Key Bindings/Sim Actions/Voice Control in VR

• Sorry if the title sounds complicated but what I'm doing isn't really. I'll explain so I can ask my question.

I have a full set of functionality from voice control within P3Dv4 currently via the key bindings that that sim uses.

I'm trying to implement as much of that for AeroFly FS2 and will have a lot of questions sometime later, please.

For the moment, I'd like to ask IF the simple 2D functionality of the ZOOM (function/action) can be implemented into the VR environment. This is NON-Functional at the moment but IS within P3Dv4 and IS VERY VERY useful.

As you'll be aware, the resolution within Oculus isn't as great as one would hope for and operation of various cockpit switches/controls generally is more difficult in VR than it can be IF some "quick" zoom functionality is available. That is what I have in P3Dv4 and, trust me it works fantastically via voice control.

E.G. "Zoom In (a bit, a lot, more)", "Zoom Out (a bit, a lot, more".

This just about one of the most simplest functions that have a considerable positive practical upshot.

Other questions are likely to be based on the nature of the function i.e. if it is "toggle" like G for gear or can or should be based on a detection of state so voice commands can reliably say things like "Gear UP" or "Gear DOWN" and be certain of the result. Do you see?

Anyway, this is all very satisfying currently with some obvious wishes so it can work that much better.

Cheers.

BG2518-Bob.

• FY interest a vid I did when I first started this in P3D.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So, you can get an idea of where I'm going but obviously I'm focused solely on and in VR now.

The concept of a Co-Pilot I think is still cool but not 100% necessary and not all the abilities shown are actually needed e.g. throttle control but could help those with disabilities enjoy FS2 of course.

Cheers.

BG2518-Bob

• In VR the premise is to lean forward with your head as you already have full range of motion. If you have a stronger PC you can increase the sharpness/resolution by going into the settings/virtual reality and increasing the 'render scale factor'. Those that can increase this setting to 2.0 notice a much better image overall and have very little problem seeing any instrumentation, even the fine print.

The voice command is a good idea though for control until updates to motion control are finished.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• You STRONGLY recommend to leave that setting at 1 in the program and I KNOW from experience of using it how good the higher value can be and I KNOW also WHY you don't recommend changing it as it fries the GPU (even a 1080). So, on my medium based PC I'll do what you say in the game and not above.

In the meantime, would it actually hurt to incorporate the zoom facility in the VR environment for those who don't want to use their PC to make toast?

Plus to be "close" to the area of concern for controlling that e.g. a GPS is almost a necessity. Why would I want to / have to lean in to get that ability to control it?

Not arguing on how you may want us to use it, just giving "honest" feedback from a practical user.

:)

BG2518-Bob.

• The Q400 on setting 2 is SO much clearer for the 30 seconds I dare use it.

The CDU would be impractical to work with leaned in or not.

The VR view also needs a "freeze" facility so one can work with whatever controls without the effect of the environmental movement.

It's "feedback"

BG2518-Bob

• You STRONGLY recommend to leave that setting at 1 in the program and I KNOW from experience of using it how good the higher value can be and I KNOW also WHY you don't recommend changing it as it fries the GPU (even a 1080). So, on my medium based PC I'll do what you say in the game and not above.

Er... I must have missed something but I have been using a setting of 2.0 for over half a year now with my 10180 and so far I didn't have any problems. None at all. My GPU isn't fried at all. People all over the world use similar settings without any problems. I don't know where you get the idea this setting is dangerous but it isn't.

Concerning the zoom: I doubt if it is that easy to implement because of how VR works but as said above, the fun things about VR is that it is just as if you are there so yes, leaning forward is the way to go. And zooming in VR is unrealistic while we use VR to make things more real. Talking about more real...

Concerning voice command: you say "operation of various cockpit switches/controls generally is more difficult in VR"...? Seriously? I find it a LOT more easy to do than with my old Track IR and a 2D screen. A LOT easier, also because the mouse pointer stays where it is in the 3D world unlike my mouse when using Track IR. Besides, using Touch would be even better but until we get that the mouse is far more realistic than using voice control, which looks and sounds quite odd to me. But well, to each his own. ;) Anyway, I don't understand why you ask for a freeze option: you don't need it in VR just like you don't need it in real life. On a @d scren with Track IR a freeze option would make more sense.

• I don't fully agree. I have a GTX1060 6g and have the supersampling on 1.5. Nu problems there.

