Posts by frui

I'm a Pimax 8K Kickstarter backer, but as my number is high (in the 5.000's) I still have some time to decide if I should "downgrade" to the 5K+. I am using VR almost exclusively for flight simming, and I am drawn to the higher resolution and reduced SDE on the 8K, but the improved clarity and sharpness reported by reviewers of the 5K+ over the 8K, is very tempting. What to do.......?

I have tested both for several months. From a flight simer's perspect of view, 5K+ is definitely the way to go. I'd choose 5K+ for most other usage too.

frui,

Glad you are getting the 90fps - how much effect does using a more complicated aircraft like the q400 have on the VR fps? Also, how about the ORBX Innsbruck scenery?

How acceptable (image quality ) is the 45fps (ASW equivalent half frame generation) mode look on the Pimax 5k+ ?

I am not into q400 (too complicated for me) but I will give it a try. Orbx Insbruck should be no problem as it's less demanding than Amsterdam TrueEarth Netherland. Pimax 5K+ does not have ASW (yet), but at 45fps it's quite playable. I suspect they have implemented some kind of partial ASW of their own, but they will push forward something called "brainwarp" in the future.

I have an Odyssey OG and Pimax 8K/5K+, and I should say they are not in the same league, resolution and FOV wise. My understanding is that Odyssey+ will have zero SDE, but SDE is not an intruding issue of Pimax either. The effective resolution is significantly higher on 5K+. 8K has almost the same effective resolution as Odyssey OG, or just a bit higher than the latter, but it's SDE is smaller. And the FOV, it's no comparison. FOV and resolution matter for flight sim more than other VR apps.

I am one of the early testers. I suggest you go for 5k+. While it improves on all kinds of VR gaming, it especially benefit flight sim and car sim.

Here is my review, and it's based on Aerofly FS 2: http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/5k-or-8k-my-…n-floor-28/8249

Pimax 5K+ is especially a heavenly match for Aerofly FS 2, as FS 2 is so optimized to run on it smoothly. I have almost achieved 90 fps in the most computer demanding scenery at max graphic setting with moderate overclocking of 9900K and 2080Ti: Good news: I almost achieved 90 FPS with Orbx TrueEarth Netherland on Pimax 5K+

My guess is that FS 2 might even be able to handle 8KS, but I am already very contenede with 5K+ with it.

My computer rig: 9900K, ZOTAC RTX 2080 Ti, 36G DDR4-3600, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite mainboard.

Pitool 1.0, SteamVR 60%, 2984X2549

Pimax 5K+

Previous setup and test result with Aerofly FS 2 and X-plane: http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/its-here-208…with-9900k/8889

Last time I ran Aerofly FS 2 with stock clock of 9900K, and the FPS is 76. The graphics is all maxed out except for shadow which is set to medium. The location is Barcelona Airport of Orbx Netherland TrueEarth, the most heavy load DLC of FS 2.

Today I overclocked all cores of 9900K to 4.7ghz with all other settings the same as above, and the FPS is 88.9.

Also I ran X-plane. The location is London City Airport of Orbx TrueEarth UK South, the most heavy load DLC of X-plane. Middle high graphics setting. The FPS is 29.5.

Conclusion: Aerofly FS 2 is the most well optimized flight simulator today. With 9900K and 2080Ti, It can run at 90 FPS with the highest graphics setting in the most complicated scenery on Pimax 5K+. It's obviously making good use of all the cores of the CPU.

Pretty impressive. If "all maxed out" = Ultra on everything and Insane on the shadows, then its amazing.

I'm not familiar with SteamVR SS. Does 40% mean 40% of full or +40% i.e. ~ 140%

Then there's the VR setting in FS2. Is that on 1.0 ?

Surely you get occasional loading stutters in the Netherlands like I do?

Yes all ultra. Aerofly FS 2 is crazy. I played X-plane on medium setting and the framerate is 20 something with Orbx TrueEarth UK South ( yet it's still playable).

As for the SteamVR setting, it's complicated as it's working side by side with Pimax PiTool, and the the factor is changing with each PiTool version. You can check this thread for the actual resolution with my settings: http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/its-here-208…ane-11-fps/8889

i know you've provided info before but so its definitive could you post a screenshot for your settings of 'max'? Inc. s/s. I presume you don't mean over Netherlands? I get occasional stutters on ultra & 1.7 over Netherlands with Rift on 1080ti.

