Voice Attack based ATC. Any interest?

• Usually, you tell the grouned/tower your departure direction with first contact, not after you are airborne. Something like, Cessna 51911, requesting taxi, westbound, or requesting taxi, north bound. That way they can give you the proper turn - left, right, or continue straight - on takeoff.

btw, we still use the term TAKEOFF all the time in the USA. The heavy aircraft as in air carriers tend to use departure, but usually related to the dispatch and IFR clearances. (real pilot, real time, real experiences) so don't get hung up on details.

One of the Taxi to Signature s/b Taxi to Million air. Million Air and Signature are both very large and very nice FBOS.

You also do not actually receive a clearance to land, you receive permission to land. The term CLEARED to Land or Cleared as filed is the actual wording.

I think these small details will work themselves out when we get to using the system.

Regards,
    Ray

• There are a whole series of conditions for taxi at larger airports.

A lot of hold short or follow the yellow Cessna or follow the Learjet. or Do Not cross the active runway, hold short for further instructions. Hold short and wait for 747 on short final. Taxi in position and Wait or wait for landing traffic or taxi onto the active and line up Wait. (Always use Wait and Not HOLD when on the active runway).

We really do need some airport signage in FS2.

You could add some turnovers from Ground to Tower -

Contact Ground on 121.7 or Contact Ground on 121.9 or Contact Tower on 123.75. There are only a few ground freqs but a ton of Tower, Approach and Departure frequencies.

Also some get off the runway commands, turn right next exit, turn left when able, stay on runway and turn left onto . . .

Regards,

Ray

• Yes as Ray correctly posted, you say your intentions, but you never directly ask for taxi, takeoff or landing clearances, neither VFR nor IFR as far as I know. E.g. "ready for taxi, departure to the west", "ready for departure runway...", "inbound for land". . Actually I can't think of anything where you would say "request clearance". You can say "requesting FL150" or "requesting Runway 07L" if you don't like "07R" for example.

(FYI, I have a restricted flight radiotelegraph operator's certificate (BZF I) which qualifies me to communicate in German or English under VFR rules in a German aircraft or to a German ground station. I'm a real world glider pilot and I got that license some time ago, so I'm not fresh on the topic either... Ray also must have some certificate for radio communications... Just so you know we are not making that up, it actually is that wired in real life :D )

The Restricted RadioTelephone Operators Permit in the USA is a farce. You are required to have one, but there are no tests or instructions for use. This all comes from the Ground and Flight Instructor and a few basic books.

You could also add something about being a 'Student Pilot' if this is just for the Cessna. This starts with "Cessna 51911, Student Pilot, request taxi to the active runway, Southbound" "Gotham Tower, Cessna 51911, Student Pilot, inbound for landing" or "Gotham Tower, Cessna 51911 10 miles South, inbound for touch and go"

When you ID yourself as a Student Pilot, you get slower and better worded instructions and a lot of follow the Red and White Cessna 172 kind of treatment.

Regards,
    Ray

• Usually, you tell the grouned/tower your departure direction with first contact, not after you are airborne. Something like, Cessna 51911, requesting taxi, westbound, or requesting taxi, north bound. That way they can give you the proper turn - left, right, or continue straight - on takeoff.

Hmmm.... Might be a little harder to implement. I have to think on it a while.

I think the use of the wild cards will help with some of this.

• Check this out. Probably a lot more than you want to know at this stage.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/ATC.pdf (hard to read)

http://wiki.flightgear.org/ATC_phraseology (Very easy to read and understand) This should probably be the bible.

Regards,

Ray

• I remember when Ipacs mentioned the possibility of ATC, but said they weren't sure how to implement it, and requested some community input. If I remember correctly, the input was rather sparse, but them watching what sort of things people request for Voice Attack might be very informative.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I remember when Ipacs mentioned the possibility of ATC, but said they weren't sure how to implement it, and requested some community input. If I remember correctly, the input was rather sparse, but them watching what sort of things people request for Voice Attack might be very informative.

Yup. Couldn't agree more.

