Posts by nickhod

Hi jpx,

Thanks for the bug report. I'll take a look over the next couple of days.

I look for a header in Bing results that should tell me if the tile is missing. Maybe it's not present in the data around St. Malo and I need to detect a solid black or white square instead.

Good video thanks. :thumbup:

I think the tracking is a really positive move forward and I'm pleased to see it getting good reviews. I'm sure inside-out is the future of tracking, no one wants to mess with mounting sensors in corners of rooms.

Not so sure about the halo design, lack of good integrated earphones, 80Hz, no manual IPD adjustment.

A high res screen would have just about sold me, but it doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade otherwise.

Think I'll skip this one and wait patiently for the next Rift.

It seems to me this IS the "rift 2". The Rift S is a big disappointment yet this HP looks uncannily like the old Rift just much better spec. SOMEBODY please solve foveated rendering though so we can power all these pixels and still max out FS2 settings.

From what I heard, they axed the real Rift 2 project (causing one of the original founders to quit) and outsourced this Rift 1.5 to Lenovo. I can kind of see why; those who can invest in a GTX 2080, a top end PC and a new headset are a pretty small market. Disappointing none the less.

The inside out tracking on the Rift S looks good, they just needed a Rift S+ variant with a 4k screen.

These guys did solve foveated rendering, at least better than anyone else is doing it. Downside is that it costs $6k :)

https://varjo.com/for-simulation-training/

Love seeing these! I would totally build a home cockpit if I had (a) the space (b) a wife willing to put up with any more of my unfinished projects.

My "home cockpit" is an Ikea fold up chair, cushion, a foldable stand for my yoke and the Oculus Rift. I'll not bother with pictures :)

Maybe when the kids move out I can have a VR room. 14 years to go. We might have real weather in AFS by then ;)

The earlier Versions worked with my proxy settings for windows 10. In the actual version 1.0.1 i get no previews and downloads for google and bing maps.

I have to delete my proxy settings an open the needed ports for direct internet access on my firewall. Did you change something in this case?

Google and bing itself are working fine with proxy settings.

Nothing has changed, but I didn't add any support for using a proxy in any version. I'll take a look.

Hi Nick

exception trying to restitch when ortho image files had been deleted.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Thanks. Will add to the 1.1 todo list

In the X-Plane world, there are two main scenery creation apps: Ortho4XP and World2XPlane

The rationale for keeping apps like that separate is content licensing and target users.

Lots of people need to use an AeroScenery / Ortho4XP type tool as orthophotos can't be redistributed easily.

Cultivation / autogen, on the other hand, can be redistributed. In the X-Plane world it very much is with certain sites providing high quality pre-made autogen for many parts of the world. There's no need for most X-Plane users to bother creating their own autogen.

After giving it some thought, I feel like cultivation generation is always going to be a power user feature, with regular users just downloading pre-made cultivation.

With that said, to generate my cultivation I built a homemade tool call Cultivation Compiler. It's a re-implementation of World2XPlane for Aerofly.

It's not ready for prime-time yet, but I hope to release it at some point this year (with a GUI).

A GUI wrapper around Scenproc and OSM2Object would definitely help some people out, but I just can't take that on personally at the moment.

(Unless someone hires me to work on this stuff full time :))

With the GeConvert concurrency control in 1.0, I don't see why install cannot be part of the standard workflow.

Here's the scenario I was concerned about:

In one AeroScenery job:

1) User downloads a level 14 size at ZL 19 tile and geoconvert at level 14.

2) User downloads a level 9 size tile at ZL 17 and geoconverts at levels down to 14.

Here the tiles from (2) will overwrite the tiles from (1), which isn't what's wanted.

AeroScenery installs into a folder named after the level 9 tile that each tile belongs (if that makes sense).

This is to stop your install folder filling up with duplicates. (I don't even know how AFS handles duplicates).

After thinking this through for a while, I decided to just let the user manage it.

In theory, yes, you could write some code that works out what to install after everything is generated, but it's not simple.

