Posts by kenventions

What VR headset and graphics card are you using? You may have a driver issue if you haven't updated your graphics driver in awhile.

Last year I had the same kind of miniature problem with a different flight sim IL-2 but it was due to their code not working well with WMR headsets (Samsung Odyssey, etc). They have since fixed the problem.

The VR view should "feel" like you are sitting in your car - otherwise something isn't configured correctly.

A few challenges I ran into when using the OSM data for radio towers:

1) multiple radio stations on the same tower result in 2 OSM entries with the same lat/lon - this can be due to the station broadcasting on both AM & FM or ownership has changed over the years so you could have 3 entries for 3 different owners for the same tower (= TOC tower might not show/flicker, or multiple 3D tower objects)

2) OSM data is stale so a tower entry exists but the tower was removed or was wiped out by a hurricane

3) there's no height data for the OSM towers, you can guess based on some of the tower description attributes (-AM taller than -FM but some don't have this detail) random is risky because some short towers are near airports so creating a random tall one looks out-of-place. When I manually place them I use vfrmap.com to get the location and height of current towers.

4) tower lighting is also height dependent (short towers = steady red, tall = flashing once every 2 sec) and you don't want all the lights flashing in sync (only close towers should flash together)

The only issue is that in my testing the size value has no impact on the 3d objects

I disagree as I did some testing with the Miami City Skyline, which is one massive tmb object that's a 10-mile long string of buildings. The DLC has SIZE=50000 (~31 miles) for the Miami Skyline TSC file. If you completely exit out of AF2, and start from a location outside of this 31 mile radius, you won't see the downtown skyline until you fly inside this radius.

So IPACS gets you into the cockpit for that first flight as quick as possible by 1) only loading the nearby TSC files into memory, and 2) keeping the SIZE values small. However, to avoid major landmarks from "popping" into view, they increase the SIZE value significantly.

If you change locations several times during the same session, I believe those additional TSC files are loaded / added into memory and the previous TSC files remain in memory. I'm not sure what happens once your memory is full - I'm guessing some of the data gets cached into storage (SSD / HDD).

Here is the TSC spacing IPACS used in the South Florida DLC.

Red dots = TOC only TSC files with SIZE = 5000 (dot-to-dot spacing is approx 30 km)

Blue crosses = Airport TSC files with SIZE = 5000

Squares = non-airport TSC files with 3D objects, GREEN has SIZE = 5000, BLACK has SIZE = 25000 for keybridge_02 and 50000 for Miami City Skyline

I think scenery will be streamed on the fly

I agree ... and I'm guessing IPACS believes this too ... so maybe the little guys still have a chance because if the big guy is focused on all of this cloud-streamed technology to create auto-scenery on the fly, the little guys might come out with some unique / cool ATC stuff the big guy doesn't have yet - and yes, I'm a glass-is-half-full person 8)

I like the elevated interchange - they make cities look more realistic. Maybe some day we'll be able to autogen these using OSM data. It will be interesting to see what FS2020 does with interchanges.

Time flies! and so does the Shuttle ...

It's been just 1 month since we launched the Apollo-50 project and over 700 people have given it a try! Hopefully you've had time to explore all of the Apollo-11 highlights including launch, orbit, the moon, re-entry, and splashdown. If you haven't encountered the night-time launch (Apollo-17 was the only one), be sure to check it out 8)

You may have also seen the Space Shuttle ready for launch, or on a 747 - did you know there's also one in orbit? ... It's tough to find, and like re-entry, it's best to look just after sunset - good luck!

One of my favorite points of interest in the Apollo-50 project is the re-entry & splashdown area.

It turns out that once the Command Module descended below 60,000 feet, it had very little remaining horizontal speed and was falling at a terminal velocity of about 230 mph (370 km/h) until it reached 24,000 feet when the drogue chutes were deployed. It then descended at approx 124 mph (200 km/h) until 10,000 feet when the main chutes were deployed. The remaining descent to splashdown was at 22 mph (35 km/h).

If you haven't visited this area yet, it's worth the trip 8)

Animated re-entry capsule ...

There was a "black moon" on Wednesday July 31st (2nd new moon of the month) which reminded me of our Apollo-50 project at night - if you haven't tried it with the city lights on yet, give it a try this weekend! The guys did a nice job with all the airport lighting and many of the custom buildings, etc 8)

For the best night time viewing, adjust your FS2 time to just after sunset. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

I briefly saw Mike Collins (Apollo 11 Command Module pilot) at the Oshkosh EAA Airshow Friday night (July 26th) - it was Oshkosh's 50th anniversary too!

The place was packed for Collins' 8-10pm talk and he got a loud, standing-ovation welcome when he was introduced 8)

CHALLENGE - Try to find his Command Module + Service Module in FS2 high-altitude orbit

If you can imagine where the Saturn V rocket would be after 100 seconds of flight, arching out over the Atlantic ocean - then you're looking in the right place (hint - only the F-15 can find it). You'll also get a great view of the entire Apollo-50 project on your way back down 8)