Posts by GrahamD

Just a thought. I would have thought that those existing specs should run AFS2 fairly comfortably (maybe not flawlessly), have you checked for anything else that might affect performance? Of course, if you are running a Pimax or HP Reverb (or Index at 144 Hz), you might need a more powerful GPU. I always thought that one of the attractions of AFS2 was that you did not need a supercomputer to run it in VR (unlike certain other flight sims).

Holy guacamole batman! Here is a great video comparison of the Pimax 8K X vs HP Reverb

I agree with comments that the camera is probably in the wrong place for the Reverb, but that does mirror pretty much exactly what I see; blurry edges and bad chromatic aberration, so I guess my eyes are in about the same place. As far as performance is concerned, I use the Reverb at work (not for AFS2) with an I9 9900K and Titan RTX (oh to have that system at home), but the clarity issues are the same. But I'm obviously in the minority, so don't let my experience put anyone off the Reverb; I just wish it had moveable lenses.

Yep, you are a un-lucky guy I think. I have running VRfps running in the cockpit to check it all in real time. Frame-time of the CPU/GPU and more important, the actual use of Ram AND Vram. If you think that I am telling ferry tales? Fine, good luck with it. Is the Reverb perfect? NO... It's still a Scuba Diving Glass looking thru due to the POV and the cable is not a perfect solution. The fact that you have minor performance although you have the right hardware, indicates that there is something wrong in your overall setup or your individual headset. Don't know if you have ORBX TE-The Netherlands for Aerofly. Is so, please try to make a approach at EHAM en come back with your experience on a normal 1080 and Ohh, before I forget, between my GTX 1060-6Gb and the Titan XP, there was the new RTX2070-Super with 8Gb VRAM I have tested for a week and I was very disappointed about the performance upgrade in Xplane11-P3dv45 AND Aerofly. Remember... the 2070-Super is in lot's of games as fast as the older 1080ti... (but hé, still missing the 3Gb Vram). Just my 2 cents....

I don't htink you are telling fairy tails at all! What I meant was that it could be the extra processing power of your Titan Xp, rather than the extra VRAM. We don't know how AFS2 allocates and releases memory, but it would make sense to use the largest texture cache that the GPU would permit; there's no way of knowing how much of that cache is being accessed. But going back to my original comments, I tried the Reverb on AFS2, but was dissappointed by the optics, so it was not worth me tinkering too much to get the best performance.

If I could have the inside-out tracking of the Rift S, FOV of the Index and resolution of the Reverb I would be happy! I'd be surprised if AFS2 actually needs 10GB VRAM, as I have it running smoothly on my 90Hz Acer headset (GTX 1080) and the extra VRAM needed for the increased size frame-buffer is nominal. I haven't measured the framerate, but it's certainly fluid. I had thought, after optimising it for the Reverb and going back to the Acer, that it was stuttering a bit. It turned out that I had left my R-22 at high altitutde in the Swiss Alps, where I was flying at full collective and ignoring the over-torque warning, giving it the shakes. Well I think that was the cause anyway and it certainly seemed to stop when I reduced the collective. The fact that you are seeing 10 GB VRAM allocated, does not necessarily mean that it is all being accessed,; there may be some sort of memory management that only clears textures when available memory is running low.

Back to the Reverb, it seems like I am in a minority and I put it down to the fact that I could not get into the sweet-spot. That being said, although I did not notice a huge leap in immersion with AFS2, for some reason The Blue looked aboslutely amazing; it suddenly felt like the water was much clearer. I'll have to give it another go on AFS2 sometime. It's a shame I can't run it on my work system (used for 3D X-ray imaging); i9 9900K, 64GB RAM and Titan RTX, that should do it!

The stuttering was never much of an issue and I'm sure a bit of time with the settings would have sorted it out. The problem really lies in the shape of my head, but that's not so easily tweaked (can't find the slider for eye-to-skull distance). That's why I like the Index design where you can move the lenses to adjust both IPD and lens to eye distance. I'll keep fiddling with the Reverb as I use it at work, though not for AFS2. I'll never get an Index at home as I don't want to install lighthouses in my living room, so hoping that either they use those cameras to implement inside-out tracking or someone else copies their mechanical design.

I have the Reverb also and tested in TE Netherlands with my old rig (Sandy Bridge from 2011 2600K with GTX1060 6Gb) and was working well. Now I have a new rig (i5-9600K and a Titan-X) and it goes Super with a big S so I think you have a setting or setup not correct. In de WMR windows10 setting you must have set your Reverb at Highest image (beta) and be sure to set at 90Hz. I am using the Aerofly Beta version with Vulcan but tried also in the normal GL version. Vulcan is much better but a little unstable with high speed planes like the F18 and F15. 6 months ago I tested a Samsung Odyssey 1.0 and was horrible compared to the Reverb. It;s also important to have the latest Win10 1903 version with updates. Oh, by the way, I found out that approaching EHAM was also a problem with my old rig and also on my new one with a RTX2070-Super 8Gb version... The Titan I have now have no problem BUT... It's using nearly 10Gb Vram in the EHAM area... That's the reason why beefy systems cripple with these combo. Happy landings....