Nick, I was trying out 1.0.1 last night and noticed the INSTALL SCENERY option was greyed out (can't check the box). I updated the path in the SETTINGS but still no luck. Any ideas?

This was my mistake. Install scenery is done via the map toolbar. I meant to remove the greyed out option.

As TomSimMuc pointed out though, it would be better to allow multiple selected squares to be installed, and that's on the list for 1.1

Well, actually the idea of doing it in C++ was mainly because the example DLL was written in C++. If you happen to do a DLL wrapper in C#, I'll gladly take a look at it.

What I mean is that you can do a very simple plugin DLL in C++ that takes weather information and sets it in the sim, do the GUI and everything else in C# and make them talk with some kind of IPC (named pipes, UDP, TCP, shared memory).

You could even keep your existing Node GUI with that method.

The wrapper would be for writing the logic of AF plugin itself in C#. You don't necessarily need it to do some of this in C# or Node.

Windows GUI programming in C++ isn't much fun, so just throwing that out there.

So JoinFS is super awesome for multiplayer in X-plane. Dropped the developer a line yesterday.

https://pmem.uk/joinfs/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=855

Hope we will get multiplayer some day. Either natively in AF2 or through an add-on like this.

IPACS would need to add the ability to render and animate another aircraft via a plugin.

I really hope they do at some point.

That would open up a whole world of possibilities including virtual ATC like VATSIM and IVAO.

1. C++ desktop application (I am working on that - this will be way smaller than the NodeJS desktop application)
    2. C++ DLL (integrates right into Aerofly FS 2)

I like the idea of a dynamically updating weather app.

Why not save yourself the hassle of C++ and do a C# GUI app?

I've been meaning to write a C# wrapper example for an Aerofly Plugin, it'd probably be useful for several applications.

Hi Nick

When I installed V1.0.1 and ran it the first time it patched up the folder names for the current working folder.

The problem is that I have a second working folder for another scenery area and I can't get it to patch the folder names for the second working folder.

Hi Stu,

I didn't think about the scenario where someone might have multiple working folders that they swap between.

You'll find that AeroScenery has fixed all the database entries, so running the process again within AeroScenery wont solve this.

If you can hold on for a few days I'll put together a quick command line application that renames all folders within a given folder, which should solve things for you.

Many thanks Nick for all your hard work and your latest release. Did you have any success with Arcgis.com as an alternative satellite server provider?

Over the years GE and Bing have become very poor quality.

Cheers, Michael.

I'm going to add Arcgis as an orthophoto source in version 1.1, which will be out in a couple of weeks rather than months.

I changed waaay too much stuff in one version for 1.0. Not doing that again. :)

As far as I can tell, Arcgis is quite often using Bing (DigitalGlobe) imagery at high zoom levels, but I'm sure there are some areas that are better.

I'm opening a new thread for AeroScenery releases as the last one has started to get unwieldy.

After some beta testing by the good people on here I'm pleased to announce that AeroScenery 1.0.1 is now available.

Download here : https://github.com/nickhod/aer…oad/1.0.1/AeroScenery.msi

New Features In 1.0.1

On-the-fly Image Processing

You can now have AeroScenery adjust the sharpness, brightness, contrast etc of the image tiles that you're about to convert

Sequential GeoConvert Execution

AeroScenery now detects when GeoConvert is done, kills the GeoConvert process and starts the next one.

This means that multiple GeoConvert instances wont be started at once.

Install Scenery

Install scenery to your Aerofly My Documents folder or configured external user folder from with AeroScenery. No more copy and paste

Fast Delete

Clean up downloaded tiles with a super-fast, low level grid square folder cleanup feature

Grid Square Sizes 9 - 14

Select any grid square size from 9 - 14. Choose what fits your project best

Fixed Grid Square Hex Names

Previous version got the hex names of grid squares wrong. They are now correct in this release.

Xml File Based Config

No longer registry based.

Configurable Orhotphoto Source Urls

It's now possible to change the url templates for orthophoto tile download from the config, if a certain server is down or faster for you.