F4U gyro and compass fix

• This error has been reported before with no reply on whether a fix is being considered or not. The directional gyro bounces about like a compass and the compass is steady as a rock, like a gyro instrument. Unfortunately the instrument adjustors do not function properly either. The (real) compass instrument does not rotate the twin bar heading bug but swings what should be the compass needle and the (real) directional gyro adjuster is non functional.

Can the false bounce and north/south lively/sluggish action on the (real) directional gyro be turned off via editing the .tmd file? Is " <[float64][MaximumTilt][0.001]> " the bounce control line and is it safe to adjust it to zero or a different value.

If the bounce was turned off the annoying distraction would be partially cured but the rock steady (real) compass would remain. Is there a user alteration that would make the (real) compass bouncy?

// navigation instruments start

// compass

<[magnetic_compass][MagneticCompass][]

<[string8][Body][Fuselage]>

<[tmvector3d][R0][ -0.0378 0.1124 0.7525 ]>

<[float64][MaximumTilt][0.001]>

>

<[input_knob][MagneticCompassKnob][]

<[string8][Input][MagneticCompass.Adjust]>

<[float64][InputValue][1.0]>

>

// heading

<[heading_indicator][HeadingIndicator][]

<[string8][Body][Fuselage]>

>

<[output][HeadingAngle][]

<[string8][Input][HeadingIndicator.MagneticHeading]>

>

<[input_cyclic][DirectionalGyroAdjust][]

<[string8][Input][DirectionalGyroAdjust]>

<[tmvector2d][Range][ 0.0 6.283185 ]>

<[uint][StepSize][0.01745329222]>

>

<[output_free][DirectionalGyroAdjustOutput][]

<[string8][Input][DirectionalGyroAdjust.Output]>

>

<[sender][SenderMagneticHeading][]

<[string8][Message][Aircraft.MagneticHeading]>

>

// navigation instruments end

• What do you mean by 'my F12 is not working today'? This makes no sense at all.

Also, the existing Aerofly FS2 F12 compass was carefully made to replicate its real-world counterpart already, so it's not going to get much better than it already is.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• You can set 'take screenshot' to any key or button and the default is space bar. We always recommend using this internally as opposed to another source anyway.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Hi Jeff (and Jan again)

Jan asked me for a screen pic and I was explaining why I was using a pre major update FS2 F4U cockpit screen capture. The F12 screen capture button occasionally stops working for a short period, a Steam update seems to coincide with it working again. A different screen capture key assignment or a trying a joystick switch selection does not make a difference. It is only a minor issue.

Jan replied initially and seems to understand the point, I’m not moaning about how the compass functions in the various Aeroflies. I know it is really good and it was instrumental in making me deeply enthusiastic about the first class Aerofly aeroplane-realism back in the original FS days.

Jan refered to changing instrument assignment in the software as a possible option. The problem is that the gyro instrument in the real Corsair behaves in the sim as a ‘magnetic_compass’ and the compass instrument in the real Corsair behaves in the sim as a ‘heading _indicator’.

Jan was responding to my (incorrect) suggestion that the .tmd file could be edited to stop the false weighted compass ball pivoting freely on a vertical post in a glass fronted capsule of alcohol action of the actual real world spinning yawing plane gyro in a cage freely rotating in the vertical axis Sperry Directional Gyro, the first instrument at the top of the post.

1940s instruments look different from modern ones, when the Aerofly Corsair was being programmed they got mixed up. The Aerofly Corsair instrument panel has a fundamental error, it does not look right, I know IPACS want their planes to make a first class impression on new reviewers and with new and existing customers.

<[output][HeadingAngle][]

>

<[input_cyclic][DirectionalGyroAdjust][]

<[string8][Input][DirectionalGyroAdjust]>

<[tmvector2d][Range][ 0.0 6.283185 ]>

<[uint][StepSize][0.01745329222]>

>

<[output_free][DirectionalGyroAdjustOutput][]

<[string8][Input][DirectionalGyroAdjust.Output]>

Is this the false adjustment that incorrectly rotates the real world compass needle through a full circle and in single degree increments?

• Don't bother trying to fix it in the tmd, there is more to it than just changing a few values, I'll do it when I got time for it.

We modeled our aircraft according to the photos that we have, there are several panel variants and our is correct in regards to the version we chose. The behavior of the compass and heading indicator might be incorrect and I'll check that out

• Jet-Pack (IPACS) I just wanted to say thanks for your consistently helpful and receptive tone on this forum. Even when comments are critiques or criticisms, such as in this thread, and even when they are sometimes incorrect, I don't think I've ever seen you take on a negative or defensive position in responding to them. It's not easy to do that, so just wanted to highlight it and let you know it doesn't go unnoticed.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Time 12:16 cockpit description.

Kermit's videos are a joy to watch.

Thanks again Jan.