I've just noticed that the stuttering is there with my old Acer headset. When I tried the Reverb, I switched to Steam beta and adjusted the settings to what others had suggested. Somehwere along the line, I introduced the stutter and will have to retrace, I would not have expected such a problem as in the past I had had AFS 2 running on a GTX 970. I'm sure I could fix stuttering with the Reverb, but the physical design did not work for me. What I like on the Index (I have not tried it yet) is that you can not only adjust IPD, but also eye-to-lens distance. This will be an essential feature for my next headset.

I have an Acer WMR headset and my biggest gripe with that is the small FOV. It's not that it doesn't render a decent FOV, you just can't see it unless your eyes stick out of your head. I borrowed a Reverb to see how it worked with AFS2 and whether it was worth shelling out the cost. My comments here are just for balance, I don't want to pour cold water on the opinions of others, but I was quite dissappointed. For me, it was sharp in the central region only and maybe this very clarity made the outer fuzineess stand out even more. It was the same with Chromatic aberration. It was there with the Acer headset, but I could ignore it; somehow with the Reverb it was a real distraction. Strangely, the SDE was just as noticeable as with the Acer headset (which was LCD). It was finer, but still there, and I didn't notice an immediate difference in the readability of instruments (only tried the R-22). The FOV was not any different either. My overall impression was that the flying experience did not change much, so not worth the upgrade for me. Perhaps my dissappointment was because I had had such high expectations, but I would certainly advise against an irreversable purchase. That said, it's great to see that others have a much better experience with the Reverb, which again shows that it's worth trying. Sorry if my comments are repeated, I couldn't remember which forum I posted on.

My IPD is around 64 mm, so pretty optimal. However, I suspect that my eyes are set back a bit further than normal as I tend to get a smaller fov than others (I think you would have to be bug-eyed to get the full fov). One thing I like about the Index is the ability to move the lenses closer. On the Quest, I can see the edges of the display if I remove the padding.

Oh nooooo. And I thought I'd settled on my decision. I was basically just waiting for Amazon UK to stock it so I had an easy return option. I agree though that lenses are critical. Its funny with all this hope pinned on foveated rendering as it already seems a shame to use so much GPU to generate pixels outside the tiny sweet spot of most HMDs as they're currently very blurry when you glance across with your eyes.

I really don't know now whether I can justify a step up from Odyssey to Index. Same pixel count, but RGB stripe v OLED, so 50% more actual pixels but greyer LCD v OLED. The extra FOV would be nice but opinions on that are very mixed. Lenses are better but again that's subjective.

Unfortunately, things like sweet spot, clarity and fov depend on head shape, so everyone's experience is different; nevermind the fact that it's all subjective anyway. I just threw my opinion into the mix of all those others that are out there and am glad that I had the opportunity to try it first. It was certainly a step up, just not worth the investment for me, especially as it would involve a GPU upgrade, which in turn would involve a PSU upgrade.

I got a new Reverb for work (Titan RTX) and tried it on my home system to see if it was worth buying one for myself (GTX 1080). Fortunately for my bank balance, I was quite disappointed. It was certainly better than my Acer WMR headset, but I didn't immediately feel like I was using a completely new Sim. The experience was still much the same, albeit clearer in the centre. Colours were better, but I still could not read the instruments in the R22 clearly (didn't have much time to try other aircraft) and the FOV was still small. Chromatic aberration was very noticeable; this may have been more apparent because of the increased resolution. The image was very blurry away from the centre. With TE Netherlands, the 1080 struggled and there was noticeable judder when flying low in built-up areas. This makes me think that we need an improvement in lens design before we will get decent high resolution in VR. Maybe Samsung will crack it with curved displays. I had hoped that the Reverb would be a game-changer, but the Index would probably be the best bet (larger FOV without pushing the required specs too much), if only it had inside-out tracking and a smaller price-tag.

I just cut and paste the link in Google Translate; might be worth trying Chrome. I did notice that once a thread started in German, it remained in German, i.e., English or other language speakers were not contributing. I'm not sure how Google would cope with a multi-lingual thread, but I'd like to think that nobody is barred from contributing.

The best thing about the Index (I don't have one) is that you can adjust the eye-lens distance. In my Acer WMR headset, even with no padding at all, the lenses are too far away and I only see the central 75 degrees or so. It's annoying that hi-tech electronics are so limited by poor mechanical design. I created a simple FOV test if anyone is interested, I'd love to hear some results:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-model…95675460fa7b7ca492c1971bd

I'm hoping that future headsets will follow the Index (hoping for something a bit more affordable and with inside-out tracking).

It would be nice to be able to share flightplans (maybe time and weather settings too). That way, when we come across a great screenshot or video we can jump in and take a look for ourselves.

I'm sure many of you have seen this, and sorry if it's been posted before, but this gives a great insight into flying the R22, not to mention how well IPACS have modelled it:

It will be interesting to see if anyone can run the Reverb on a less powerful GPU. I used to run my 1440 X 1440 WMR headset on a GTX 970, with AFS2 being one of the few games that ran smoothly. That being the case, I would expect reasonable performance from a 1080, or even a 1070 with the Reverb.

I love the R22 in AFS2, but would love to have another helicopter, especially one able to explore the likes of Lukla. Sorry if you were hoping to get some information from me, just another "me too."

Until we get even more insane graphics computing power we're stuck with a choice of FOV or clarity. I had always assumed that the wider FOV gave a better sense of immersion, but comments from Reverb owners seem to suggest that clarity also makes a huge difference. It will be interesting to hear from those who can compare the Reverb with the Pimax on which they think gives the better experience; very subjective I know.