Isle of Wight HD Scenery - Trees/Cultivation Performance?

• Hi all,

Is anyone here still using FS2 with IZ0JUB's Isle of Wight HD scenery?

I'm having a problem with the performance of the cultivation files, specifically the trees, compared to using other parts of his scenery for the UK. Adding the 'buildings' folder to '\places' works just fine and FS2 loads and runs perfectly, However, when I add the 'trees' folder, FS2 takes an age to load into the simulation (although it works normally when it finally does) and hangs on shutting the application down. I don't have any similar problems when using cultivation for the rest of the SW/SE of England. I have noticed that the trees used for the cultivation files for the IoW area appear to be different in style/size to the rest of IZ0JUB's cultivation files.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue and knows of a way to fix the problem?

Many thanks!

• Thanks for the reply IZ0JUB.

My current folder structure is '\places\gb\isle_of_white\buildings, trees etc.' and this was chosen because IPACS already have something similar using 'usa' and 'ch' for their scenery. However, as you suggest, I have moved the structure to '\places\cultivation\buildings, trees etc.' and the issue still persists. I get slightly longer load times if I put all of the folders in there (objects, poles etc.) and I understand that this might happen, but if I just put the 'buildings' folder in there alone, load time is almost instant, but as soon as I add the 'trees' then it takes several minutes. The issue doesn't happen if I spawn in the middle of the SW of England though with the tree cultivation in that area.

Does that make sense?

• Did you do this as per the download information on flight-sim.org

IMPORTANT: In my old UK scenery find South East England Part 2 and disable map_09_7f00_aa80 and in South England disable map_09_7e80_aa80 also disable Isle of Wight.:)

Best wishes, Michael :)

• I believe so.

I first downloaded all of the Southwest/Southeast files found here:
    https://flight-sim.org/filebase/index…by-iz0jub-2019/

Then I installed the missing middle section of South England here:
    https://flight-sim.org/filebase/index…-england-files/

Finally I installed the 'uk isle of wight_b_new.zip', 'uk isle of wight_arcgis_2m.zip'and 'uk isle of wight airfields_b.zip' files for the IoW found here:
    https://flight-sim.org/filebase/index…-photo-scenery/

I then deleted the 'map_09_7f00_aa80' and 'map_09_7e80_aa80' from the South East Part 2 and South England folders respectively and couldn't disable the Isle of Wight because there wasn't anything there to start off with before I installed the HD scenery from the last link above.

After that, I just added the 'buidings' and 'trees' folders from the 'fs2 users cultivation, special objects and airfields.zip' into '...\places\cultivation\' folder as you suggested and that's when I get several minutes of sim load time. Removing the 'trees' folder seems to fix this.

Is there a particular folder/sub-folder structure that I need to follow with regard to how my photoscenery is installed in '...\scenery\images\gb\' ?

Cheers for the help!

• Ok, so all I have installed in my Scenery folder now is IPACS included USA scenery, IPACS Switzerland scenery and your Isle of Wight scenery. The folder structure looks like this:

...\scenery\images\ch

--------------------------\gb\map_(xxx)
    -------------------------------\map_(xxx)
    -------------------------------\(etc)

---------------------------\usa

Pressing 'Start' on the main menu results in the sim starting pretty much instantly (1-1.5 secs).

If I now add just the 'trees' folder to 'places' like this:

...\scenery\places\cultivation\trees

and run the sim again, it takes 2m 47s to load until actually flying.
    As a comparison, if I remove the 'trees' folder and add the 'buidings' (SIC) and 'night lights' folders only, the sim loads in 2.98s

So, it looks like something is amiss somewhere, but obviously I appreciate it's difficult to diagnose without having my actual hardware in front of you.

Not to worry, thanks for trying :thumbup:

• Hello Tailwheel,

the problem is to install anything into the IPACS folder itself. Only ipacs own dlc are allowed there.

For AFS2 the allowed loactions are:

some_drive\user_scenery\scenery\images

For this you need to define a user_scenery folder in yourname\documents\Aerofly FS 2\main.mcs file:

i.e. <[string8][extra_user_folder][F:/Geoconvert/user_scenery]>)

or

yourname\documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery\uk isle of wight\images

I admit, that IZ0JUB did not state that clearly in his post on flightsim.org

Cheers, Thomas

• Now I understand the mistake you made with my scenery folders. THANK YOU to TomSimMuc for explaining the correct way to install any add-on scenery. :)

Best wishes, Michael :)

• Thank you TomSimMuc for the clarification on correct folder structure. I have now shifted everything over to a user defined [extra_user_folder] and all is working correctly.

However, the issue still persists with the 'trees' cultivation folder, with sim load time of around 2.5 minutes. If I remove the folder, everything loads within a few seconds. I will keep the trees cultivation removed for the time being and take a look into generating my own files to see if replacing them with new ones improves performance or not.

Many thanks both for the continued assistance.

• Hi all,

Is anyone here still using FS2 with IZ0JUB's Isle of Wight HD scenery?

I'm having a problem with the performance of the cultivation files, specifically the trees, compared to using other parts of his scenery for the UK. Adding the 'buildings' folder to '\places' works just fine and FS2 loads and runs perfectly, However, when I add the 'trees' folder, FS2 takes an age to load into the simulation (although it works normally when it finally does) and hangs on shutting the application down. I don't have any similar problems when using cultivation for the rest of the SW/SE of England. I have noticed that the trees used for the cultivation files for the IoW area appear to be different in style/size to the rest of IZ0JUB's cultivation files.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue and knows of a way to fix the problem?

Many thanks!

You're experiencing performance issues with IZ0JUB's Isle of Wight HD scenery in FS2, mainly related to the trees in the cultivation files. To address this, consider checking for updates, lowering graphics settings, contacting the creator or community for solutions, adjusting cultivation density, checking for conflicts, ensuring your system meets requirements, or trying a reinstall as a last resort. These steps may help improve performance.