Posts by lenidcamper

While on the topic of [extra_user_folder]

Deploying a scenery package for foo under the the Documents folder yields the following structure

->Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery\foo\images\a.ttc

->Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery\foo\images\b.ttc

->Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery\foo\images\...

->Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery\foo\places\foo.toc

->Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery\foo\places\foo.tsc

->Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery\foo\places\...

One benefit of this structure (in the absence of a scenery manager tool) is the ability to disable images or places

on a per scenery package level by hash tagging the the image or places folder

->Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery\foo\#images\a.ttc

->Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery\foo\#images\b.ttc

->Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery\foo\#images\...

->Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery\foo\places\foo.toc

->Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery\foo\places\foo.tsc

->Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery\foo\places\...

However if you want to move the scenery packages off C: drive

using [extra_user_folder] the corresponding hierarchy does not work

E:\Aerofly\MyScenery\scenery\foo\images\a.ttc

E:\Aerofly\MyScenery\scenery\foo\images\b.ttc

E:\Aerofly\MyScenery\scenery\foo\images\...

E:\Aerofly\MyScenery\scenery\foo\places\foo.toc

E:\Aerofly\MyScenery\scenery\foo\places\foo.tsc

E:\Aerofly\MyScenery\scenery\foo\places\...

However the following structure does work

E:\Aerofly\MyScenery\scenery\places\foo\foo.toc

As well as

E:\Aerofly\MyScenery\scenery\places\foo\places\foo.toc

but does prevent

E:\Aerofly\MyScenery\scenery\places\foo\#places\foo.toc

to disable a package presumably since the "places" token has already been detected in the path

Is there a reason these Documents and [extra_user_folder] hierarchies need to be different?

Returning to Phil's original question about cultivation from photoscenery, I thought I'd just put down in writing my own experience so far. However, before I carry on, I must first give credit to Dave whitav8, who made me realise that this was do-able and gave me some lines of script to put into ScenProc.

Thanks Ian (and Dave whitav8) for the instructions for tree detection. I had initially missed the connection of the INF file and was getting zero trees detected.

But now I am getting very pleasing results. Working with the histogram filter on Virtual Earth images gives quite realistic detection.

I tried a number of test tiles with OSM cultivation for trees but found it a lot of effort updating the forest polygons to account for meadows and scrub in the actual tree coverage.

I find the detection and auto generation to be far more realistic in reflecting the variable distribution of trees on a mountain slope.

A tree or two in a scrub field or the changes in tree density with altitude would be very difficult or impossible to capture in OSM data.

I am totally sold on detection versus OSM for trees.

And thanks to Arno for an amazing program!!!:)

cheers

Stu

Hi

Has anyone been able to get the FilterFeatures command to work with the DISTANCE_FEATURE argument.

I have a heavily forested rail bed that I am trying to remove the trees from.

Arno's example would indicate that the following should remove trees from a 20m clearance along the rail line feature..

FilterFeatures|FTYPE="POINT" AND type="tree"|railway="rail"|DISTANCE_FEATURE|20

Point features have been added to a landuse="forest" polygon (I assume the points get an attribute of type="tree")

the railway feature has a railway="rail" attribute

but the FilterFeatures command filters 0 features.

An alternative is to add a landuse="railway" polygon around the rail bed and use AddAttributeIfInside tag the offending tree features with skip.

The results look good but I would like to avoid manually deforesting highways, railways and rivers.

Any thoughts?

cheers

Stu

The downside is when I look down and see that I have no legs and no arms it scares the hell outta me but the view of the cockpit is absolutely awesome.

Ray

You can enable the display of the pilot body viewed from the PilotCamera

For example in the c172.tmd change

<[uint32][ShowInside][CameraCopilot CameraRearSeat CameraRearSeatSide]>

to

<[uint32][ShowInside][CameraPilot CameraCopilot CameraRearSeat CameraRearSeatSide]>

I find seeing the pilot body really helps the VR immersion

cheers

/Stu

It sounds like the only solution that everybody will be happy with is a configurable approach where the pilot can specify

- both hands in VR

- left hand in VR and right hand IRL

- right hand in VR and left hand IRL

- both hands IRL (for those folks that just can't get use to those grey floaty hands)

cheers

Stu

Stu,

could you provide the TOC file for checking it.

I would like to duplicate the problem and get it fixed.

Rodeo

Hi Rodeo

It appears to be the TSC not the TOC

I added the TOC as an additional cultivation file and increased the size element of the Altenrhein airport TSC and the cultivation elements were rendered.

I am not sure yet why the AutogenLocator format would not work.

one step forward

cheers

Stu

Hi Ed

When I first started using JOSM on what i thought was a reasonably small test area, there was an incredible clutter in the map and performance was so slow I could not tell what click the map was responding to.

The most important trick is to define filters so you can eliminate the extraneous detail.

There is a funnel icon on the left border that enables or disables the Filter panel on the right hand side.

When I add a filter expression I made them all "add to selection" which is a bit counter intuitive because it means add to filter selection NOT map selection.

You can pick a preset tag like " Man Made/Power/Power Line". Then control visibility with the tick boxes in the Filter panel

Once you trim out the extraneous stuff the performance becomes usable and you can see what tags are relevant. There is a baggage tag icon on the left that enables the tag panel on the right.

Also there is a menu to download satellite imagery so you can compare the map to reality.

All in all a very useful tool.

cheers

Stu

Thank you... I fly the Cessna almost exclusively in AFS2, so I just wondered if the instruments were blurry in VR after seeing that first image. Would hate to spend thousands on a new system plus a Rift, only to find I can't read the numbers.

