one of the Devs said it was the result of a scenery area being paged in from disk to memory. Of course, if Video card memory gets full, there can also be some pausing as it pages from CPU mem to VRAM.

Dave

Dave

• I haven't noticed any building popup myself - could you please provide a specific flight path (is this in VR or nonVR and what FPS are you getting and are you using ULTRA settings?) so I can see if I can notice it (I assume you have a PC with 4.0Ghz or better CPUs and at least an Nvidia 970). I do notice a distinct pause every so often and I think one of the Devs said it was the result of a scenery area being paged in from disk to memory. Of course, if Video card memory gets full, there can also be some pausing as it pages from CPU mem to VRAM.

Dave

Dave

Well, it happens everywhere where there are buildings, really. Fly from any direction to for instance KLAX and I (can) see it happening. I have an i7 4790K running at 4.5 Ghz, 16 GB RAM and my GPU is a GTX780 (is a 970 a minimum requirement...?) but it does have 6 GB VRAM.

• The stuttering is caused when we upload new textures or 3d models from the CPU side to the GPU. We have done our best to make this as smooth as possible, but we can't go below a certain limit.

What happens?

If Aerofly runs at lets say 100 FPS, one frame takes 10 ms. However when uploading a texture to the 3D card, the driver has to stop for a tiny amount of time, grab the texture from the main memory and upload it to the GPU memory. As a rough estimate, this can take as long as 25 ms. So at that point the 100 FPS is interrupted for a small amount of time and you notice this as stuttering.

As modern OpenGL drivers improve, we might be able to reduce this stuttering, but it can't be completely eliminated.

• Does having a GPU with larger amounts of memory mitigate this? I find that I really either have no stuttering, or that when one does happen I pretty much have to be looking for it to even notice.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• No, the amount of memory of your GPU is not important, this would only be the case if the memory is not enough. Activating all graphic features and flying around KSFO however currently will not consume more than 1.3GB to 1.5GB of memory. So any card with 2GB or more is just fine.

Unfortunately we have do direct way of getting in touch with NVIDIA or AMD driver developers, they might be able to provide more hints on what the optimal way to upload new GPU data is.

• LOL.

Tell them you want to incorporate Nvidia VRworks into your sim and let them use their "The way its meant to be played" logo, and I bet you would get a lot of help from nvidia. ;)

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Well, I have an Nvidia 1050Ti w/4GB, and will see the tiny "hiccup" on occasion. I figured it was a texture swap, it's almost unnoticeable, and not worth worrying about. I also do not see any pop up scenery, or don't notice it if it's there, just for your information.

I'm really enjoying FS2, and looking forward to more scenery availability. :)

Ken