Posts by Spit40

A very big reason why we don't provide release dates :)

Keep in mind that even though this thread states "GeoConvert Tool in June?" doesn't mean that we are committed to it. I didn't create this thread. Now, on the good side of this, we are now testing out a potential release candidate right now, so the tool should be in everyone's hands very soon.

Please let us just finish up on the testing and make some last minute fixes/changes as we want a quality product released to all of you.

The number of responses you provide just to calm the impatient amongst us, like me. IPACS should give you a medal. Well we do appreciate it too Jeff.

Thanks Rodeo. Much appreciated as ever. I realise now that the different level entries in the TMC are a specification for what Geoconvert should create from the same source imagery. I had thought that I should (or had the option to) be doing multiple downloads at multiple levels of detail and then each entry in the TMC corresponded to a particular download source which Geoconvert would convert and merge.

Thanks Rodeo. The original documentation is excellent but I also like the look of the simplified version. Whenever I write technical training materials for something new I start with a simple exercise they can follow with no extras so they can get from start to end as quickly as possible and see a finished result asap. If there are two ways of doing something I show just one. If something is optional I leave it out. The original documentation is excellent and suitable for those who are confident diving into the unknown, but for those who's eyes glaze over quickly (I have lots of clients like that) I think your short version will be a great way in.

Just some questions about levels if I may. I thought at first these were like flight levels, but they're FSET levels I see and bigger means more detailed. Hmm, actually quite a few questions:

1. Can you get away with doing super detail on everything and just load in a single level for an area?
    2. Does that create performance problems at higher altitudes?
    3. How does FS2 decide to switch from using one level of detail to another? Do the levels equate to an altitude threshold?
    4. In practice I imagined I would download an area at a single level of detail (as I already have), then geoconvert it and use it. Then I might download an adjacent area or a more detailed part within the existing area and geoconvert that. Will that cause a problem? Should I gather all tiles at different levels that are in a certain area and convert them as a batch, redoing the whole thing if I want to add another level of detail within that area?

Thanks for this great contribution

Phil

Given some of the comments so far here and on steam, how about a simplified tutorial that skips the manual TFW option and could even skip the coastline/water masking for mainly inland areas - or link to it as n optional extra. Also i found i can navigate around the world in FSET without needing co-ords, just by drag and zoom, so skip that bit too. Then its just a case of

1. Install SDK

2. Install FSET and latest ini

3. Download Geoconvert

4. Run FSET, set output directory and other config, find the area you want and download it

5. Run geoconvert

Just a quick update; for anyone interested in the upcoming GeoConvert tool, a detailed tutorial has been added to the official Aerofly FS2 Wiki: https://www.aerofly.com/aerofly_fs_2/d…cenery_creation

Please understand that this is only the first part of the tutorial and it may be changed a bit pending any release changes of the tool.

Just a thought Jeff. How about numbering the steps starting from the 'find an area' bit and an overview list at that point of what the remaining steps are. It would then for example make it easier to know which bits are skipped over if you don't do a manual TFW. Also I find it easier to absorb new information if I have an overview big picture first. Thanks.

Phil

Do you mean you want to reset your position in the cockpit once you've sat yourself down properly on your pilot seat? Spacebar resets VR camera, but I've reconfigured another more convenient button to do that. Or configure an xbox controller button to do it. It's under Settings > Controls

Thanks for the update; here's a question for you:

In the tsc file, are the coordinates in the file (such as -122.3456) the same coordinates as seen in Google Maps when clicking on a location, or are they based on something a tad different? Please explain...

My experience from placing aircraft carriers around the coast is that google co-ords are what you use, although the order is reversed. The 3rd co-ord of height above sea level is the one I couldn't work out other than by trial and error. Why should I want to alter that you may ask? Well I did have fun putting an aircraft carrier in Lake Michigan, Indeed in rather than on.

Thanks Jan. Your input is always appreciated. Perhaps one of your colleagues will chip in with something extra. I know i'm probably alone with this, but i'd find a solution to this more useful than a Q400, although both would be nice :) Until VR trchnology steps up its screen resolution i'm sticking with simpler aircraft.

In the C172 on the right seat there is a tablet device with a map on it. Obvious that that is some kind of test to get an electronic flight back in the cockpit.

I'm also just guessing that that may be the plan but I don't have all info here either.

Regards,

Jan

Afaik using Steam mode hurts performance a bit. I rather not do that. I don't use Steam VR anyway so I don't feel like installing all that just for this. I'd like IPACS to come up with a nice solution, haha! ;)

Absolutely . I really want iPACS to come up with their own solution. I'm about to get a 1080ti so have stopped worrying about the performance loss. The real issue is that the overlay is clumsy to use and it takes some fiddling to get the best setup for giving it focus ( you can use the mouse and move/zoom the map when you have done this) and restoring focus to the game. At present the kind of flying I like best is in a small GA using VORs and pilotage for navigation which requires me to see a manual flight plan and sectional charts. I occasionally make a navigation mistake, get a bit lost in remote areas and have to recover situational awareness which I enjoy as a challenge, but what I don't enjoy is fiddling around trying to bring skyvector into focus.