Posts by Jay 737

Some controls I had to make compromises on... for example the heading bug.

I've sold my X52 to upgrade but one feature I loved about it was the scrol wheel at the front of the throttle. When you leave mouse cursor hovering above HDG bug or other rotary selectors, it will disappear after while but you can still turn the bug with the scroll wheel on your X52.

btw, I'm preparing video to show you guys latest addition to my pit, including five rotary encoders. They are currently assigned to control AP and I have to say, It makes such great difference in VR that I decided to build whole radio stack too;)

Jay

Hey boys

I'm afraid that I've got some bad news for you. Just kidding - SUPER CUB it is!! :))

I didn't find any good blueprints for Carbon Cub though but I think it's nearly identical to PA18 super cub isn't it? (apart from engine cover)

Only started modeling this afternoon and it's going to be long journey as I intend to get it as close as possible to beautiful level of details that IPACS provides.

Small wheel version comes first, the big foot and floats after that.

The testing pool would be awesome Jan, go for it:)

Regards Jay

Thanks Jan

I will follow your advice. Nevertheless it would be great if you could extend the wiki a little regarding this subject.

I'm really exited about this and if it goes well I will NOT stop with one plane only:)

Will keep you posted

Jay

Hey all

I love 3D modeling and always wanted to try to create an aircraft for FS. Aerofly with it's tools and supportive community seems like great place to start.

I also feel that user created content in this field needs a little kickstart8o

I've read all the wiki wisdom on this subject however I'll be coming back here for more as I go.

For now:

- Is anybody out there already trying this? Any useful tips you would like to share?

- what do I need to know regarding copyrights? Do I need any kind of permission from particular aircraft manufacturer to make and publicly share model of theirs design?

- my first attempt is going to be all electric plane (another reason I wanna do this). Is there anything wrong with this idea (regarding AF2 engine and it's capabilities) that would not allow me to achieve this?

Thanks Jay

I also wanted to add (as already mentioned above) that for serious simer, virtual controls ONLY, is nowhere close to practicality.

We've spend way too much bug for descent controllers to enjoy proper "hands on" experience. I too feel this direction is sort of waste of time.

Nevertheless it's not that easy to suggest ideal model as VR is still very young and even use of Vive's wands or Rift's touch controllers along with real hotas or yoke will be very disturbing as those controllers won't be permanently attached to your hands.

Perhaps Leap motion or the GloveOne can offer some sensible solution but this is still far future for "today pilots" so why can't we get just beheaded avatar with an option to turn him invisible by the click of a button?

You all make good sense guys but really having the option to turn the body On/Off is the best choice here.

The immersion is great with pilot's body and even greater when you realise the shadow of your head projected around the cockpit is actually following movement of your own head (like in Combat Air Patrol 2).

Another title (Discovering space 2) went even farther and "lean" the whole upper body of your avatar as you move your headset horizontally.

It is a gamechanger, you have to try it to believe!

Does IPACS have any plans regarding this subject?

Jay

Yes, both will be supported in the future.

If you don't have other constraints, we would always recommend to use relative / incremental controls like rotary encoders and push buttons instead of absolute encoders like potentiometers and switches. Doing so avoids most of the synchronization problems between the controller positions and the simulated positions (like airplane is placed on runway, gear lever in cockpit is still up)

Thanks Mark, this is all I needed to know.

I am aware of the synchronization issue however either solution requires "reset" of the physical cockpit at the start of each flight though.

Anyway, I'm happy with that.

Thanks Jay

Hey guys

Love the progress that has been made so far, great work.

I have a question regarding the future plans for control options and assignments.

The reason I'm asking is that I am building new section of my home pit control panel with many switches, pots, and rotary encoders.

Rotary encoders with Leo Bodnar's card will work just fine for stuff like radio and autopilot tuning. I'm just not sure whether the rest will work in AFS2, thus the question.

- Are we going to be able to assign potentiometers to panel and instrument lighting ?

- Will AFS2 accept toggle switch input for other functions like landing gear, external lights etc. in the way when if "button pressed" = light on, "button released = light off" ?

I know there was this request already but I'm just asking what your plans are as I can still modify my build to make it usable with your sim.

Thanks Jay