Idaho Scenery (Region 3) v0.9 BETA

• Fantastic scenery! The image quality is top notch. I started out where you recommend in Deep Creek, it's like a mini Grand Canyon. Much more to be explored. Thank you again for the share.

PS: I have the Level 14 files downloaded so far.

You'll want 9-12 to prevent popups. So you may as well have 13, too. 15 is still uploading. I will update when it's done.

And yeah, Deep Creek is just unbelievable. I didn't know it existed until just recently. And that was one of two driving factors to not just get this done but to do it in this high detail. I can fly down low in the canyon in a way that I never could in the real world.

The detail is high enough that I can supplement pilot training in the scenery, and even pre-fly my real-world flights so the real world isn't the first time I've seen something. I just need to figure out objects to add the bridges and power poles.

Edited once, last by K9NSP (August 20, 2021 at 7:18 PM).

• You'll want 9-12 to prevent popups. So you may as well have 13, too. 15 is still uploading. I will update when it's done.

Guess I wrote that wrong. "PS: I have up to the Level 14 files downloaded so far."

I definitely also have 9-13. :)

The detail is high enough that I can supplement pilot training in the scenery, and even pre-fly my real-world flights so the real world isn't the first time I've seen something.

Congrats on the real world flying as well. Sounds like an absolute great experience. Also expensive! ;)

• Guess I wrote that wrong. "PS: I have up to the Level 14 files downloaded so far."

I definitely also have 9-13. :)

Congrats on the real world flying as well. Sounds like an absolute great experience. Also expensive! ;)

Getting here was VERY expensive. But I'm maybe 45 days from the finish line of Commercial and I can finally start letting someone else foot the bill for my flying while actually getting paid to do it.

• This is just an observation as I greatly appreciate ALL the hard work that has gone on behind the scenes to share your wonderful scenery with the community.

Having experience of uploading scenery to share I know it is not an easy task.

Although I have a download speed of 30 MBS, MS One-Drive appears to limit to less than 1 MBS and its taking over 6 hours to download L15-S with errors when unpacking. I have tried downloading several times and got it down to one error file and having to use it as is.

For those with even slower download speeds this may be even be a bigger problem.

Perhaps smaller packages may be the way to go.

It would be interesting if other members have similar experiences.

Best wishes, Michael :)

Edited once, last by IZ0JUB (August 22, 2021 at 2:22 PM).

• I don't have any good answers. I wish OneDrive were faster, and that's why I initially went with DropBox even though it was an extra expense. I'm having a terrible time uploading 15N and I have a Gigabit connection. I may be able to split the larger files into several files using 7zip. But then everyone has to use and understand the process to extract them. But that's why this is a Beta, and why they are in as many packages as they already are. Not everyone will need L15.

• I've been contemplating a physical media distribution. It would not be free since there would be costs and labor involved. But maybe when it's 100% done that would be the way to go. Is anyone interested in this being a paid scenery pack distributed on physical media?

• Although I have a download speed of 30 MBS, MS One-Drive appears to limit to less than 1 MBS and its taking over 6 hours to download L15-S with errors when unpacking. I have tried downloading several times and got it down to one error file and having to use it as is.

15N is up. Let me know how that goes for you. It's possible 15S has errors in the source file.

• Although I have a download speed of 30 MBS, MS One-Drive appears to limit to less than 1 MBS and its taking over 6 hours to download L15-S with errors when unpacking. I have tried downloading several times and got it down to one error file and having to use it as is.

I uploaded a fresh copy of 15S. higgy also reported problems with it. So it was likely a source file problem, not a download problem.

• It would be interesting if other members have similar experiences.

I also had major problems with the download on the weekend. After several attempts and interruptions I managed to download the scenery at least up to level 13. I had to abort level 14 after several attempts.

Today, on the other hand, it worked without any problems right away. Probably the problem is when too many people access it at the same time.

The best way to experience Deep Creek is in a helicopter. Down low.

Now I'm happy and was able to make my first flights with level 14 in this huge area, among other flights also following the Depp Creek Canyon. The canyon is very long and doesn't want to end. So I got a bit of motion sickness ... ;)

There is so much to discover. At this point, many thanks to you K9NSP for your great work!

I also started to implement trees and enhanced bushes for certain areas, makes flying with the helicopter near ground much more fun that way. Will share them with you if you like.

Kindest regards,

Christophe

• I think I have cracked it with a new web browser, "Pale Moon" and an extension called "Get-em All". I have successfully downloaded L14-N and now onto L14-C. Direct downloading from One-Drive was taking 6 hours and the link breaking with errors. Using the new set up its downloading in 2 hours with no errors.

Errors with L14-S

Second attempt on download same errors.

Best wishes, Michael :)

Edited 2 times, last by IZ0JUB (August 24, 2021 at 5:24 PM).

• I also started to implement trees and enhanced bushes for certain areas, makes flying with the helicopter near ground much more fun that way. Will share them with you if you like.

Kindest regards,

Christophe

I removed default trees from the area of Deep Creek because they were all wrong. I'd like to see what you've come up with. There aren't a lot of trees in the Deep Creak area IRL. Mostly just shrubs and tumbleweed.

In other areas, default trees are completely missing, like most of the North area. And especially around McCall. If you have a way to easily add trees, I'd appreciate that very much.

• I removed default trees from the area of Deep Creek because they were all wrong. I'd like to see what you've come up with. There aren't a lot of trees in the Deep Creak area IRL. Mostly just shrubs and tumbleweed.

In other areas, default trees are completely missing, like most of the North area. And especially around McCall. If you have a way to easily add trees, I'd appreciate that very much.

For Deep Creek I only set shrubs and no trees.

I am working with photodetection of the trees and trying for various types of landscapes for devlopement. Certain areas, such as the mountains and valleys, work very well. Where photodetection has its limitations is in distinguishing a forest from lakes and rivers with dark green water (the same goes for the dark green circular fields). Masking the waters on a photo basis is much more efficient than cleaning them up afterwards.

McCall is very difficult in on this point of view and required a lot of effort. But it looks pretty good now:

I have already been flying for a few hours in the eastern mountains, following the valleys with the rivers or roads in low-level flight, which is a lot of fun in VR with the trees.

I will send you a to the extra trees if you want to test them. The coverage of the area is already quite large and includes about 8 level9-tiles. But I won't work on it any further for the time being.

Look forward to your feedback then!

Christophe