I wonder is there a definitive non-subjectve way of assessing how well a vr headset is performing under defined conditions? FPS doesn't seem adequate especially as it excludes block cultivation loading stutters.

By "max" I mean in-game graphics settings of FS2 all maxed out.

It's Orbx TrueEarth Netherland, Amsterdam Intl Airport, My computer is I7 4790K@4.2, 32g. The older video card is Asus GTX 1080 Strix.

PiTool 1.5 SteamVR SS 40% 1080: 36 2080Ti: 48

PiTool 2.0 SteamVR SS 40% 1080: 30 2080Ti: 42

The framerate may not look optimal, but the actual experience is quite smooth and very playable. That's the reason why I am suspecting that Pimax may have already implemented some sort of "brainwarp".

That's with my old 4790K. Yesterday my 9900K arrived. I run the same scenery and the framerate jumped to around 76, without any overclocking. There are more potentials.

We all love Aerofly FS 2 and we all know it is great, and we all know there are several important things missing: ATC, weather, road traffic, etc. We also know IPACS has limited hands and we shouldn't expect every wish realized at once. Should there be priorities? Maybe someting should be concentrated first? But that might lead to more disputes, as everybody has his own priority. So I am just suggesting my own preference, which is 3D water. Here is the reason: I think the static water is the most inconsistent element in the FS world. The graphics of FS 2 is so beautiful that it is easily a generation ahead of all other competitors, yet its water is even uglier than FSX. The more I think about it, the more I feel this is something that should be given more priority.

Let's see it from another perspective: VR. FS 2 is the most VR friendly flight sim. That's one of its biggest selling point. We know VR is born for sim and it's the future of sim, even if it might not be the future of all games. Now here comes the problem: VR magnifies the ugliness of static water to the unbearable degree. By next year headsets of higher resolution will come, and the problem of static water will be further be magnified, and it will be more incompatible with the 3D virtual world. So if you believe in VR, we'd also believe in 3D water.

If we believe in 3D water, then it would be better to implant it sooner than later. The world of FS 2 is expanding, with big player such as Orbx and Aerosoft. If we have to convert every DLC for the realization of 3D water, we'd better do it now to save time and resource in the future.

My observation of SDE of different headsets: Pimax 8K > Pimax 5K > =(slightly better than) Samsung Odyssey = Oculus Go > Oculus CV1 > HTC Vive.

Pimax 5k has significantly enhanced the visual of Aerofly FS 2 compared with Samsung Odyssey which is already a step up from CV1/Vive. You don't have to lean forward to read the instruments now. 5K has only dual 2K panels, and dual 4K will be nirvana for flight simmers I am sure.

frui,

Thanks for all the feedback! We all wish we had your system.

What settings for PiTool have you decided on for AFS2 and is the image clarity - particularly for the outside world - noticeably better than Rift/Vive ?

Dave W

I am using PiTool 1.5, SteamVR SS 40% (2923x2498)

Yes it's much better than original Rift/Vive in clarity. It's also better than Samsung Odyssey in clarity. For FOV it's no comparison.

I'm a little confused that you are running at 50 fps since I thought we were told that there isn't any support for ASW (Rift) or "Spacewarp" ability to handle half rates yet. You should see stutter when you move your head rapidly if "ASW" or equivalent isn't available since the performance is lower than 90fps .

I would like you to please try some lesser scenery - like maybe Orbx Monterey - and a simpler aircraft like the Jungmeister and try to get 90fps for some smooth aerobatics. I really want to be encouraged to get the Pimax 5K+ . Also, what SuperSampling value are you using and how much "clearer" is the far away image than a Rift/Vive - how much SDE do you experience?

Dave W

I think Pimax already has a partially working "brainwarp" to smooth things out now.

No worry. Pimax can handle 90 fps for most sceneries of Aerofly FS 2 at medium settings.

frui,

I'm a little confused about your poor Pimax 5k+/8K performance since others are reporting much better performance with DCS which we all know to be much slower than AFS2. This video discusses at length - particularly at 6:50 or so:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Also, it appears that the equivalent of Rift ASW is not available for Pimax yet? We will need it.

I was using much higher pitool setting than SweViver (1.5 and 2.0), and I am using the most demanding DLC of Aerofly FS 2: TrueEarth Netherland Amsterdam Airport. Everything in my FS 2 is maxed out, and I got over 50 fps. Also my CPU is 4790K, but I do have one better component than him: 2080 Ti.