If I put it on 1 things are just too fuzzy and pixelated. A 1080 should make it up to 2.0, with moderate shadows, buildings and trees.

• A 1080 should make it up to 2.0, with moderate shadows, buildings and trees.

I have everything at Ultra and it works flawlessly in 2D and VR. No problems at all. And my PC stands on the attic where it can become real hot: never had any problems with heat.

• I have everything at Ultra and it works flawlessly in 2D and VR. No problems at all. And my PC stands on the attic where it can become real hot: never had any problems with heat.

Nice! Won't be long for I'll jump the upgrade bandwagon then.

Whats your cpu? I have a i5 3570k @4.2. Little worried it will bottleneck the 1080. But I have read here that VR/higher resolution is more of a burden on the GPU then CPU, just like AFS2. so thats positive.

• As a reference here, even users with a GTX 980 can set the RSF to at least 1.60 without causing any performance issues. For those with a GTX 1080 or a 1080ti setting to 2.0 and even shadows at 'INSANE' will not hinder performance at all.

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Nice! Won't be long for I'll jump the upgrade bandwagon then.

Whats your cpu? I have a i5 3570k @4.2. Little worried it will bottleneck the 1080. But I have read here that VR/higher resolution is more of a burden on the GPU then CPU, just like AFS2. so thats positive.

I have an i7 4790K @ 4.5. The 1080 should work fine with your @4.2: the larger VRAM of the 1080 should also make a difference, I think.

• For those with a GTX 1080 or a 1080ti setting to 2.0 and even shadows at 'INSANE' will not hinder performance at all.

I think this may be so for those with a 1080 Ti which (afaik) has more VRAM but my 1080 struggles with ultra shadows above for instance New York. Of course this is 'heavy scenery' but just to be sure I don't get stutters and hickups suddenly I have everything at Ultra. ;) (I rather use RSF 2.0 than insane shadows.)

• Interessantly btw, that SteamVR also has a supersampling function. In which you can even add additional supersampling. Curious to see if that does cripple a 1080 or 1080ti. 8)

For instance when I run a simple game which ingame allows me to run 2.0 perfectly, when I then start adding additional SS from steam it enhances even more before soon going into cripppling mode. (read: extreme low fps)

• I wouldn't recommend this as it may have a conflicting outcome.

The only enhancements that could be used to accompany the 'render scale factor' setting is the AA settings in your GPU control panel, however in VR AA has little effect on the image rendering.

Regards,

Jeff

• I wouldn't recommend this as it may have a conflicting outcome.

The only enhancements that could be used to accompany the 'render scale factor' setting is the AA settings in your GPU control panel, however in VR AA has little effect on the image rendering.

Agreed.

I am still trying to find the perfect balance between the amount of RSF and the graphics settings though.

Lowering building density, shadows and trees does seem to pay off for my mid range card in order to up the RSF. But probably thats also up personal preference. Clarity versus eyecandy.

I currently run 1. 6 with high on textures, and low on density and shadows. In populated area's i need to go down in RSF, a bit too much stutter, despite reprojection.

• Thinking it through a little... I reckon you could maintain immersion by using voice to create the "focus".

So you'd say "heading" to select the heading knob, and maybe use a hat switch up or down to select the heading.

If you have to speak to execute an action, on the other hand, it would be like speaking to the copilot.

Or in the extreme, dialing yourself out of the picture completely, as in "land the aircraft".

In Bob's clip above, I found my knuckles whitening when he asked for less throttle as the end of the taxiway loomed.

I'd want those operations under my (real) hand!

• I was simply showing the range of possibilities via voice and that is an OPTION for the user.

Nobody has to work the way the commands allow.

As I said I'm all for CHOICE.

I see I have none with my request and I'm considered mad because my PC heats up like the devil's playground itself when 2.0 setting is used. Perhaps that will change when I change my PC for about another £5k at Xmas.

I know through my experience with Carenado Aircraft in P3Dv4 in VR where the pitfalls will be for glass cockpit operation in VR and IF AeroFly want to help their users in the future regarding fast accurate control of such devices then my thoughts are an option to use or not. And NO, don't use IF you've something better up your sleeve which I'm happy to eventually see.

I'm all for "as real as it gets" and will happily nod to my keyboard to change frequencies in my glass cockpit in the AeroFly future if necessary. Just saying, I don't have to do that in P3Dv4 NOW if I don't want to.

In case of doubt, I am chilled and love AeroFly.

BG2518-Bob.