Posts by Jetjockey10

Hey Gang,

If you haven't added this new South Florida DLC to your flying areas I highly recommend that you do. I grew up in Florida, learned to fly there and accumulated all my rating there. Even so, I never managed to fly over Fort Jefferson, never landed at Tamiami, now Miami Exec, and never read the history of Biscayne National Park or Dry Tortugas National Park.

I bought my copy within hours of it being available on Steam but immediatelyi left on a 2 week vacation. I am now back and have some time to look around at some of the details.

I am flying with the South Florida DLC on my center screen with fsWidgets maps active on my left screen showing my position, speed and altitude, and using Google Maps on my right screen to zoom in on anything of interest.

I had no idea that so much new stuff would be included. Like all the new trees, tons of custom buildings, a grass runway, great presentation of all the different colors of water, manatees, people walking along the beaches, boats and ships, new detailed cars in parking lots and of course the 9 new airports.

This DLC has a very nice mix of general aviation airports, large and small, several commercial airports, 2 military airports, and private airports.

I was taxiing around Miami Exec and noticed several new repaints have been added. Nothing spectacular, but very nice and clean new colors. Take a look at the attachments.

This got me thinking that some of us would be interested in a dedicated thread showing the improvements that have been added. I can think of several groupings, like trees and plants, people, manatees, boats, aircraft repaints, historic buildings and lighthouses, and of course some of the custom buildings.

I could spend a week exploring the Dry Tortugas park area and Fort Jefferson. While we wait for the R22 and heliports, I am working on adding a small runway on Bush Key near the fort using fsCloudPort. This would be a barebones runway for the Cessna and other slow flying planes.

Maybe we can start uploading screenshots with a hint on where to find all these new items.

Thanks Jeff and IPACS.

Regards,

Ray

Bird Key Bank Island of Monroe County about 45Mi west of KeyWest has some extra's. I flow above in absolute silence, not to disturbing the sea-creatures

underneath, a sealplane was the only solution(only fro a while...I crashed in the open see and lost my plane but was luckely myself unharmed, only wet):

Very Nice.

Regards.

Ray

Dry Tortugas National Park just screams for a seaplane or floatplane in AFS2.

Regards,

Ray

Unfortunately better source quality doesn't translate into better images in FS2. Also doesn't USGS map data just cover the USA? Their terrain data is USA only. There's a whole rest of the planet out there, even if some of us are standing upside down. ^^

All your points were stated on my posts.

1. USGS scenery is far superior to free Google and Bing. 2. IPACS may reduce end quality when flying in FS2, but not necessarily. 3. USA only but may include Territories. 4. Users can freely share scenery worldwide when source is included.

Many areas have super high resolution available for airports areas, for instance. This might look great even standing on your head. 😳

Regards,

Ray

I’m thinking we will be having a totally different conversation or at least totally different results once we have USGS hd scenery available for testing. IPACS may reduce the quality of the scenery when looking at it in FS2 but, the quality of the base images are far superior to most of the Bing and Google free images in the U.S.

Regards,

Ray

I thought I was going to miss the 1st day of South Florida dlc but got an announcement email from steam. Used paypal, went out for lunch, came back and it was downloaded and ready to fly. I am circling around Opa Locka now scoping out some old stomping grounds.

First impressions are outstanding work guys. I anticipated the north border and added new 1m FSET scenery to take it up past Palm Beach and over to the West Coast near Sarasota.

The Miami skyline is a great addition. General cultivation in all areas looks really nice. Ocean Reef looks better than it does in the real world. ha. The grass runway, tall palm trees, sailboats, and custom houses sure make Tavernaero special. I probably have the only Lear 45 to ever land and takeoff there.

I am super pleased with your efforts. Sorry, I have to run. I literally have a plane to catch.

Good luck with this newest dlc.

Regards,

Ray

I am leaving on vacation in two days so I am going to wait until I return in 2 weeks to download and try the new v 0.5. I will probably miss the South Florida DLC and the TE Netherlands debuts but, I will follow the forums with my iPad.

For excitement I will try to fly a helo through the volcano eruption - I hear it is too dangerous to view from a cruise ship. =O I will also try to snap a few pictures of PHNL for our custom scenery builder. ;)

Regards,

Ray

Not to split hairs, but, without FSET and GeoConverter I would not have any useful user made scenery. FSET may be only one of several sources for GeoConverter and we were only talking about FSET and GeoConverter in the conversation. Not a global conversation of all things. I think we all understand that may scenery sources can be used if in the proper format.

The wiki speaks directly to using either FSET or USGS to feed GeoConverter. :)

Regards,

Ray

Thanks!

In 0.5 the zoom / image detail slider now shows you the meters per pixel value. Zoom 20 is 0.146 m/pix.

I suppose the only disadvantage of using selecting with level 14 size tiles is that you can't generate level 13 ttc files from them.

However, when you look at commercial scenery like OrbX LOWI all the super detailed stuff is level 14 and level 15 files, so it's probably not an issue for most people.

Excellent. Thanks for building this special program for us. I am waiting with great anticipation for the USGS edition. We will be able to freely share our scenery with the USGS edition.

Regards,

Ray

You can download the free graphics program GIMP and match the water color and paint over the ugly stuff. Save your modified bmp files then run GeoConverter. Using a large sized paint brush you can cover up the bad areas rather quickly.

A few select users are good at water masking and they can give you some professional advice on using the alpha channel to fix the problem.

Regards,

Ray