Route as a list on the Navigation page

• I noticed that when you are creating a flightplan on the Navigation page you never get to see the actual route as a list with the track of each leg. I want that because I sometimes fly using VOR only and then I need the correct track (heading/radial) for each leg. I did notice that once you leave the page and get back to it you DO see a list of the plan! I found that to be quite odd. It wasn't until now that I discovered that when you are on the Navigation page you can click on the word ROUTE in the lower left corner to see the entire flightplan as a list! Afaik this isn't explained on the wiki page so I thought I might as well post it here for everyone else who was missing this feature. ;)

BTW I do hope the Navigation page will be updated when the ATC has been finished because as it is now it's pretty hard to figure out radials, specially for triangulation, with all those automatically generated take off and landing fixes.

• J van E,

You just keep discovering these secrets and dropping hints about not being told beforehand.

Here is a copy of a composite screenshot showing the many screens available when preparing and flying a flight plan. You can see at the far right the flight plan in table format clearly showing the Track in degrees and the distance for each leg. Surely this can be used for your VOR manual tracking.

There might be other secrets hidden in the Aerofly FS2 review that was published in February, 2017 at Avsim.com. 😕

Regards,

Ray

https://www.avsim.com/home/reviews/a…imulator-r4002/

• You can see at the far right the flight plan in table format clearly showing the Track in degrees and the distance for each leg. Surely this can be used for your VOR manual tracking.

Yes, that's indeed the screen you get when you click on Route. (I wasn't asking where the screen was, I was posting how to get it without leaving the Navigation page. ;) ) And yes, you can use it for figuring out radials but it's a bit cumbersome and not easy: it would be nice if there was an easy way to figure out the radial from a VOR to a certain spot on the map without having to fool around with adding waypoints (which is made complicated by the automated waypoints). But maybe that's too much to ask for a sim like this: I doubt if the regular AFS2 users flies using VOR triangulation. ;)

Edited once, last by J van E (May 27, 2018 at 2:59 PM).

• Here is another screenshot showing the flight plan in table format with Track and Distance for each leg. This is also in the Avsim review linked above. A simple screenshot should make it available as a popup during flight and you can print it out and place it on your kneeboard.

Regards,

Ray

• J van E,

Yes, you are most likely in a very small group if you want to calculate VOR radials manually. Are you doing this for the A320? Ha. 😬 If so, you are probably the only pilot on Earth doing so. But, as they say - to each, his own.

Regards,

Ray

• I suppose you know that many free flight planning web based programs are available that will let you enter your flight plan and will calculate the VOR path. As far as specific radials, all I remember is that if know if you are coming or going then the TO / FROM makes sense and radials are always from a VOR station.

I like http://www.Skyvector.com for these sort of things. Once done, I can add the flight plan to the Nav screen and go fly. I send the same flight plan over to my FSWidgets and can track progress on the moving map. Btw, the FSWidgets also shows the track and distance in a table, maybe even the radials on the map. 🤪

Regards,

Ray

• I'm not laughing at you J Van E, I respect anyone trying to simulate flight properly and I understand the importance of navigating to real world standards of safety. The real world waypoints are in many cases present in Aerofly, you have to just select the appropriate one for your plan.

This is a way of getting a specific radial/dme fix in Aerofly. Perhaps full control will become available in the future, our friends have said that the fixed 2,000 feet, 10 mile finals fix will get .... fixed in the future.

Flying the end of the route needs to be flown manually, the best way to enjoy Aero!

Here is why a small proportion of users like to do real world navigation, Ontario, California.

From SkyVector and Google Earth.

• J van E,

Yes, you are most likely in a very small group if you want to calculate VOR radials manually. Are you doing this for the A320? Ha. 😬 If so, you are probably the only pilot on Earth doing so. But, as they say - to each, his own.

Regards,

Ray

The A320...? What made you think I only fly that plane? I don't think I've flown that one since the release of the Dash but I mainly fly the C172 now in AFS2. And I simply sometimes like to fly it 'as in the old days' so without GPS. It's big fun flying to an airport that doesn't have a VOR nearby using VOR triangulation.

I suppose you know that many free flight planning web based programs are available that will let you enter your flight plan and will calculate the VOR path.

I would like to do that within AFS2 but yes, it's a good idea: I might see what happens if I create a plan in Plan-G, write it down and then fly it in AFS2. Then I won't have to use the AFS2 planner at all! (Because I actually don't want a flightplan in AFS2 at all when I fly this way.)

As far as specific radials, all I remember is that if know if you are coming or going then the TO / FROM makes sense and radials are always from a VOR station.

If that is all you remember you might want to check out this (if I may say so) excellent tutorial:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/3…e-vor-tutorial/

;)

Btw, the FSWidgets also shows the track and distance in a table, maybe even the radials on the map.

That would spoilt the entire idea... ;)

This is a way of getting a specific radial/dme fix in Aerofly.

I am not sure what way of getting this in Aerofly you are trying to explain...

EDIT
    Just had a look at Plan-G and that may work indeed! One big disappointment though: I never realised that AFS2 lacks a LOT if airports! In the area where I was flying today (around Orbx's Montery) AFS2 showed 3 airports while in Plan-G (using P3D data) there were 7...! I always presumed AFS2 offered all available airports.

Edited once, last by J van E (May 27, 2018 at 6:47 PM).

• J van E.

That is all I NEED to remember about VOR radials. I was writing VOR Navigation and Loran tutorials when you were still in diapers. :) . The world moves on, check out GPS and GTN navigation some rainy day.

I suggest you read the referenced review that illustrates the missing or included airports in the Southern California area. The numbers are probably similar in central and northern California part of the DLC. There are lots yet to be realized about our flight sim.

Regards,

Ray

• That is all I NEED to remember about VOR radials. I was writing VOR Navigation and Loran tutorials when you were still in diapers. . The world moves on, check out GPS and GTN navigation some rainy day.

LOL Sorry! ;) I knopw about GPS and GTN but sometimes I like to turn back time. ;)

I suggest you read the referenced review that illustrates the missing or included airports in the Southern California area. The numbers are probably similar in central and northern California part of the DLC. There are lots yet to be realized about our flight sim.

Will do. ;) Never realised that so much was still missing.