Posts by Jet-Pack (IPACS)

Thanks, well I really love this airplane. I think it turned out great and I enjoy sitting back and just flying with it. It has quite a number of cool features that you don't get from an A320 or a Boeing and that makes it so unique to me.

Prop management in the Q400 is not very difficult: For takeoff set 1020 RPM. At about 1500ft after takeoff set 900RPM for climb power. When reached cruise level: set 850 RPM. And in the approach phase set 1020 again. The closer you are to the ground the higher your RPM gets. Easy as that.

You could customize a bit more but you really don't have to. It's totally fine if you fly it like I just wrote.

The Q400 somewhat fills the gap between small jet aircraft like the Learjet 45 and larger airliners like the A320. The Q400 has a lot of power (5000 horse power on each engines, total of 10150 hp) compared to its mass (max only 30,000kg) which gives it a large operating range and a lot of headroom and makes it a great work-horse so to say. On approach the Q400 can be as fast as a typical airliners which is nice for scheduling in real life and with its large props it can also do quite steep descents and slow down a lot. With it's maximum flap setting of 35° it can also fly very slow and land on shorter runways.

Compared to say an A320 it is still very hands on and but the systems are kept quite simple which is allowed due to its short flights.

The auto-flight system is a bit different compared to the other airliners (but similar to the LJ45) which makes it a nice learning experience. I can for example prepare an ILS on the copilot side while I fly on FMS on my pilot side and then switch the nav-source for the autopilot across and fly the ILS.

Also the handling of the engines is different, in the end it has turbo-prop engines and no turbo-fans. The turboprops are a lot more efficient in terms of fuel consumption which makes it ideal for short hops. And the turbo-props require a bit more monitoring but allow for more customization. I can for example, set 850RPM (used for cruise) but override the maximum torque value to use the climb power. Or I can leave the RPM at 850 for landing (better for noise and vibrations etc.) and arm the 1020 max RPM for a potential go-around.

And I think it's this short range design of the Q400 that makes it so attractive to a lot of users. You can land on A LOT of shorter runway in the sim (I managed to put it down anywhere I wanted to so far, even Meigs can be done...). And it has a lot of power to get from A to B quickly or just to fun things. It's versatile and you, as a pilot, are in the loop, tell the aircraft what it should do next.

"fly heading, now FMS, now VOR, maintain current pitch now, yeah, now power to flight idle get that descent going, RPM 850 and hold that whilst I advance levers to 1020 RPM, now only flap 10 for landing, whew this is quick, keep the power in, nice touch down, now do reverse! BRRRRT aw love that sound, alright now tight turn to the right, yeahaaa, lock the controls, cut engines, ding ding ding - it's ok shhh, DING, yeah yeah I know, quiet now!"

And of course the fact that you can do a real engines start in the Aerofly now. That gives users a lot more to play with, pretend to have an engine failure and try to counter the large torque of the remaining prop at full power. Plus the Q400 requires some pilot action in the cockpit if you want to do it right. It's just a bit different to an A320 or B737 and that is very refreshing.

For me the Q400 can be described as "simply a bit more of everything". More aspect ratio, more horse power, longer fuselage, longer landing gear and landing gear is very far apart -> better cross wind landings, more drag if you want to slow down, more power to climb, more things to do in the cockpit, more things to play with the engines, more prop sound, wings are higher on the fuselage, the tail is higher than normal, it's quick, it can be slow and to a tight turn :)

So yeah, what do you guys think, what excites you most about the Q400?

Yeah that landing... ouch :D

That loud uoioioioi sound warns you when you pull the power levers aft of the flight detent when in flight. Also flaps would be helpful for landing :)

For landing: put power to about 22% and don't touch the power levers until you have ground contact. Then pull them aft to DISC

If you pull the power levers to idle during the flare you're going to loose a lot of the lift, which you experienced during the landing. It starts to fall like a rock

I'm going to need more info than that. I just tested it in the public steam version and it works fine.

The autopilot cannot be engaged above 45 deg bank or at pitch angles above 30 or below -15 or so degrees.

The autopilot will disconnect in low speed or overspeed. Don't forget the LJ45 doesn't have an autothrottle system so you need to manage the speed yourself.

Do you maybe have the autopilot master and autopilot disconnect assigned to the same key or button?

wohooo, finally! :D

Can you give us an overview of this new update.

