Devs - wishlist - Nvidia Simultaneous Multi-Projection

• @Devs,
    I realize that you are already swamped with requests for improvements. I really appreciate the quality and performance of what you have done already. Regarding future performance improvements (making it faster), I hope you are considering using the Nvidia Pascal (1080 or similar) hardware feature called Simultaneous Multi-projection. I don't know how hard it would be to add it as an option for us that love your VR mode. From measurements on my 4.2Ghz PC with an Nvidia 970, each eyepoint view with a 100 deg FOV, seems to take about 4 milliseconds. So doing two for stereo and then using a 1.5 factor Render Scale (which takes about 3.5 msec. ( a 2.0 factor takes over 10 msec on a 970)), that runs to 11.5 msec which corresponds to the 90 fps target for CV1. If the Simultaneous Multi-Projection mode could be activated, it would save one of the 4 msec eyepoint views since they would be done in parallel, and the result would be we could probably increase our Render Scale factor considerably or have more clouds and buildings, etc. Anyway, food for thought. You have the fastest render engine for VR right now (FSX/P3D and DCS World are about half the performance - thus requiring ASW/ATW to help even though the flight sim generates stutters and ghosting in the side views) WarThunder is close in performance but focuses on WWII.

Thanks much for an amazing flight sim

Dave

• Yeah, I read about this Simultaneous Multi-Projection thing. It sounds very promising. I also hope they could implement it. That would be great!

• Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• HiFlyer,
    Thanks for the pointer to the earlier discussion - hope the Devs can trial implement it easily!

BTW, is there any performance difference between Oculus VR or Steam VR execution options? I still have a DK2 and except for the obvious screen door, it works well, runs cool, and provides a little more frame rate headroom (75Hz vs 90 Hz). I really don't want any ASW/ATW to kick in, but I wonder if any of that is actually happening in either Oculus VR or Steam VR for my DK2.

Thanks to all for the expertise shown on the forum and from the Devs

• We took a look at this extension. It looks nice but it requires substantial changes to our rendering approach. We would have further explored this, but the main issue is its only supported on the most current NVIDIA cards. These cards are however already very fast, so other users would not benefit at all.

So for now we decided to put our efforts into other development areas first.

The next Aerofly FS 2 release will improve rendering speed in VR by 10% for Oculus and 20-30% with the Vive, and this is for every user.

• Would it be possible to display a twin image for the cheap people like me to enjoy 3D? If left and right views are reversed a full screen can be viewed using the cross-over method (left eye looks to the right, right eye looks to the left). This takes a little getting used to but it needs no equipment. It would be a bright and full colour alternative to enabling cheap 3D using red-cyan or shutter glasses.

• IPACS Support,
    Thanks for the feedback on the Nvidia SMP mode - too bad it is difficult to use that approach - but I am very glad you thought about it. Keep up the great work and thanks for the additional 10% headroom that is coming. I hope you can add much of the additional functionality that folks want (ATC, AI, ...) by using other cores so that the graphics rendering loop can stay as blazing fast as it is now. Having worked with 60Hz FAA certified simulators for many years at Boeing, I was finding it hard to live with FSX and P3D at 30->40 HZ. Now with 75->90Hz in VR+FS2, the movement is so fluid and immersive because of it. BTW, are we supposed to set MSAA and Aniso ourselves or do you do that?

Thanks again

Dave