Ray

• Well, I will have something for you all to test this evening if you want to. Would appreciate feedback.

Just to cover it again. It will be for the Cessna, as that is the responses you will get. It will also be for VFR, so no IFR requests yet. It is a trail to feel things out, and may not be perfect. I have the wild cards kind of working, so it will be looking for key words, such as "land, landing, takeoff, departure, turn, taxi, etc."

This is pretty fun, just not getting any work done today. Oh well...

• OK Fellas! Here is the first crack at it. The file is almost 40mb because the sounds are in .wav format. I will change that before the next release.

Remember, this is just basic ATC for the Cessna. Ground, Tower, Departure, and Approach should all work.

I have modified it quite a bit form how I originally did it. VA is now listening for key words or phrases. If it hears that key word, it will respond appropriately. Now this could mean that you could royally mess up the grammer and still get a correct response, which may be a good thing if you stumble over words like I do. Unfortunately it also means you could say something like "Tower, stick it up your landing port" and it would still respond with landing clearance. Short of putting in every variant of how this could be said, this is still the best way.

Here is a list of words and phrases that are currently on the profile, and will elicit a response.

Open/Close -for opening and closing a flight plan (just the verbal response) Example: "Departure, Cessna 51911, I would like to open my VFR flight plan at this time."
    Departing - Use when holding short, alternative to "takeoff" request
    land/landing - requesting tower for landing permission Example: "Tower, Cessna 51911 request permission to land."
    Taxi to runway Example: "Ground, Cessna 51911, request permission to taxi to runway"
    Taxi to ramp
    Taxi to business
    Taxi to signature
    Turn to the (North, South, East, West) Example: "Departure, Cessna 51911, requesting permission for turn to the north"
    With you -notifies departure you are there.

Please give feedback! I will be working on it most of the day. :)

Here is the download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iyk9u7ynn8xc…rofile.zip?dl=0

Andrew

• Hello Andrew,

Excellent Start. This thing actually can understand me, and I like that a lot. Some suggestions;

Break the landing instructions into two pieces. Stop after cleared to land. Come back with contact Ground after a suitable delay. NOTE: The Tower will never turn you over to ground while still on the runway. Usually goes something like this.. Cleared to land, <time to land> Cessna 51911 clear runway when able, contact Ground on 121.9 when clear. or turn right or left when able, contact Ground on .9 when clear. Take 2nd left or any right turn, etc.

Change Turn to the North, West, East, South to . . .Request turn to North, West, East, South. .. response usually ends with . . . Good Day.
    or have a good day. Actually, Request Left Turn or Right Turn would be used on takeoff and climbout.

On Takeoff, after suitable time for takeoff and start of climb, come back with 'Cessna 911, contact departure on ..." or 'Cessna 911, continue straight to 2,000 feet before turning" 'or Cessna 911, contact departure on 125.9, right turn approved"

I think if you added some requests like

Tower, Cessna 911 request right turn, or left turn with a suitable response either Right turn approved or left turn approved, or maybe negative, non- standard turns not approved at this time. Come back 30 seconds later with Cessna 911 request for turn approved or turn approved at 3,000 feet AGL. - This would normally be used on climb out when no turns were previously requested.

Regards,

Ray

• I think those are doable. Let me see what I can whip up. :)

Andrew

• I think those are doable. Let me see what I can whip up. :)

Andrew

Not that they need to be added, just more is better.

I think most Ground Control frequencies are either 121.1 or 121.7 or 121.9. Most likely on the low end of the freq - scale. Probably safe with 121.7 or .9 most of the time. For sure 121. something 95% of the time.

I did notice the female voice on 'with you' came back with "cleared for departure". That is not correct for "with you". S/B cleared as filed, or to destination, or to someplace or some altitude, but, not for departure.

Most times, Departure Control will end with Altimeter 29.99, have a nice day.

A new one, 'Cessna 51911, You are leaving my airspace, frequency change approved, good day." Maybe this just comes up when no commands have been issued for some period of time. Even if it is at the wrong place or time, it would be one more +.

