Posts by Spit40

Ray, I think they have all been of the same version of headset. It’s just that many were hoping for eye tracking, foveated 4K rendering, and field of view approaching Pimax, but the technology just isn’t ready yet. So an almost doubling of the pixel counts and other features disappointed some reviewers. The Pro is really just what could be done now without a complete overhaul though it does have the new tracking sensors that can use either 1.x or 2.x version Lighthouse base stations.

The true gen 2 headsets are going to need a lot to come together and work properly to pull off. First is just bandwidth. Those pixels at 90 fps at too much higher resolution have to be calculated and shipped to the headset which is already difficult on long, thin, flexible cables that can withstand being stepped on or sent wirelessly. There’s going to have to be on the fly compression and expansion of some sort. Eye tracking and foveated rendering will need to be there to reduce GPU and CPU loads, and it will probably be needing GPU driver support to work most efficiently so coordination with GPU manufacturers is probably in there too. Maybe even optimized silicon to do it right.

What we are getting is a resolution increase that is enough to really address the thing flight simulators have the most difficulty with - text and gauges. The big increase in text readability is something everyone mentions in Pro reviews and where GPS and comm radio displays are tough to read now, it should make a big difference. I’ve not seen anyone specifically say that yet, but it stands to reason from the way reviewers have described it. And the differences where the Pro has had through the lens video are to me stunning. There’s one video where a dev got their Pro, put it on, and just started saying "oh wow, oh wow" and commenting on how much more detail he could see. It won’t be perfect and it isn’t gen 2, but some reviewers were expecting way too much I think. Sure, Pimax is trying to run at "8k" but it’s LCD, they are having trouble hitting 90 Hz, they are upscaling lower resolution images, their lensing has issues, and they are behind schedule with no announced ship date. I don’t mean to bash Pimax by any means. I’m just saying with the choices being a much needed bump in resolution that has significant benefits now, vs. true gen 2 that nobody has even announced and isn’t expected by many for at least another year, I’ll go for the headset I’ll be able to get in the next month or two.

There are folks on this forum using the Samsung Odyssey right now which has the same OLED resolution as the Vive Pro. What we really need is someone with an Oddysey who has used a Vive or Rift with FS2 previously, to find out how much clearer they are finding the instrument panel.

Many thanks. Yes I did find a way similar to yours.

1. Make a big mesh that covers everything
    2. Make a cube that is runway shape length/width (like you did) and about 10metres high
    3. Place it so it goes through the mesh
    4. Boolean > Knife and cut away
    5. It gives 2 meshes but you can do repeated cutouts this way
    6. Adding texture to the new cutout mesh is a little funny. I need to do a texture remap top for some reason. I'm not sure what it is about meshes made this way

I think people would find it easier than Rodeo 's original version as you can draw your box to exactly fit the runway and there's no vertex/surface picking. I reckon you could even make polygons for the exits this way. Might be worth another video.

Stereo Mix Out never worked for me. I thought it was a bit soundcard specific.

Afaik AFS2 doesn't 'support' density etc. right now? Afaik you can for instance fly the C172 at FL300 without problems: it performs just as well at sea level as at an airliner's cruising altitude.

Not sure that's been my experience. Flying around Denver in C172 I switched aircraft midflight as I couldn't make it over some of the mountains. Maybe I was doing something else wrong?

But I don't have an automatic solution as well, only a hand made.

In theory we should have just 1 mesh level without overlapping polygons.

The runways are holes in the outside mesh, and the 2 outside meshes have to be merged into a single one.

That is still useful to know thanks. It narrows down the problem. So I can have 2 runway objects but I need to merge the meshes.

If I have made 2 runways like these below is there a fairly mechanical way (I can write a script if I know the process) I can merge them to generate a single AC3D model of an airport with overlapping runways? I need a way that doesn't involve hand tweaking. Anybody please? I'm pretty new to AC3D.

This can be a really cheap upgrade to your VR experience. See below. For Power supply for amp any old laptop PSU is likely to work as these amps have a wide input range. Around 19v is ideal. I still haven't checked if VB Banana can do frequency filtering so I've included the analogue option for that.

The nice thing about a physical gain/filter is that you can mount it near you and adjust it while in VR.

John,

Can you tell us more about the cheapo amp and bass shaker. Maybe even some Amazon part numbers. If I can get some bass for $65 I am all for giving it a try. I would love to have a low end Buttkicker type setup and still have a Ben Franklin in my pocket. Anything else that needs to be purchased to make it work.

Regards,

Ray

I suspect John is on Vive/2D otherwise if Rift this discussion needs to include audio splitting. My parts list is this:

1. 2 x "Body Shaker" £15.95 each in the UK off Amazon
    2. 1 x 100W amp approx £15 - £20 off Amazon/Ebay but requires 12v or 24v source at that price
    3. You can buy a 24V PSU, but I actually power mine off an old laptop PSU, as you don't usually need precise voltage for these
    4. A way to send the audio to both Rift headphones and audio output. Get "Voicemeeter Banana" as free download and make a pseudo audio output and configure it to send 1 output to Rift and 1 to Audio/amp as below
    5. I also got a £5 attenuator/bass filter for the basshsakers as the tone controls on the amp weren't enough, but I think the EQ option on voicemeeter could do that for you. I'd need to test.

Is there any news on this? I tried to create a TSC file manually but no luck :(

Hi,

Progressing well. At this very moment i'm uploading 75,500 pregenerated runways of different lengths, widths and orientations to a server - oh, to explain, i decided to include airport models as an option with the TSC file. I just need to tidy a few things and i can make it public. 2-3 weeks perhaps.

Phil

but people seem to be using it with VR, so do you think they are not using the rift headphones?

I spent months on this issue of mirroring rift headphones signal to bass-shaker. SteamVR, various apps, Realtek h/w options. The only reliable thing I found was this:.. EDIT: I don't know why the forum s/w keeps deleting this link??

You get a new virtual output, which you send your game output to. This output is control by the s/w and sends the signal to both Rift and to bass-shaker, AND you can have differential volume control which is useful as normal FS2 audio is fairly quiet.