- Kenneth

I find the C172 instruments quite readable with the Rift, although the warning text requires some leaning and squinting.

And that is wearing an old pair of glasses with a previous prescription because the smaller frame size fits much more comfortably in the Rift.

I kept holding out for the next generation in VR and finally gave in and bought the Rift CV1.

As many others have stated "why did I wait so long"

cheers

Stu

Hi Kenneth

No, that made no difference.

I always assumed that the indentation was an aid for the author to maintain proper object nesting, and the parser would ignore indents.

Rodeo's Keywest example has indentation irregularities and still works.

Back to banging my head against the wall.

thanks anyway

Stu

I am frustrated and confused by cultivation!!!

I was able to get the OSM file for a small test area between the IPACS CH DLC and ORBX LOWI

I was able to look at the content in JOSM (although it is painfully slow on large or complex map files

and I am still figuring out the tagging/filtering mechanism)

At this point I am just cultivating plants.

When I run scenProc it claims to generate 22,000 plants and the TOC file looks reasonable.

<[file][][test]

<[cultivation][][]

<[string8][coordinate_system][lonlat]>

<[list_plant][plant_list][]

<[plant][element][0]

<[vector3_float64][position][9.769118 47.175264 0]>

<[vector2_float32][height_range][8.000000 25.000000]>

<[string8][group][broadleaf]>

<[string8][species][]>

>

I used Kenneth's AutogenLocator approach in the TSC. (test.txt)

But when start Aerofly at that location no trees are rendered. It's probably something forehead slapping simple and stupid but after N iterations through the process I don't see what it is.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

Stu

I fly 100% VR (unless I am jumping in and out to check scenery dev results)

I primarily fly in the ASG29 around LOWI (thanks ORBX) with a Logitech Extreme 3D joystick and Rift

I have a reclining office chair with a footrest so my body position almost matches the pilot position in the ASG.

I always fly with the pilot shown inside.

The sense of immersion is amazing.

Even though I do not have rudder pedals, when I apply some rudder my brain tells me my legs are moving.

I fly with the left hand controller (which shows while flying again with the latest updates) and right hand joystick . The VR hand appears to rest on the VR leg when my hand rests on my leg IRL. Unfortunately flight controls are not yet active with VR controllers, but even so it is useful to have the controller. I can exit to the menu with a joystick key assignment and manipulate menu entries to adjust settings or view the moving map without taking the headset off (or getting out of my comfy chair)

For me LeapMotion style hand tracking would be ideal (if the tracking can be stabilized).

And if the pilot arms were animated accordingly, the immersion would be even better.

cheers

Stu

Hi Kenneth

You can move applications within the Steam environment. In the Steam app under Steam > Settings > Downloads

At the top of the page is Steam library Folders. You can add new folders on alternate drives.

Then right mouse on the the Aerofly FS 2 game entry for Properties > Local Files tab and select the alternate disk. It will take a while to move the 100 gig but Steam is happy with the results.

I did a lot of shuffling about when I added a M.2 NVME stick for the system drive. Due to MBR / GPT incompatabilities I had to do a clean Windows install on the M.2

I was able to reinstall the Steam core on the new system drive and just reconfigure the alternate SSD and Steam picked up all the previously installed Aerofly content (although I was holding my breath during the process). Canned environments don't always do what you expect or want, but this worked.

cheers

I realize adding the moving map to the zander is a break with reality, but jumping back to the menu and selecting the Location page kind of breaks the immersion as well.

A tablet/smartphone kneeboard would be ideal as it could be zoomed and moved closer to the POV to overcome the VR resolution issues (and help my challenged eyesight) but I am not holding my breath.

I was poking in the dark trying to infer the object interactions.

Is there any object model documentation that IPACS would be willing to share as part of the SDK?

Assuming that a tablet kneeboard would be a ways down the road,

I was wondering if there was any to re-purpose the moving map from the C172

Snipping out what seemed relevant from c172.tmd and inserting into asg29.tmd I was able to get the moving map to display on the Zander screen

asg29 moving map.bmp

The Zander definition has a "Page" element so I thought I might be able to display the moving map as an alternate page. No luck. There does not seem to be a way to associate elements with pages.

Also currently no way to switch pages while flying. The moving map display depends on the precedence order in the RenderList and supercedes the Zander output display.

The Zander screen is also rather small and does not appear to have any way to zoom the map.

An interesting exercise in poking at the aircraft object model but I don't think this will be a useful approach for a moving map.

I guess I will just have to wait for the tablet kneeboard. :(

VR Hands using Oculus Touch are coming to Aerofly soon.

Does this this include animation of the pilot figure arms to match VR hand position?

I like to fly with the pilot figure shown inside the cockpit for better immersion.

While you are thinking about VR "body issues".

What about coordination of pilot head position with the headset position?

I am constantly adjusting POV slightly to avoid looking through the back side of Thomas's eyebrows.

Just thinking ahead :*.

Partially correct.

It is not a hard landing that is at fault but the camera position

Because the ASG29 was leaning on the left wing the left wing camera POV was from below ground.

I tested with lowering the tail camera and got the same result.

The camera rendering does not seem to like negative AGL positions.

About 30 years ago I used to fly hang gliders, a few times at Harris Hill, but mostly at Hammondsport and Dansville with the Finger Lakes Association of Pilots (FLAP)

Back when I was young and invincible.

I generated some scenery for Dansville and you can still the the launch clearing I helped to brush out on the ridge.

It sure brought back some memories.

Totally enjoying the ASG29