VR floating planes

• I have never been able to stop planes up to 50feet away in VR when they are on the ground looking like they are floating above the runway.

If you use either your left or right eye on its own the perspective looks correct but opening both eyes it looks strange and out of perspective .

Is there a fix for this?

• Official Post

VR works best in 4D sceneries and we even thought about limiting VR to these 3D rendered scenes only but decided not to.

In panoramic sceneries both eyes see the same background image and if you see the rc model in front of that background your head assumes it is as far away as the shadow it casts on the background. This visual illusion is tricking you into thinking that it's floating above the runway.

We could disable 3D all together in panoramic scenes but that defies the purpose of having VR in my opinion. It works great as long as you fly above you or if you can ignore the shadow or relation to the ground.

Regards,

Jan

• VR works best in 4D sceneries and we even thought about limiting VR to these 3D rendered scenes only but decided not to.

In panoramic sceneries both eyes see the same background image and if you see the rc model in front of that background your head assumes it is as far away as the shadow it casts on the background. This visual illusion is tricking you into thinking that it's floating above the runway.

We could disable 3D all together in panoramic scenes but that defies the purpose of having VR in my opinion. It works great as long as you fly above you or if you can ignore the shadow or relation to the ground.

Ya, this is a pretty well known issue. It does not effect my VR enjoyment since the 4D flying fields are already very good. Maybe there should be a note somewhere that suggests that you will get the best results in VR using the 4D flying fields. I love RC8 in VR!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

• VR works best in 4D sceneries and we even thought about limiting VR to these 3D rendered scenes only but decided not to.

ok thanks for the explanation , maybe add a note to the VR menu as I spent hours trying to work out if it was my setup, Thanks.

• Ya, this is a pretty well known issue. It does not effect my VR enjoyment since the 4D flying fields are already very good. Maybe there should be a note somewhere that suggests that you will get the best results in VR using the 4D flying fields. I love RC8 in VR!

Thanks I am surprised admin answered before you! How is your 3090 going? I have i9 9900Ks Oc to 5.3 ghz and a 2080Ti but its hard to find anyone to say whether its worth moving from the 2080ti on any sim yet. What's your opinion ? Cheers

• Bellah1w I went from a gtx1080ti to a rtx3090 and I think it has been a significant improvement on everything. Especially with my wireless Quest 2 because the rtx2000/3000 havew much faster encoders. Your rtx2080ti is still a very good gpu imho. If you have money to burn go for a 3080ti or 3090. Either that, or wait for the nvidia 4000 series (2023-2024?). Personally, I'm hoping my 3090 tides me over until the 5000 series. I like to try to buy the best of any series then skip the next one.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

• Bellah1w I went from a gtx1080ti to a rtx3090 and I think it has been a significant improvement on everything. Especially with my wireless Quest 2 because the rtx2000/3000 havew much faster encoders. Your rtx2080ti is still a very good gpu imho. If you have money to burn go for a 3080ti or 3090. Either that, or wait for the nvidia 4000 series (2023-2024?). Personally, I'm hoping my 3090 tides me over until the 5000 series. I like to try to buy the best of any series then skip the next one.

Always good advice Tom !