Regards,

Ray

• I just heard the traffic report when asked to land. Very nice touch. That is very common and could be used throughout with lots of exchanges.

Traffic 2 o'clock westbound, fast moving,

Traffic 11 o'clock North bound slow moving,

Be advised, heavy traffic in the pattern. etc.

Traffic 3 o'clock, blue Learjet, fast moving

Be advised, Delta MD-80 on long, straight in final.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

New one - "Emergency"

Tower, I am declaring an emergency, my engine just stopped.

Response - Roger, Cessna 51911 Gotham Tower, understand engine failure, Squawk 7700, you are cleared for immediate landing on any runway, repeat any runway - use extreme caution. .

then a standard broadcast from the tower

All Traffic, All Traffic in the Gotham Air Traffic area, we have a Cessna 172 making an emergency landing, use extreme caution.

>>>>>.

Ray

• Ray,
    Wording help with turns, climbs and decent please. :) Got many of the other things you were saying done.

Considering you are VFR the commands are probably not going to be very specific. Probably a lot of changes in Transponder codes when changing headings and altitudes.

You could request Flight Following Service. Center would confirm Flight Following and provide transponder codes, traffic, altimeter settings, and handoffs to another geographic area (might be tough to do) but you could change freq. and codes - Cessna 51911, change to departure on 132.75 or change to approach on 132.25, squawk any mix of 4 digits.

Come back would be, Cessna 51911 Radar Contact, 22 miles east, or west, or "over the VOR", 8,500 feet or 6,500 feet, altimeter 30.01.

Cessna 51911, turn right 40 degree to avoid traffic. then sometime later . . . Cessna 51911 turn left 45 degrees to return to original course.

Cessna 51911, we show you 4 miles off course, turn right 10 degrees.

Cessna, we show you 300 feet below your assigned altitude, start an immediate climb.

Cessna, runway 27L is active with Left traffic, enter downwind at 1500 feet AGL. or enter base leg for left traffic for runway 27L.

Cessna, maintain current heading until over the stadium at your 12 o'clock 2 miles, then turn left and enter the traffic pattern.
    Cessna, maintain current heading until over the water tower at your 12 o'clock 3 miles, then turn left and enter the traffic pattern.
    Cessna, maintain current heading until past the golf course at your 12 o'clock 2 miles, then turn left and enter the traffic pattern.
    Cessna, turn left 10 degrees, when over the freeway interchange at your 11 o'clock 2 miles, turn left and enter the traffic pattern.

Cessna, turn right 10 degrees, when over the freeway interchange at your 1 o'clock 3 miles, turn right and enter downwind for the landing pattern.

Cessna, follow the blue and white Piper Cherokee for landing.

Cessna, you are number 4 in the pattern for landing, follow the Cessna 152 at your 2 o'clock. Report turning left base.

Cessna, you are number 3 in the pattern for landing, follow the Silver Cirrus at your 2 o'clock. Report turning left base.

Cessna on long Final, turn on your landing lights and rock your wings. Response, Roger Cessna 51911 confirmed, cleared to land.

Regards,

Ray

• Here is the latest https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0sn8o7j180p…rofile.zip?dl=0

I did not get these last few things in, but changed many of the previous suggestions. Let me know thoughts.

Just got it updated. I put the sound files in the wrong folder. Must be in Sound/FS2 folder. I can't get VA to understand 'emergency' but it does pick up on 'help' so that is good thing to have more than one key command. The emergency works great. thanks.

Yep, the split landing / turn off runway works better now. I see the 45 sec delay.

Lots of new stuff. Got the advisory on the fast moving blue Learjet, MD-80 on long final, neat.
    Cleared for TO right turn appv'd. Cleared for TO, Left turn appv'd. Nice.

Do you have a list of key works or phrases for us to try?

Ray

• the landing clearance should now be in 2 parts. I may need to change the length of time on it however.

Several more landing request replies with traffic updates.

fixed the bad destination/departure call

added "emergency" Declare an emergency.

A couple other minor things. If those seem good, I will try to do some turn and altitude requests.