Airfields do not appear in A380 flights.

• Trying Fresno and Livermore at dusk on long cross country flights "in" the A380 the airports did not appear. At fresno the plane flew through sand dune like texture and froze with a black cockpit image. At Livermore the airfield appeared as the plane went past the field. I have got the frozen black cockpit several times.
    iPad mini retina "1".

• Flight was lowish vis', about 1/3 from the left of the slider control in 'Conditions'. Time was about 03:30, sun was almost set. Control was manual. From Mono lake climbing towards Mariposa to about 20,000 feet, then descending to about 5,000 feet at 2,000 feet per minute. Passing south east between Chandler and Fresno descending further to turn left to approach to the North West. The nav aids came alive at 3.5 miles but the Fresno airport did not ever appear. The texture looked like orange-pink cloud which was surprising as it looked exactly like the often asked for but declared not possible cloud effects. I did the ILS to minimums with no texture improvement or transformation, just pink "sand dunes" and when the landing configuration 380 went gently into the terrain it passed through the surface and instantly gave a frozen black cockpit view. No menus worked and I had to exit.
    32 thing memory iPad mini retina "1". Not overheated. No background programs running.

• No Navigation or Approach guidance boxes on but the top display with nearest airport distance and direction was on. The view was changing between the captain and first officer seats with a very occasional external view, early on. Speeds were sensible. No wind or thermals. Zoom was set to give reasonable instrument spread, eg first officer view had the #4 engine N1 visible with the attitude indicator speed tape centred.

• I could replicate this issue during beta testing with at least one airport and it wasn't related to the A380, I had it with much smaller aircraft. It seemed to be an issue with the airport and specific approaches and elevation data on that approach.
    I'll try and replicate this at these airports you have mentioned tonight.

• Thank you for this information. How much storage did you have before you did the clean up?

Aerofly 2 is fully installed on your iOS device, so no background downloading is taking place. It might be that your iOS device went out of real RAM and then its using virtual memory which in turn uses your storage space. But this is just a wild guess.

Anyway, your problem is now solved, correct?

• The storage was 32 Gb and the free memory was 2.7 Gb before I cleaned out, after the clean out it went up to 4.6 Gb. I sometimes have SkyVector on in the background or saved screen shots of the SkyVector pages. I did another 380 run into Fresno with low visibility at dawn and the scenery worked perfectly. I did not start in the mountains near Mono lake.
    Perhaps the mountain scenery has an effect. The approach into Salinas which gave a low resolution texture at sea level with higher surrounding land, was via the mountains to the south east. The Livermore airport is surrounded by mountains. Low visibility and sun rise or sun set were selected a lot.
    I have not noticed the effect again.
    Is there a minimum free storage memory requirement when "2" is running?

• A few pictures are worth a thousand words. The simulated flight was from close to a point 11 miles and 357 degrees to Gnoss Field Marin County, to Runway 12 at Oakland on a track of 115 degrees (it was a 11 mile (top display distance) pseudo DME arc from Petaluma and then Gnoss airfields).

This flight was via a reposition on the program's starting location map, from an earlier simulated flight's landed condition, on the ground at Oakland following a take off from Gnoss Field.

There was significant high ground at the start and it was at dawn. I had SkyVector on in the background, nothing else. 32 GB mini retina 1.

The detailed scenery popped up late, like what happened at Livermore. The field is at sea level so there was no surrounding elevated texture like at Salinas.

I hope you find these pics useful.

Edit The HSI was showing the reciprocal heading on "wake-up", the HSI and the nav 1 gauge are 180 out. The popped up scenery seems to lack runway 12/30.

• I'll try that too, it seems not to like the sun low in the sky, lower visibility, high ground, a bit of wind and extensive rate one turns at about 2 or 3 thousand feet AGL. I had thought it was only in the 380 but the Baron was affected too, then again the Baron has the best nav-aids of all the planes. I wonder if the 2 Gig ram machines are immune?
    Mini retina Mk 1.

• Both my current iPads have 2GB but I never saw this on my mini 2. Even though nothing else is running, if you have had lots of apps running since the last restart, closing them out will not free up all the memory that they had been using so a periodical restart is always a good idea when running something memory intensive like AF2.
    Will be worth trying to see if that improves things.

• After a restart and unlimited frame rates selected (to make it a bigger burden). It was always an intermittent phenomenon and I could not find a specific scenario which would guarantee it. I'll try more regular restarts and see what happens. Funny how mobile FS is rock solid but then it has been well matured.

• Actually, I believe unlimited frame cap is to stop more powerful hardware from generating an excessive number of frames which should reduce power consumption. I'm not convinced it should have any impact in this scenario.
    When you mention mobile FS, are you referring to AF1?

• Is Android (mobile) "FS" not called Aerofly 1? Mine in the mini retina is the iOS Aerofly FS. I also have Aerofly 1 and Aerofly 2 on my android phone. I'm so happy with working nav-aids in Aerofly 1 (equivalent to mobile FS) allowing instrument approaches in Switzerland that if my iPad died right now I would get a high spec android tablet. Of course there is no Piper Cherokee/Archer in Aerofly 1 but there is in FS. Aerofly 2 seems similar in Android and iOS but the Android version is often more up to date.
    Just the PC versions to come and I will have six versions of Aerofly!

The multiscreen image on my 747/Livermore post shows my iPad Aerofly icons on the bottom bar. The red pitts is called "Aerofly FS".