For sake of completeness, here is the link to Jeffs update post: Q400 Aircraft and Major Update Released Today!

Make sure to swing by the detailled change log in the wiki: https://www.aerofly.com/aerofly_fs_2/d…section20170726

because the full change log is really long actually.

Maybe give steam a couple of minutes to display the Q400 in the DLC list... I'm going to check later if the problem persists.

Well that is the thing about letting the users vote democratically... At the point where the decision was made to program ATC there have been about 5 requests about helicopter in total compared to maybe 100 for ATC. So IPACS listened to the users and started ATC. Now a lot more helicopters fans have raised their voices but I still think the ATC are ahead in terms of numbers, so to say. Personally I totally agree, we need helicopters more than we need ATC right now....

Please also don't forget that the interview took place over a year ago. This was only shortly after the early access release of the Aerofly FS 2. Back then we didn't have New York or Switzerland if I remember correctly or even Innsbruck and Meigs Field or the HD version of the grand canyon. Now the possibilites for flying scenarios with helicopters have grown and the demand for helicopters has risen significantly as well. I let IPACS headquaters decide on how quickly they want the first heli in Aerofly FS 2. All I can say is that the R22 heli that has been previewed for quite some time is still flying in the Aerofly FS 2 and is fairly up to date with it's features. It's a matter shifting focussing on helicopter specific physics which will cost time and will most likely delay other things like ATC.

Here is everything that we want in Aerofly... ATC + "AI" / multi-"player", phenomenal weather, cold and dark and so forth

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Mit größeren Maschinen geht es in der Regel einfacher, dann natürlich draußen.

Szenery z.B.: Hodges Hobbies Airfield

Flugzeuge: Edge 540T, Extra 330 S, Katana, Extra 260, Cap 232 (z.b. in der Reihenfolge) und später dann z.b. auch Sbach 342.

Auf ein einziges Flugzeug würde ich mich nicht einstellen, wenn du die Technik des Hovern lernen willst dann sollte das mit fast jedem Flieger gut gehen. Manche Modelle sind einfacher als andere, mit viel Schub und damit ordentlich Propellerwind aufs Heck sollte es aber mit den meisten 3D Fliegern problemlos gehen.

Man kann auch die Wilga torquen ist aber eher was für profis :D

Hi guys, yes multiplayer is very important and would suit the Aerofly FS 2 very well. Just don't forget that there have been even more requests for ATC in the past and that is why ATC is in development right now. There will be a lot of side-benefits of the ATC integration such as realistic departure and arrival routes, probably improved route planning, airspaces, maybe taxiway signs and a lot of other things. Multiplayer wouldn't have that many benefits for anyone not using it. The ATC feature, even if you may never use it, improves the Aerofly FS 2 on multiple levels at once. I have no doubt that multiplayer will be added to the Aerofly FS series in the future, I'm very much looking forward to flying with you all in this beautiful landscape!

We hear your voices!

Hi and welcome to the Aerofly FS 2!

To my knowledge there is no official way to save a route. But the current route is saved in C:\Users\...\Documents\Aerofly FS 2 in the "main.mcf" file. If you backup that file you can save your route that way. When you want to switch back, replace the main.mcf with your backup file.

I may create a quick program to do that actually... That is very simple todo for me since I already wrote an algorithm to read in these type of aerofly files. So it's just a matter of storing your routes and then injecting them back into the current main.mcf file. I might actually do that, though I'm very busy right now and I hope I won't forget...

Looking forward to more add-on scenery and aircraft with a little more capability. This sim is pretty good now and will only get better.

Great to have you on board, welcome to Aerofly and the IPACS forums!

You may have read it somewhere else already: there are updates for the airliners lined up that will improve the autopilot and add other nice features. And then there is the Q400 on it's way as well :)

Hi Jay, thanks for measuring it for me!

So it's not super powerful yet. But I think that largely depends on the actuators that you install, right?

I think real world forces can go up to an equivalent of 15kg or more. So far the only bigger thing I've flown is a Cessna 350 Columbia and it's elevator force was quite noticeable compared to the touring motorglider G109B or any other glider. I really had to pull and push hard on it's side stick. Roll was had quite low forces, more like I was used to anyway.

Regards,

Jan